Diner - Lounge - Observation -Cafe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
Setting aside engines, baggage cars, crew cars, and sleepers...

We're planning a long distance (sleeper all the way) trip next fall, and I'm getting confused about which train pulls which cars.

The itinerary includes LSL from ROC to CHI, then the EB from CHI to Seattle. Then the CS from Seattle to EMY. Then the CZ from EMY back to CHI, and the LSL back to ROC. I think I know the LSL, but the others have me lost. :blink:

What I'd like to know is what kind of dining car is pulled on the EB, the CS and the CZ. Additionally, I'd like to know what kind of lounge cars, or observation cars, or whatever else they might be called. The promos, and the testimonials seem to describe different things.

The LSL runs with a Diner-Lite car, the converted Amfleet II cafe car.

The Empire Builder runs with a regular dining car, using the old staffing plans, more items cooked on board, real tablecloths, and glass plates and glasses.

The Coast Starlight and the Cal Zephyr run with regular Superliner dining cars using the SDS method of food prep and staffing. That means less food actually cooked on board, staggard seating times for lunch and dinner, paper tablecloths, plastic plates and glasses.

The CS also runs with the Pacific Parlour car, and one can also take meals in there too. The menu is also different than the one found in the dining car.

The Empire Builder runs with a regular dining car, using the old staffing plans, more items cooked on board, real tablecloths, and glass plates and glasses.

The Coast Starlight and the Cal Zephyr run with regular Superliner dining cars using the SDS method of food prep and staffing. That means less food actually cooked on board, staggard seating times for lunch and dinner, paper tablecloths, plastic plates and glasses.

The CS also runs with the Pacific Parlour car, and one can also take meals in there too. The menu is also different than the one found in the dining car.
Thank you very much. Now if you can teach me how to quote back just one line, and not the whole message... :unsure: I have one last question on this topic. How do I find about about this Pacific Parlour car? I'm familiar with CCC, Diner Lite, SDS, and regular old fashioned dining. I just want to find out where to dine, and where to hang out on the EB, CS, and the CZ. :unsure: My bedroom is fine, for the most part, but I don't want to spend the whole trip there. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much. Now if you can teach me how to quote back just one line, and not the whole message... :unsure: I have one last question on this topic. How do I find about about this Pacific Parlour car? I'm familiar with CCC, Diner Lite, SDS, and regular old fashioned dining. I just want to find out where to dine, and where to hang out on the EB, CS, and the CZ. :unsure: My bedroom is fine, for the most part, but I don't want to spend the whole trip there. :rolleyes:
The quoting is easy, just delete the lines that you don't want by dragging your mouse across the lines that you don't want to highlight them. Then just hit the delete key. But be careful not to disturb the quote tags. There is an opening and closing tag, each of which starts with [ and ends with ]. What falls in between includes the word "quote" along with other necessary info.

As for the PPC, I think that it's mentioned in the time table and probably also on Amtrak site. It's a special car located between the sleeping cars and the dining car. You'll have to walk through it to reach the dinner, so you can't miss it. It's an old freight RR car that's been updated some and it acts as a special lounge/observation car, normally for sleeping car pax only. It has been reported that if they don't sell enough wine tasting tickets in the sleepers, that they will then sell tickets in the coaches. But otherwise, coach pax aren't allowed in the PPC.

They also serve meals in the PPC and use a different, but limited menu from the diner. It's your choice whether to eat you meal in the diner or the PPC, but you can't do both for the same meal. There is also a movie theatre downstairs, but I haven't yet heard if they are actually showing movies in it yet.

And of course you can always go to the regular Sightseer Lounge on the other side of the dining car if you wish.

Here are the consists of where the food service cars are in the train(after the sleepers):

LSL Diner-Lite Diner-5 coaches-Amfleet II Lounge Cafe

EB Diner-3 coaches-Sightseers Lounge Cafe*

CS Pacific Parlour Car-Diner-Sightseers Lounge Cafe

CZ Diner-Sightseers Lounge Cafe

*Sightseers Lounge goes to Portland.

Hope this is what you wanted. Enjoy planning your trip! ;) :)

cpamtfan-Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting aside engines, baggage cars, crew cars, and sleepers...We're planning a long distance (sleeper all the way) trip next fall, and I'm getting confused about which train pulls which cars.

The itinerary includes LSL from ROC to CHI, then the EB from CHI to Seattle. Then the CS from Seattle to EMY. Then the CZ from EMY back to CHI, and the LSL back to ROC. I think I know the LSL, but the others have me lost. :blink:

What I'd like to know is what kind of dining car is pulled on the EB, the CS and the CZ. Additionally, I'd like to know what kind of lounge cars, or observation cars, or whatever else they might be called. The promos, and the testimonials seem to describe different things.
I took almost exactly the same route you will be, but in reverse (CHI-EMY-LAX-SEA-CHI-CLE). Excluding the LSL, all have the typical Superliner sightseer lounges (SSL) and dining cars. As mentioned, the EB diner has upgraded service.

NOW, when I was on the Coast Starlight (EMY-LAX and LAX-SEA), I found the alternate menu in the PPC to be a nice change. The menu on the CS diner and all the other trains are almost exactly the same. Even the upgraded EB shares most of its menu with the others). Even though the menu only had three or so choices, they were a nice change of option in the middle of the trip.

The PPC is a much nicer lounge than the normal SSL, so I spent alomst all of my time there. You'll see.

Is the PPC a regular thing on the CS these days? There did seem to be some problem with them when they first appeared (last year?) I am planning a CS trip in the new year as I might be visiting Portland. On a CS related line, does anyone know if repeat of the Tehachapi diversions is likely again?

Is the PPC a regular thing on the CS these days? There did seem to be some problem with them when they first appeared (last year?) I am planning a CS trip in the new year as I might be visiting Portland.
They should be on every CS run - unless they are bad ordered.

On a CS related line, does anyone know if repeat of the Tehachapi diversions is likely again?
I am not aware of any more in the near future.

Is the PPC a regular thing on the CS these days? There did seem to be some problem with them when they first appeared (last year?) I am planning a CS trip in the new year as I might be visiting Portland.

On a CS related line, does anyone know if repeat of the Tehachapi diversions is likely again?
I am not aware of any more in the near future.
Ok , thanks...

Yes, things seem to have stabalized now with the PPC's. So unless one is already out of service due to routine inspections and servicing, like the group saw at the Gathering, when one car is bad ordered there should be a spare. And if there isn't a spare, Amtrak at least once again now seems to be substituting a Sightseer lounge at least. For a while they weren't doing that either.

Setting aside engines, baggage cars, crew cars, and sleepers...We're planning a long distance (sleeper all the way) trip next fall, and I'm getting confused about which train pulls which cars.

I took almost exactly the same route you will be, but in reverse (CHI-EMY-LAX-SEA-CHI-CLE). Excluding the LSL, all have the typical Superliner sightseer lounges (SSL) and dining cars. As mentioned, the EB diner has upgraded service.

NOW, when I was on the Coast Starlight (EMY-LAX and LAX-SEA), I found the alternate menu in the PPC to be a nice change. The menu on the CS diner and all the other trains are almost exactly the same. Even the upgraded EB shares most of its menu with the others). Even though the menu only had three or so choices, they were a nice change of option in the middle of the trip.

The PPC is a much nicer lounge than the normal SSL, so I spent alomst all of my time there. You'll see.
This is the kind of tip I'm looking for. When we took the City of New Orleans in November, I expected the CCC to be crowded, at least in the lounge part. It never was crowded at all, and we visited there three times. There was a little flurry of activity one time, as the coachies came in to get stuff when the CCC first opened, but we were seated in the lounge and just watched them wait for the slovenly counter attendant get around to showing up and begin tending to business. In fact, my wife got a little upset with the wait these coachies were having to experience. She walked into the diner part, and raised hell with the gathered SEATED attendants, and one attendant showed up at the counter almost instantly, albeit begrudgingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back