Diner meals to go

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
When I accompany my mom-in-law to OXN next month, we will be sitting on the lower level due to her inability to navigate the stairs. We will bring some food with us, but my granddaughter and I are planning to eat breakfast in the diner. Would we be allowed to buy a breakfast-to-go to take downstairs to her? I've never seen anyone do this, so don't know if it's possible. Thanks!

Yes, you may purchase meals "to go" in the diner. You may also ask your coach attendant to serve your meals at your seat if you have a disability although an appropriate tip is strongly encouraged.

Yes! However with sleeper class, the waiter/waitress may need a prove that your mother-in-law is a sleeper class rider for a "free" meal.
I didn't see any indication that a sleeper was involved in the trip.

But, that said, it is doable. I see it quite often, though I mostly see it with sleeper passengers where one wants to eat in the diner, and the other doesn't want to/isn't able to walk to the diner, and a second, to-go meal is ordered and prepared just before the person is ready to leave.

Just inform the dining car staff when you sit down that you'll want another meal to-go to bring to someone else, and they'll take care of it.

I was on the Sunset Limited heading to El Paso TX, when a sleeper passenger that was seated at my table asked for a meal for her mother, who was in coach. They took care of it no problem. So yes, you can get meals to go.

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Anthony

Great! Thanks, all. Yes, we will be in coach since its only a day trip (if you consider 3:55am "day")! I've seen lots of SCAs deliver meals to sleepers, but didn't know if coach passengers could get "take out". Also, since coach attendants are as rare as hen's teeth, I wanted to be sure I could take the meal to her and didn't have to wait for an attendant to materialize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back