DEN to LAX: Raton connection reliable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I just booked a trip from Denver to Los Angeles on the Southwest Chief. I didn't receive an eticket, which I guess is because there's an Amtrak Thruway bus leg from Denver to Raton and the bus isn't equipped to read them. The bus leaves Denver at 5:30 a.m. and is scheduled to arrive in Raton at 10:20 a.m. to meet the SWC, which is due in at 10:56. If there's some kind of bus delay, is the train likely to be held? And is this a regular Greyhound bus or a contracted Amtrak-only route? I ask because Greyhound doesn't list a bus leaving Denver for Raton anywhere near 5:30 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I cut/pasted from the Amtrak SWC Schedule at www.Amtrak.com
If you get bumped off of Amtrak 3 due to a bus delay, I am not sure of the accommodations at Raton.

Denver • Colorado Springs • Pueblo • Raton

(Greyhound Lines)

3 Connecting Train Number 4

8603 Mile Thruway Number Symbol 8604

5 30A Dp Denver, CO–Amtrak Station (MT) Ar 9 10P

7 10A Ar Colorado Springs, CO > Dp 7 40P

8 10A Ar Pueblo, CO > Dp 6 45P

10 20A Ar Raton, NM –Amtrak Station (MT) > Dp 5 05P

The last I took the SWC thru Raton, there was a Greyhound waiting at the stop. Only 1 passenger from the train got on the bus, towards Denver. As this was a full sized bus, I assume this was a regular route. (I doubt they would run a 50 passenger bus for just 1 passenger.)

If this is a Thruway service, I don't think the SWC can leave unless the bus gets there. I assume this is a guaranteed connection and that the SWC will wait for the bus for a reasonable time. (It may not wait if the bus is 10 hours late, but should is the bus is 30 minutes late.)

These are my thoughts only.

It is a guaranteed connection, and it is FAR more likely that the train will be late than will the bus.

Thanks for the info. I asked about all this because the Greyhound schedules for Denver-Raton Amtrak and Denver-Raton yield other curiosities, too. According to these timetables, the only Greyhound bus that arrives at 10:20 a.m. to meet the Southwest Chief leaves around midnight and doesn't get there until the next day. It's a 10-hour trip with a transfer in Pueblo. So is Amtrak Thruway dedicated service?

Work-related issues forced me to cancel the trip. Hoping to do the trip this fall sometime. You can let me know how yours went!

Leigh

From what I see on the Greyhound and Amtrak websites, it looks like Amtrak runs a dedicated bus from Denver to Pueblo, which then continues on to Raton. Other (non-Amtrak) Greyhound passengers wishing to travel from Denver to Raton must take the bus leaving Denver at 11:50 PM the night before and spend about 6 hours in Pueblo waiting for the arrival of the dedicated Amtrak bus to "catch up" with them at Pueblo. From Pueblo on, I would assume that they are all riding in the same bus.

Why would Greyhound do it this way? Perhaps because they don't want large numbers of other connecting Greyhound passengers sitting overnight in the Denver bus station waiting for a 5:30 AM departure to Pueblo and beyond -- better to send them on to Pueblo the night before and let them sit overnight in the Publo bus station.

From advice from Swadian Hardcore recently on this topic, the bus does not show in the regular Greyhound timetables, but will also carry other non-train passengers for points between Denver and Raton, where it terminates. It starts at Denver Amtrak, not the Greyhound station. I plan to take it in October. Anybody have more feedback on this route?

I was on the westbound Southwest Chief a couple of years ago, and the bus was late about an hour late due to snowstorm conditions on I-25. We waited for the bus at Raton. Just one experience, YMMV.

PS-there may be some advantage to being the only train. The BNSF dispatcher was clear he didn't care we sat there holding the main, they weren't doing anything with it.

I have taken the route from Denver to Raton (and back) to catch the SWC a few times.

It has been a couple of years since I did the DEN to RAT but did the RAT to DEN in March.

From what I can remember from past trips, it seems the passengers on the thruway bus have mostly been Amtrak passengers. I think there have been a couple of people who get on and off in Colo Springs and Pueblo once in a while.

The bus ride is nice because there have been so few passengers on it. It has never made sense why they would run the big Greyhound bus for so few people(usually 5-10). The bus is old, have never had it break down on this route.

There was one time the bus did not come to the Amtrak station, this was some time ago. The Amtrak employee came out, said the bus was late, he was calling a cab. The cab took us to the Greyhound bus building. The bus was about two hours late. When we boarded that bus other non Amtrak passengers boarded but there were maybe 10 people on the bus. I think there were only 2 of us for Amtrak and one non Amtrak who went to Albuquerque with us.

We missed the train in Raton and the bus driver stopped at McDonald's for us to get food because he was taking us to Albuquerque. When we got back on the bus in Raton, the driver said the bus was now a charter. We just barely made it in time for the train in Albuquerque.

One time one of the thruway bus drivers told me, they drive DEN to RAT, stay in a hotel all day and then take the Amtrak passengers back to DEN.

But...on my March trip, RAT to DEN, the train was maybe a couple of hours late. There was not a bus waiting for us, which there usually is, with no Greyhound passengers. The wind was blowing hard, it was snowing, we are trying to ask the train what to do. They said a bus was on it's way to wait inside. I asked what if it doesn't come? I was told to call Greyhound. I was nervous being left in Raton like that, there is nothing in that station but some seats and restrooms. There were about 5 of us waiting. A Greyhound bus did come and it was almost full of Greyhound passengers, it was kind of awful trying to find a seat. And it was an old old bus but we made it to Denver. This has me wondering, do the drivers spend the day in Raton waiting to take people back or did they change it? What happened to the bus that should have been there for us? I will never know.

One of things that worries me on this route in the winter is snow over Raton Pass. Once in a while they do close it because of snow. That is the reason I only did the one way in March(RAT-DEN) I saw a big storm moving down there and was nervous about missing the train and did not want to spend a day of my vacation stranded in Trinidad or Raton. So I opted to take the Greyhound bus to Las Vegas(I think it was on here I learned they have new and refurbished buses going out of Denver). It was a very pleasant ride. The bus was shiny, they have wifi, it smelled good. However, the seats are really small and no leg room. Turns out the roads did not get bad down there but I was able to see the better Greyhound buses.

I have always enjoyed the bus ride down to Raton, it is always an old bus but the bus is not full, it stays clean, restroom stays clean.

One thing, take some drinks and snacks for the thruway ride, then you have them if the train should be late in Raton. There is some kind of store across the street from the Raton station which I think has snacks for sale. There are vending machines in Colo Springs, not sure about Pueblo(new station I haven't gone in). The bus used to stop in Trinidad at a gas station with snacks. Not sure if they still do or not.

Also from the past, the Denver station opens at 5:30AM, the bus leaves at 5:30AM. At the temporary station I had been able to quickly go in and use the restroom in the station once they opened before the bus left. I don't know if this is possible at the new station, restrooms are downstairs, not sure where they will be when they fully open the station.

The restroom on the bus has always been clean for that trip.

I hope this helps!

Also from the past, the Denver station opens at 5:30AM, the bus leaves at 5:30AM. At the temporary station I had been able to quickly go in and use the restroom in the station once they opened before the bus left. I don't know if this is possible at the new station, restrooms are downstairs, not sure where they will be when they fully open the station.
Once Denver Union Station fully reopens on July 12th, the station should physically be open 24 hours; it'll have a hotel located in it, after all. It'll also have a restaurant which will probably open at 6:30 AM, and two bars which will probably close really late, and buses running all the time. They might do something stupid like locking the public bathrooms up during the wee hours, but I wouldn't expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back