Deluxe Sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, "deluxe" bedrooms (simply "bedrooms" on Amtrak.com) are on the upper level. Five on the regular sleepers, 10 on a "deluxe" sleeper (only on the Auto Train, and none in a transdorm car.
On the lower level there are 4 roomettes, one family bedroom (taking the entire width of the car) and one handicapped accessible bedroom (taking the entire width of the car).

There is no smoking on any of Amtrak's trains except the Auto Train "smoker's penalty box". If you are referring to the "powder/changing room" then, no. You don't find that in sleepers because you can change in your room or in the shared shower. I'll post the car layouts in a second.
I called Amtrak last night to, once again, go over my tickets and reservations and make sure that everything was still on the same page.

While he was telling me how the reservations read on his screen, he confirmed that we were in "deluxe" bedroom B on train 49, then in "deluxe" bedroom D on train 7, then in "deluxe" bedroom E on train 11, and so on...

I didn't challenge him on his use of the word "deluxe", but I sure was surprised to hear an Amtrak agent using the term. :huh:
*Shrug*

I've heard TAS's use the term, I suppose it has to deal with how long you've been with the company and what language you were trained with. No doubt if Amtrak changes the name again then the new hires of today will still call them roomettes and such for decades to come.

*Shrug*
No doubt if Amtrak changes the name again then the new hires of today will still call them roomettes and such for decades to come.
I still - and probably will always (or at least for a long time to come) - refer to the NEC trains as "Regionals", not "Northeast Regionals"! :rolleyes:
Thats cause you yankees think civilization stops @ the Hudson!Now that youre a semi-permanent resident of PDX perhaps youll need to call the Cascade trains the NW Regionals! Me, Im so old Id still refer to the Acelas as Metroliners if I still resided in the NE! :lol:

No, "deluxe" bedrooms (simply "bedrooms" on Amtrak.com) are on the upper level. Five on the regular sleepers, 10 on a "deluxe" sleeper (only on the Auto Train, and none in a transdorm car.
On the lower level there are 4 roomettes, one family bedroom (taking the entire width of the car) and one handicapped accessible bedroom (taking the entire width of the car).

There is no smoking on any of Amtrak's trains except the Auto Train "smoker's penalty box". If you are referring to the "powder/changing room" then, no. You don't find that in sleepers because you can change in your room or in the shared shower. I'll post the car layouts in a second.
I called Amtrak last night to, once again, go over my tickets and reservations and make sure that everything was still on the same page.

While he was telling me how the reservations read on his screen, he confirmed that we were in "deluxe" bedroom B on train 49, then in "deluxe" bedroom D on train 7, then in "deluxe" bedroom E on train 11, and so on...

I didn't challenge him on his use of the word "deluxe", but I sure was surprised to hear an Amtrak agent using the term. :huh:
*Shrug*

I've heard TAS's use the term, I suppose it has to deal with how long you've been with the company and what language you were trained with. No doubt if Amtrak changes the name again then the new hires of today will still call them roomettes and such for decades to come.
At least they dont call them "Junior Suites" or some other Marketing made up term, roomettes and bedrooms are pretty good explainatory terms, bedroom suite also makes good sense! Wonder if there is a "task force' or 'work group" @ Amtrak working on dreaming up new terminology to fit "Modern Times?" :lol:

*Shrug*
No doubt if Amtrak changes the name again then the new hires of today will still call them roomettes and such for decades to come.
I still - and probably will always (or at least for a long time to come) - refer to the NEC trains as "Regionals", not "Northeast Regionals"! :rolleyes:
Thats cause you yankees think civilization stops @ the Hudson!Now that youre a semi-permanent resident of PDX perhaps youll need to call the Cascade trains the NW Regionals! Me, Im so old Id still refer to the Acelas as Metroliners if I still resided in the NE! :lol:
Unlike the wild west (or whatever part of the universe Texas comes from), we in the civilized world have more than 1 train per day in each direction! :p

*Shrug*

At least they dont call them "Junior Suites" or some other Marketing made up term, roomettes and bedrooms are pretty good explainatory terms, bedroom suite also makes good sense! Wonder if there is a "task force' or 'work group" @ Amtrak working on dreaming up new terminology to fit "Modern Times?" :lol:
It would probably be too simple to call them "Connecting Bedrooms". Suite infers a parlor room, and of course, there is none.

Last edited by a moderator:

*Shrug*

It would probably be too simple to call them "Connecting Bedrooms". Suite infers a parlor room, and of course, there is none.
Connecting bedrooms is certainly more accurate. "Bedroom Suite" or "Suite" has been used to describe 2 bedrooms with the partition removed on trains since at least the 1930s, though.

I still call them Economy Bedrooms and Delux Bedrooms, the original Amtrak names when the Superliners were delivered. If I slip talking to Amtrak, they still know what I mean, though.

As to renaming, note that Via has jettisoned traditional names entirely. They now have Cabin for 1, Cabin for 2, Cabin for 3, and Cabin for 4. On the Canadian it translates to:

Cabin for 1 is a "real" roomette, either standard or duplex. Duplex is not a deal since it smaller for the same money.

Cabin for 2 is EITHER a bedroom or a compartment (a real deal, since a compartment is larger).

Cabin for 3 is a drawing room.

Cabin for 4 is bedroom suite/suite (connecting bedrooms).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to keep from saying words like pullman, porter or stewardess (for the planes, though a few railroads had them, too).

And it is hard to get used to the new (new to me, that is) merged names for the freight railroads.

And, much more current, it is hard to not say deluxe bedrooms, especially since I consider them exactly that compared to the smaller rooms.

And all those years the roomette was for one person only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back