Derailment halts Amtrak service in Connecticut

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the current service advisory, that's got to be a LONG trip, but one I would enjoy making:

UPDATE: Amtrak Providing Special Services to Accommodate Passengers Between New York and Boston Detour Set Up via Springfield, Mass.
March 17, 2013
10:25am EDT

Due to the overnight derailment of a Providence & Worcester freight train in the New Haven, Conn. area, which is blocking tracks on the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak service remains suspended between New York and Boston. However, Amtrak is making special arrangements for passengers attempting to travel between those cities today.

Train 162, which departed New York Penn Station at 10:10am, will operate to New Haven and then detour to Boston South Station via Springfield, Mass. Passengers should allow several hours of extra time to make this special trip. The train will only stop at New Haven, Springfield, Mass. and Boston South Station.

For passengers traveling south to New York from points north of New Haven, Amtrak will pick up passengers from the following stations at the following times and bring them back to Boston to board a special train to New York via the same detour:

- Kingston - 10:40 departure
- Providence - 11:00
- Rte 128 - 11:32

Passengers should allow significant extra time to make this trip in either direction.

Amtrak crews remain on the scene of the derailment 3 miles east of New Haven. There is still no estimate for resumption of service.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.
Guess I'll have to stop at New York-Penn Station to photograph the departure board from more service changes from afar (I have a couple of everything canceled as well). Guess the derailment happened outside the Metro-North Yard, their website is claiming Good Service, Shore Line East has been replaced by buses to Old Saybrook.

News on it:

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2013/03/17/news/doc5145a73a25208535591439.txt

It is just outside of Cedar Hill Yard, so past Mill River just at the curve where NEC cirves away to the left apparently.

Theoretically I suppose they could tow a train out by its tail past the site and then push it back onto the NEC past the derailment over the other leg of the Y. But I am not sure about this. Maybe the Y lead is blocked too.

Who here has a passion and love for trains so much that they are humping the back end of them??? :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

new_haven_photographer_jeffrey_kerekes-9035_zps77f8ede2.jpg

I got on 66 this morning at NYP and there were announcements that 67 was ending in New Haven "with no alternate transportation." Quite a commotion about whether it would be better to get to NHV (at 4 am) and try luck from there, or stay in New York.

Well, if the workmen run out materials to make repairs at least theirs a Lowes right across the tracks.

Then it can get a one-up on Home Depot to brag not only do they sell stuff to fix houses, but they can fix America's railroads too!

Nice.
How does this even happen?
This happened when ATK 371 misread a Resrticting signal and then ended up rear ending a COFC jnear Chicago Union Station.
Don't they have to acknowledge the signal on their control panel? Isn't there a "slow down" warning before the "restricting" warning as well?
Not in that area, it's not cab signaled. (To be clear, the incident of ATK 371 is what I'm referring to)

IIRC there were two Engineers aboard 371 when that incident happened, and there was an issue where one Engineer thought it was a Restricting signal and the other thought it was a less restrictive indication. Now of course the golden rule that was broken was, "When in doubt, stop." Notwithstanding it just highlights how ridiculous it is that with as many thousands of miles of railroad as there are in this country we haven't come up with a uniform set of signals, and a uniform rule book. I fear it will take more people dying before that becomes reality. PTC will help with signal compliance, but there's a lot of other rules out there that signals don't enforce that can cause loss of life...

You use that term "rare" so loosely... :giggle: Don't get me wrong, it still surprises me they got rid of the inland route trains being regularly scheduled. But it's still legal to travel all of those miles via Shuttle/Vermonter/Regional with a connection to/from 448/449.

Rebecca Dolan writes, "In a day and age when traveling has become little more than a series of indignities, riding the rails can itself feel like a vacation. Amtrak is really the only way to travel": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebeccadolan/amtrak-is-the-only-way-to_b_2901972.html

Nice.
How does this even happen?
This happened when ATK 371 misread a Resrticting signal and then ended up rear ending a COFC jnear Chicago Union Station.
This accident was caught on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDYHzBkAjeI

You use that term "rare" so loosely... :giggle: Don't get me wrong, it still surprises me they got rid of the inland route trains being regularly scheduled. But it's still legal to travel all of those miles via Shuttle/Vermonter/Regional with a connection to/from 448/449.
True...I guess I tend to consider "rare mileage" to include odd reroutes like this, as well as substantial re-timings (i.e. something that would put most of CA in daylight for the SWC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back