Desserts changed again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rode the CZ from Emeryville to Denver, I don't recall seeing Mousse on the dessert menu. I too noticed the 'single serve' cheesecake (I think I had it first night dinner). Makes sense from a spoilage/waste issue. I was expecting a cheesecake slice as well (must be a recent change?).

I never understood why people get so worked up with the Pepsi/Coke thing. Yes, they taste different, but I am not sure it is bad different. I worked with a guy that wouldn't go to any restaurant that served Pepsi.

Maybe I just grew up where we had variety (probably whatever was on sale) and actually my dad would buy RC cola because the normal price was usually cheaper. He also bought generics or stuff by regional bottlers (A-Treat or Ma's) and in a variety of flavors.

Now if Amtrak offered a Birch Beer (white, brown, or red), that would make me a happy camper, because that is probably my favorite soda (yes, I call it soda).

I prefer Coke, but will drink Pepsi. The difference isn't that bad, as far as I'm concerned.

Some people don't like Pepsi because it's sweeter than Coke. I actually like both, so I don't mind if a restaurant serves Coke. Honestly, I usually order Sprite/Sierra Mist or root beer, not a cola, so it really doesn't matter to me.

This might sound weird, but I notice differences depending on the way they're served. In cans, Pepsi tastes sort of flat, so I prefer Coke. In 20-oz plastic bottles, though, Coke tastes weird and Pepsi tastes better. From the fountain, they're both good, but I can still taste the sweetness of Pepsi.

I'm disappointed that the only "non-heavy" dessert is now the same sorbet for every meal.

Amtrak used to always have a dessert in the "fruit or nut" category, which I would eat like clockwork with every meal until they ran out. There are now no "fruit or nut" desserts except that one sorbet.

Sad for those of us who don't like our desserts made of 50% sugar and 50% fat.

Coke or Pepsi products? :unsure: Just say no! :)

Breakfast - Coffee & OJ

Lunch- Iced Tea and/or Water

Dinner - Beer

I'm disappointed that the only "non-heavy" dessert is now the same sorbet for every meal.

Amtrak used to always have a dessert in the "fruit or nut" category, which I would eat like clockwork with every meal until they ran out. There are now no "fruit or nut" desserts except that one sorbet.

i enjoyed the fruit dish as a dessert option. went away six or seven years ago. fresh fruit is served as part of the continental breakfast. too bad it can't be a dessert option

It might be nice if there was a presentation-type basket full of Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Mangos and whatever else might be available and if someone wants Fresh Fruit for Dessert the Server brings over the basket and allows the Customer to chose. I have enjoyed picking from a nice selection of Apples and Oranges in a basket on the Coast Starlight Sleeper a few times-don't know if that is an Amtrak or SCA offering.....

The important question here is whether the Cream Puff remains an option. This is my favorite. Did I miss it? I don't see anyone mentioning it in their lists.

Agreed.

Also, I don't recall if it was noted in here previously, but we were told you can only order the sorbet or sugar-free pudding after lunch now. The cheesecake and bundt cake are reserved for dinner. (Not that anyone needs two servings of cake in a day - we just always preferred to have dessert with lunch and then a lighter dinner.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, Sarah. Hadn't heard that.

Seems to me like Amtrak is trying to largely phase out desserts.

Well, maybe it's good policy -- I suppose it means less food to carry on the train and faster turnover of passengers in the dining car, both of which will improve the bottom line. (And since at least 50% of diner passengers are in sleepers with included meals, the loss of dessert revenue won't be that large.)

Now, I absolutely need sit-down meals on a long trip -- being without a diner would cause me to cancel trips, and there's a reason I defend the diners whenever someone proposes getting rid of them. But I can certainly live without desserts -- it won't cause me to stop taking trips. This is probably true for most people.

So it may be good business policy for Amtrak. But it does reduce the service quality. :-(

Ouch, Sarah. Hadn't heard that.

Seems to me like Amtrak is trying to largely phase out desserts.

Well, maybe it's good policy -- I suppose it means less food to carry on the train and faster turnover of passengers in the dining car, both of which will improve the bottom line. (And since at least 50% of diner passengers are in sleepers with included meals, the loss of dessert revenue won't be that large.)

Now, I absolutely need sit-down meals on a long trip -- being without a diner would cause me to cancel trips, and there's a reason I defend the diners whenever someone proposes getting rid of them. But I can certainly live without desserts -- it won't cause me to stop taking trips. This is probably true for most people.

So it may be good business policy for Amtrak. But it does reduce the service quality. :-(
To be fair, this was on Day 2 of a crowded train. They'd already run out of stuff and kept running out as the trip progressed. So, they may have been rationing the more popular desserts for dinner, but the server's actual statement was, "We only serve cheesecake and the bundt cake with dinner. You can choose from sorbet or pudding."

Several Times I have had the Experience of being told in Amtrak Diners "We're out of __________" when Ordering Desert Only to see Crew Members eating said "Out" Desert Item Later! Also when Riding out of Chicago (the Origination Point of the Train!) I've been Told when Ordering Dinner the First Night@ the First Setting: "We're Out of That!" :rolleyes:

LSAs and Servers Making Up Stuff like "We Only Serve Cheese Cake @ Dinner" is NOT Amtrak Policy! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah...

I think that was an LSA decision probably based on current inventory on your particular train. Just my guess.

Sarah...

I think that was an LSA decision probably based on current inventory on your particular train. Just my guess.
That's what I'm thinking too. They were running out of food like crazy.

Several Times I have had the Experience of being told in Amtrak Diners "We're out of __________" when Ordering Desert Only to see Crew Members eating said "Out" Desert Item Later! Also when Riding out of Chicago (the Origination Point of the Train!) I've been Told when Ordering Dinner the First Night@ the First Setting: "We're Out of That!" :rolleyes:

LSAs and Servers Making Up Stuff like "We Only Serve Cheese Cake @ Dinner" is NOT Amtrak Policy! :angry:
Jim,

On the 1/10 CHI-RNO CZ we were offered Chocolate Bundt cake, Cheesecake, Sorbet or Vaniila ice cream for every lunch and dinner. AND, our great SA Lonnie every time offered to heat the Bundt cake and add ice cream if we so desired.

Mike aka NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back