Diner etiquite

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My recent experience (October 2011) was quite embarrassing for me and two other sleeper passengers. We shared a table with a young lady from coash. Our meals were included with our passage. The young lady at our table, of course, had to pay for her dinner. When the menus were provided by the attendant, the young lady almost gasped outloud when she saw the prices. She was seated at the window, and I felt she would have left the dinner if she was seated by the aisle. I have experienced this situation several times before. I think Amtrak should provided a menu for coach riders or post the menu somewhere for review. I think we would all enjoy for dinners without such dramas, not to mention, that it would make it much easier for the attendans to take orders.

My recent experience (October 2011) was quite embarrassing for me and two other sleeper passengers. We shared a table with a young lady from coash. Our meals were included with our passage. The young lady at our table, of course, had to pay for her dinner. When the menus were provided by the attendant, the young lady almost gasped outloud when she saw the prices. She was seated at the window, and I felt she would have left the dinner if she was seated by the aisle. I have experienced this situation several times before. I think Amtrak should provided a menu for coach riders or post the menu somewhere for review. I think we would all enjoy for dinners without such dramas, not to mention, that it would make it much easier for the attendans to take orders.
My experience has been that the menus are generally available as coach passengers enter the dining car - not posted by available on the counter. I have seen the same reaction from coach passengers entering, taking one look at pricing and turning around and heading to the cafe car.

I often see the Menu taped to the Diner end of the Sightseer and as common a practice as that is, I would think someone would be creative enough to make a frame or display board so it looks a little "classier."

I often see the Menu taped to the Diner end of the Sightseer and as common a practice as that is, I would think someone would be creative enough to make a frame or display board so it looks a little "classier."
Excellent suggestion, I see the same thing! Also, while some of our members are irritated by announcements from the LSA in re to the menu, I have heard good LSAs announce whats available in the Diner for Lunch and Dinner with the Prices included! As was said, Sticker Shock can surprise first time riders,even in the Cafe Car!(this includes Sleeping Car pax, Ive met first time riders in Sleepers who didnt know that meals in the Diner, but not the Cafe, were included in their fare! :eek: ) We call them New York Prices down this way! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
The menu - on the SWC, anyway - is in the net holder thingie (what is that called?) on the back of each seat. I pulled it out when arranging my books and such last year. I was a bit surprised by the prices too. I decided to splurge on dinner, though, and it was worth it. That's one of the best steaks I've ever had. I couldn't believe it. :) Still, dinner + milk + dessert + tip was a pretty penny.

Though I did end up writing on the food order sheet before the diner attendant took it from me. Whoops :)
And you lived to tell about it? :lol:
Indeed. Many is the time I have warned neophytes about writing on the order sheet. Often, coach passengers will see sleeper passengers scribbling away and not realize they are merely signing and indicating car and room number. So, then, they figure they need to somehow decipher the codes and indicate their meal choices and have at it. In their defense, dining car attendants do not always warn ANYBODY not to write on the sheet. I believe that more than few enjoy the opportunity to reprimand novices.

Another thought on coach vs. sleeper: I've had a few coach seatmates in the diner ask me, "Why on earth would you spend the extra money for a sleeper?" They act as if I'm a fool for doing so.

On occasion, I've observed that when you travel alone (they were all couples), it's a little different. (I also have had two somewhat unpleasant coach experiences, one involving someone who insisted on the window seat but then got up every half-hour during the night and crawled over me, another with someone who was just...creepy towards me (he apparently had a fetish for women with long hair). So sleeper is worth it to me. If I were married or otherwise attached, I'd probably be more up for coach travel...but going it alone, it's like Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates.

Excellent suggestion, I see the same thing!
Agreed. However this is really only helpful with regard to prices as the typical Amtrak menu is virtually useless with nothing more than generic boilerplate text that doesn't explain what is actually going to be served beyond the vaguest of descriptions. Some sort of sandwich? Check. Some sort of salad? Check. Some sort of pasta thing? Check. Good to know. :rolleyes:

Also, while some of our members are irritated by announcements from the LSA in re to the menu, I have heard good LSAs announce whats available in the Diner for Lunch and Dinner with the Prices included!
I'm fine with them reading a list of the actual meals and prices as that could be helpful to any number of people who are currently riding the train. The main problem I have are all the messages that could just as easily be replaced by looking at your watch. Sure, sometimes things get really out of whack and they need to warn you that they're going to be ten or fifteen minutes late or whatever but most of the time it's not off by much and shouldn't require this much hand holding for adult customers.

Attention all Amtrak passengers on the entire train. The time is now 11:45. Will the (3 or 4) passengers with 11:45 reservations please come to the dining car? Again, if you reserved a space in the diner for 11:45 you will need to come to the diner now. There's no need to remember anything because the time will be written down for you on the reservation slip already in your possession. In a few minutes we will be calling for the next set of reservations at 12:00PM. There will be no need to check your watch though as we'll be constantly reminding you and every other person on the entire train every fifteen minutes for the next few hours and again during dinner. We'll also do our best to keep you updated on every single snack, smoke, phone, meal, and restroom break required by the junk food car attendant. Blah blah blah...

<_<

LOL!

It really doesn't annoy me but, after my last trip on the TE, I totally understand.

My awesome, personality plus, fellow native Chicagoan EYEtalian, LSA - Anthony C. (Clementi, if I recall correctly) started making detailed announcements that included the menu items with the prices.

This was after I saw just about half (not really) of my coach car get up and head to the diner when he made the first announcement (pretty much open seating with only 8 pax in the sleeper)

and then....

I saw them all walk back
laugh.gif

He constantly reminded people that if they wanted snacks, etc that they were available in the Lounge Car.

Also, I really hadn't planned on eating dinner in the diner but after his first fun, welcoming announcement, I just had to go.

Had a 1/2 bottle of wine for myself, a great dinner, and even better service with a lot of banter - stayed for quite a while since there was no one waiting to take my place.

Couldn't get close to finishing the wine and then, at breakfast, they told me - if I wanted it -they saved it for me
laugh.gif

I had the best time in the dining car on that trip - 3 for dinner and 6 for breakfast while I was there - not great for revenue but fun for me.

I'm fine with them reading a list of the actual meals and prices as that could be helpful to any number of people who are currently riding the train. The main problem I have are all the messages that could just as easily be replaced by looking at your watch. Sure, sometimes things get really out of whack and they need to warn you that they're going to be ten or fifteen minutes late or whatever but most of the time it's not off by much and shouldn't require this much hand holding for adult customers.

Attention all Amtrak passengers on the entire train. The time is now 11:45. Will the (3 or 4) passengers with 11:45 reservations please come to the dining car? Again, if you reserved a space in the diner for 11:45 you will need to come to the diner now. There's no need to remember anything because the time will be written down for you on the reservation slip already in your possession. In a few minutes we will be calling for the next set of reservations at 12:00PM. There will be no need to check your watch though as we'll be constantly reminding you and every other person on the entire train every fifteen minutes for the next few hours and again during dinner. We'll also do our best to keep you updated on every single snack, smoke, phone, meal, and restroom break required by the junk food car attendant. Blah blah blah...

<_<

I like when a timezone change coincides with dinner time. Makes for good conversation with both passengers and crew. .

On the EB I recall the LSA saying what the dinner special is and the prices on the speaker.. And pretty much every seat had the Empire Builder Magazine and it has the menu in there.

If I were married or otherwise attached, I'd probably be more up for coach travel...but going it alone, it's like Forrest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates.
Agreed. I get a sleeper when I'm traveling alone because I cannot fall asleep next to a stranger, especially when we're only a few inches away from each other. It's sort of weird and creepy to me. The one time I rode coach by myself, I spent the entire 26-hour trip awake both ways. I figured I could sleep when I got to ABQ/CHI.

That's not to say the men I sat next to weren't friendly and polite; it simply feels odd to me. I just couldn't get comfortable. During the waking hours, we chatted and read books and such, but I just couldn't fall asleep.

When I travel with B, we snuggle up in coach. It's very relaxing. I take the window seat so I don't get motion sickness, and he leans against me to sleep.

Perhaps all you "wealthy" first-class sleeping car poobahs should have treated her for dinner! :)

Sleepers were considered First Class up until maybe two year ago, might be three now. I've heard a few different reasons for why Amtrak attempted to change things, one was to differentiate things from Acela First Class where you get free booze. Like many things Amtrak, some departments made the change and others didn't. So the lounges are still considered First Class lounges, even though Acela only serves 4 of the dozen or so lounges.

Some literature still refers to sleepers as First Class, while other things call it Sleeper class.
At least to me, Coach, Business, and First class still all refer to simply a seat in a car. Yea, you get some additional amenities as you move up, and some more leg room too, but it is still just a seat, amongst many others in the same class.

Sleeper Class gets you a private room or compartment. And a shower.

We find train riders to be some of the friendliest folks around. At the diner, we always say good morning or hello, introduce ourselves by first name, and say we are from Maine. That usually warms things up with no pressure to answer questions.

We find train riders to be some of the friendliest folks around. At the diner, we always say good morning or hello, introduce ourselves by first name, and say we are from Maine. That usually warms things up with no pressure to answer questions.
What % know where Maine is these days? :rolleyes:

That is so well said! Train folks are almost always much more relaxed and friendly than those traveling by air. Think about when is the last time you had good conversation with strangers on a plane. I believe for me that is when 707s and DC-8s still ruled the sky....

Many more know where Maine is, but some still think New Mexico is a foreign country!
New Mexico is the only state I'm aware of that has to put "USA" on the plate. Partly because there are many Americans who are unbelievably ignorant of their own country and partly because there is still much anti-Hispanic and anti-foreigner bigotry we'd rather ignore than address.

"Sure, sometimes things get really out of whack and they need to warn you that they're going to be ten or fifteen minutes late or whatever but most of the time it's not off by much and shouldn't require this much hand holding for adult customers."

Except, sometimes they do. I remember once I was riding the TE, sitting at dinner with a dad and his 11-or-so year old daughter. The guy making the announcements in coach (we could hear them in the diner) made YET ANOTHER "don't walk barefoot" announcements and the girl said, "Wow, they really think they have to repeat things a lot of times for people to hear them" and I quietly said "That's because some people don't listen" and her dad laughed.

But they DON'T. I've seen it. I've seen people walk to the diner to ask when they were going to start serving the 6:45 meal...when they weren't even running behind and it wasn't 6:45 yet.

I guess I'm less surprised by the fact that Amtrak figures it needs to hand-hold because I work in academia, and I've seen all kinds of crazy not-paying-attention or non-direction-following.

Except, sometimes they do. I remember once I was riding the TE, sitting at dinner with a dad and his 11-or-so year old daughter. The guy making the announcements in coach (we could hear them in the diner) made YET ANOTHER "don't walk barefoot" announcements and the girl said, "Wow, they really think they have to repeat things a lot of times for people to hear them" and I quietly said "That's because some people don't listen" and her dad laughed.

But they DON'T. I've seen it. I've seen people walk to the diner to ask when they were going to start serving the 6:45 meal...when they weren't even running behind and it wasn't 6:45 yet.

I guess I'm less surprised by the fact that Amtrak figures it needs to hand-hold because I work in academia, and I've seen all kinds of crazy not-paying-attention or non-direction-following.
Well, I have yet to be on any Amtrak train where the full PA system was working. I always thought they repeated announcements each time after they fixed the PA system in some non-working car.

It was 6pm, and we had a 6pm diner reservation. So, we headed to the dining car. I still remember a rather stern greeting from the LSA "reminding us" that it isn't 6pm until there is an announcement by her saying its 6pm. I wasn't looking for a fight, but apparently the LSA was wrongly assuming that the PA system was actually working in our Viewliner (it wasn't). :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back