Dining Car from the Past

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this old Amtrak post card. How long has it been since they had chairs in the dining car?
DiningCar.jpg
i assume this was a promotional photo taken in a railyard somewhere but i sure can't figure out where by the view from the windows? by the way, when did amtrak institute community seating?

Community seating was in vogue way before Amtrak. I recall being asked if it was alright to sit someone at my table back in the early 60's. At least then they did ask!

i assume this was a promotional photo taken in a railyard somewhere but i sure can't figure out where by the view from the windows? by the way, when did amtrak institute community seating?
I believe it was George Pullman with the "Delmonico" -- the first dining car that we'd recognize as such -- in 1868. Diners have always been community seating, long before Amtrak.

Came across this old Amtrak post card. How long has it been since they had chairs in the dining car?
DiningCar.jpg
Promo pics of this type are often done on a set with the camera end open to allow room for the camera, lights, crew, etc. and yet give the sense of spaciousness. The windows are then either matted in or have artwork placed in them for the shoot.

Here is my family back in 1976 in a dining car. The styling (including us!) is quite suspect. There were five us so we had to squeeze three onto one side.
The chairs were still free standing.

This is either on the Sunset Limited or the Southern Crescent (the train actually run by Southern). I am almost certain it is the Crescent.

FYI, I am the blond haired kid by the window.

Picture0024.JPG
And I like the Afro's behind Printman2000's mom!

speaking of old in a brochure i got from AlanB it shows a buffet car were you line up like in a school cafeteria and a lunch lady type person puts what you want on a tray. did amtrak ever really have those type of cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of old in a brochure i got from AlanB it shows a buffet car were you line up like in a school cafeteria and a lunch lady type person puts what you want on a tray. did amtrak ever really have those type of cars.
yes they did. those cars predate amtrak as well. the buffet/lounge cars go back to at least the 1950s.

Auto Train ans Silver Service train, late 80s into the mid 90s. If you couyld scan it onto your computer that would be umm....interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back