Dining on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota 400

Engineer
I will be traveling on #51, the Cardinal, from Cincinnati to Chicago. Breakfast service is expected.

I will be traveling on #3 , the Southwest Chief, from Chicago to Los Angeles.

The Cardinal has a Diner/Lounge while the Southwest Chief has a Dining Car.

Are there any particular menu items on either trains that are recommended?

I have downloaded the menus for both trains.

But, this seems to be an extraordinarily helpful web site for information and I thought I would ask for what you experienced Amtrak "diners" would suggest for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Fondly recall Railroad French Toast from a trip on the Empire Builder in 2002: delicious! But, I have not found that on any current Amtrak menus. No longer available?

Most appreciative of all suggestions and information!

First of all, when are you traveling? If it's soon, then those menus may indeed apply. However, Amtrak changes its menus every six months or so, and they were last changed in May, so they may be due for a change some time soon.

The steak is always popular. I generally don't like steaks, and I like the steaks on Amtrak. Secondly, in general, I highly recommend any menu items that were "inspired by the Amtrak Culinary Advisory Team." They have been consistently good.

I asked about the Railroad French Toast as well, since it's one of my favorites. Even though it's not on any of the menus, I read in another thread here that it's often available. This leads me to my last point - expect substitutions, and be ready for your favorite options to be sold out. To get the best selection, it helps to request a reservation earlier in the meal time rather than later.

When you have Breakfast on the Cardinal do NOT order the French Toast Sticks, they are probably the worst thing served on Amtrak! The Specials are usually good on all Trains and the Lamb and Turkey Shanks are consistently good!The new deserts are good also! I personally think Breakfast on the Superliners is the Best meal on Amtrak, especially the Omelettes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Omelets are usually good. Wife likes the breakfast burritos too.

Steaks have been consistently good. Also like the half chicken, pasta dishes.

Lunch can only be an Amburger with cheese, but there are some interesting specials sometimes as well.

Dessert is cheesecake, or the chocolate delight. YUMMMM! :p

I'm no Vegan, but for lunch try the Chipotle Black Bean Burger on the Chief. In my book WAY BETTER than the pre-cooked Angus burger, which often tends to resemble a hocky puck.

For the price or just a change of pace you cannot go wrong with the Half Chicken as you get a pretty decent size portion of bird. Of course it is all attached together and that combined with the rocking motion of the car make dismantling the thing a difficult task if you are a dainty eater. I just go in with my fingers and tear it into pieces picnic style, making sure plenty of napkins are available. It can be an adventure but you are guaranteed to leave the table with a full belly :)

Word of warning...just got off 29 CapLimited. Menu for dinner and breakfast bore no relationship to the menu I downloaded from amtrak.com less than four hours before boarding.

I can't speak for the Cardinal, as I've never been on it.

We travel the SWC every year. Our favorite items are:

Breakfast - omelet (made to order with cheese, veggies, or cheese and veggies), croissant, chicken-apple-maple sausage, and bacon. The breakfast potatoes are only so-so, but I like the seasoning.

Lunch - Angus steakburger w/ kettle chips. We've never ordered anything else.

Dinner - Half-chicken, steak, ribs (too spicy for me, but he loves them). I've always been able to substitute veggies for the potato, by the way.

Dessert - chocolate bundt cake (if you love sweet/rich desserts - I can't handle it), cheesecake with or without topping (your preference), vanilla ice cream, blood orange sorbet

Are deserts included with sleeper car provided passenger meals? Or are they at anextra cost?

I like the RR French toast for breakfast, Angus burger for lunch and steak for dinner. The g/f is more imaginative with her taste buds than I am, she is Mexican and eats spicier than I. She has yet to hit anything that she dislikes.

The last time I had an opportunity to dine on Amtrak, when one entered the Dining Car, one waited to be seated by the Dining Car Steward. Is this still the case or does one seat oneself?

The last time I had an opportunity to dine on Amtrak, when one entered the Dining Car, one waited to be seated by the Dining Car Steward. Is this still the case or does one seat oneself?
When they call your reservation time, you just go to the dining car and they'll point you to a seat. I usually stand in the doorway until I make eye contact with one of the servers or the LSA.

For breakfast, you just show up. If they're full, they'll start a waiting list and call your party over the PA.

I can't speak for the Cardinal, as I've never been on it.

We travel the SWC every year. Our favorite items are:

Breakfast - omelet (made to order with cheese, veggies, or cheese and veggies), croissant, chicken-apple-maple sausage, and bacon. The breakfast potatoes are only so-so, but I like the seasoning.

Lunch - Angus steakburger w/ kettle chips. We've never ordered anything else.

Dinner - Half-chicken, steak, ribs (too spicy for me, but he loves them). I've always been able to substitute veggies for the potato, by the way.

Dessert - chocolate bundt cake (if you love sweet/rich desserts - I can't handle it), cheesecake with or without topping (your preference), vanilla ice cream, blood orange sorbet
DITTO!!!

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with the dining cars,please remember that it is appropriate to tip the servers if the service is good. Unless you get a bad apple, those people work very hard on those jobs. Enjoy your trip.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with the dining cars,please remember that it is appropriate to tip the servers if the service is good. Unless you get a bad apple, those people work very hard on those jobs. Enjoy your trip.
While it has been some time since I have enjoyed an Amtrak journey, the offering of gratuities is something that I work into my travel budget. I have observed on some cruises on which I have sailed when gratuities should have been offered on the final night of that cruise that dining room tables, previously occupied, were vacant. That is not me! As the service warrants, those that provide such service will be rewarded from my wallet.

The questions that I raise as to what to expect in the dining car is not that I am unfamiliar with the Dining Car. But, that my past experiences are 12 years old! Change happens! And, I would like to be informed as to what to expect.

As a Cardinal regular, I always like the omelet, while my husband enjoys the Continental Breakfast.

For lunch I usually go with either the Cardinal Cheeseburger or the Entrée Salad. My husband either does one of those or the Penne Pasta with Meatballs, or the special. Dessert is either a choice of triple chocolate mousse parfait or NY Cheesecake topped with a fresh strawberry. Unfortunately that's exactly what they mean A fresh strawberry. There is no option for topping on the cheesecake like there is on some of the other trains. The Cardinal staff was told this is how it is, period. So my husband and I have been using strawberry jelly, which works fine.

For dinner I love the beef short-rib in red wine sauce. Husband the Rigatoni Pasta or the Jambalaya.

My big push is to get dinner rolls added for all meals. They're very yummy!

As a Cardinal regular, I always like the omelet, while my husband enjoys the Continental Breakfast.

For lunch I usually go with either the Cardinal Cheeseburger or the Entrée Salad. My husband either does one of those or the Penne Pasta with Meatballs, or the special. Dessert is either a choice of triple chocolate mousse parfait or NY Cheesecake topped with a fresh strawberry. Unfortunately that's exactly what they mean A fresh strawberry. There is no option for topping on the cheesecake like there is on some of the other trains. The Cardinal staff was told this is how it is, period. So my husband and I have been using strawberry jelly, which works fine.

For dinner I love the beef short-rib in red wine sauce. Husband the Rigatoni Pasta or the Jambalaya.

My big push is to get dinner rolls added for all meals. They're very yummy!
Sorry, but I really hope that "Cardinal Cheeseburger" is not an actual description?

I was on the Cardinal about two weeks ago and when I went to the diner for breakfast the dining car attendant loudly shouted an announcement that they were only serving french toast (with blintz) that morning. There was a problem with the food at lunch as well because the cheeseburger bun was cold like it was partially frozen. I don't ride Amtrak for the food but I must say I was underwhelmed with the dining situation on that train. At breakfast there was a five or six year old child across the table from me and the attendant did bring him a huge bowl of strawberries and the kid was pleased with that. It felt like there was a personnel problem happening more than a lack of food but you never know.

I've always been able to substitute veggies for the potato, by the way.
Huh.. Never thought of asking.. I don't eat the veggies.. I will have to try that on my next trip!
They're always surprised (who asks for more veggies?!?), but I can't have a lot of carbs.

Plus, in my experience, the veggies are pretty good. I usually get green beans, which are my favorite, and they've never been mushy. Sometimes I get green beans and carrots. It just depends on what they have available.

I've always been able to substitute veggies for the potato, by the way.
One one several day multi-train trip the friend I was traveling with had pretty well gotten foundered on Amtrak food near the end and at Dinner on the Cal Zephyr asked if he could get a Veggie Plate. Without missing a beat the Server said No Problem and presented a nice selection of the Mixed Veggies, Mashed Potatoes, Rice Pilaf and something else I cannot remember right off hand. Everyone was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back