dining room partners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoulda seen the evil eye and double sneer the man gave me when I asked for the ketchup for my eggs and this was before "we" were asked if we needed more coffee. A quiet or shy person is fine by me, a jack*** can kiss mine! The word "common courtesy" does not mean the dude needed to visit with me while we broke bread (or eggs) but to pretty much ruin my breakfast cuz he didn't want to socialize but then not want to pass the ketchup container as he looked at me like he was Charles Manson was wrong.

Just never put ketchup on a Chicago hot dog. My Iowa born and raised wife has found out that if you do you may find your self under arrest. Trust me the Crook Cook County Jail is not a pleasant place.

:giggle: :wacko: :eek:hboy:
kinda think you got the jail name right the first time! :giggle:

I enjoy the social mix on Amtrak, whether in the dinner, the lounge car, or in coach. I have certainly found a broad mix of dining companions, from the shy to the loud to the decidedly odd (that last was me too!)

I met a very interesting Amish guy in the lounge car once, and he told me a lot about their ways, culture, and his problems and hopes. As with most things, it seems that there is more than one "strand" of Amish, and some areas are different to other groups. America is a colourful place with a great diversity of humankind... thank goodness many of them take Amtrak!

Ed :cool:

I met a very interesting Amish guy in the lounge car once, and he told me a lot about their ways, culture, and his problems and hopes. As with most things, it seems that there is more than one "strand" of Amish, and some areas are different to other groups.
witness.jpg

"He's from Ohio."

Well now that the cat is out of the bag as it were, a few thoughts & comments.

First, let me confirm that Haolerider is indeed who he says he is, a now retired from Amtrak, but former high level manager for Amtrak. As a Senior Director Haolerider reported directly to one of the most senior VP's at Amtrak, and a man who IMHO is one of the best VP's that Amtrak has. There have probably been more improvements at Amtrak in the last six years or so thanks to this VP, than there have been for many years prior.

Next, I want to point out that being a member here was never part of Haolerider's job. He joined up here entirely on his own and has for years been answering questions and as he mentioned, taking things found here back to his boss at Amtrak. He's also intervened a few times on the behalf of people here. The staff here has long been aware of Haolerider and just who he is. And I can tell you, since we can see the IP addresses of all posters, that most of his posts come on his own time from his own house and not while he was at the office at Amtrak.

His dedication to making Amtrak better and trying to do his level best for the riding public are why I often jump in on topics where people soundly criticize all Amtrak management as being useless.

And a personal note from my own experience interacting, or not interacting with Amtrak brass. I rode the Surfliner 799/798 several months ago and an Amtrak official was on board, sitting in the window seat directly in front of me. He made no effort, either coming or going, to talk or interact with even the conductors, let alone passengers. He did talk very loudly and often on his cellphone, when he was in range of service, mostly about how bored he was on the train and was looking to get back to LA for a round of golf the next day. Twice the conductor came by to chat him up, obviously aware of who he was, and was waved off.
And yet many here have had the pleasure of sitting and talking with senior Amtrak managers on their trips. In fact, there were probably 8 to 10 AU members who got a chance to sit and talk with a manager on board the Texas Eagle during our Sunday ride at the Gathering last October to Bloomington/Normal from St. Louis. I didn't time things, but I'd say he sat and spoke with us for at least a good half hour and maybe longer.

So while you made have been a exemplar among Amtrak officials, don't try to pretend that everyone is or was.
I don't think for a moment that he was trying to pretend that everyone is an exemplar employee. In fact, I think he made it quite clear, I've underlined that part.

To suggest that I would "end up with a knife and fork in my torso and savored for dinner" is as inane and to suggest that all Amtrak employees/managers and executives are bumbling idiots -or that all members of this board are argumentative.
I've no doubt that Haolerider can name a few managers at Amtrak who should be looking for work elsewhere. But this is true of any company or any profession. I've taken many a trip with Steve4031 and we've often talked about this. Steve for those who don't know is a teacher in the Chicago school system. I know that if I asked Steve, he could quickly name at least 4 or 5 teachers that he'd love to shove out the door of the school and lock that door behind them.

Simply put, this is human nature. Some do, some don't.

While it would appear that Haolerider missed the "joke" as it were; I also can't totally blame him. After years of being here and seeing frequent posts by many of the members here about just how useless Amtrak management is, it has to hurt at least a little bit when he's here almost every day trying to do his best for Amtrak. Even now, retired from Amtrak, he still comes here to share his knowledge and to help people (especially first time riders) navigate the world of Amtrak.

To be told that you're useless, a waste, not trying, etc., hurts!

Especially when you are trying and you are going out of your way to do the best job you can do. Even to the point of taking your work home with you in a sense, because again, coming here to read & post was never part of his job duties.

Finally let say that part of the issue isn't that all, or even a majority, of Amtrak managers aren't doing their jobs. Many of the problems come back to other issues, things like: union contracts, lack of money, the fact that one simply can't put a manager on every train every day of the week, the fact that employees know the managers, and many other issues.

More often than not, I've had very interesting dining companions on my trips. Certainly you do get the silent types now and again, but most are pretty open if you show interest in them.

Just wanted to add that I am in total agreement with Alan. We have had that conversation several times. In private conversations I have been harsh in my critique of an employee or practice of Amtrak. And then he reminds me of my job. He told me about halorider without revealing names.

I would like to thank halorider publically for his efforts. I think we all want Amtrak to be perfect in our passion to have the best train trip and best rail system possible. However we need to remember to be respectful in our comments and not disparage a hard working group of people on the basis of one person's action.

Halorider and any other Amtrak management or employee, just want to say thanks to your efforts. My trips on Amtrak are important to me, and the thought of the next one often keeps me going when I have a bad day at work. So keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I met a very interesting Amish guy in the lounge car once, and he told me a lot about their ways, culture, and his problems and hopes. As with most things, it seems that there is more than one "strand" of Amish, and some areas are different to other groups.
witness.jpg

"He's from Ohio."
Looks like a fellow from Queens I know just getting off the CZ with frozen toilets! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In 1986 I was on the Canadian going to Vancouver and then to Alaska. We were having lunch on the CP route and I was seated with a senior couple from Ontario, who were less than exemplary, but entertaining in a perverse way. The man was a grizzled looking old grouch. The wife was a magpie who would not shut up and she went on endlessly spewing mostly meanignless drivel, although she was amused at my mispronunciation of " Lake Nipissing. " I thought to myself that I hoped I was not seated with these two characters again. When I detrained in Vancouver I took a taxi and another lady who I had chatted with during the trip joined me. She was in hysterics telling me what happened when the odd couple detrained in Calgary - the old grouch announced to a carload of passenger that " the wife has not had sex with me in forty years! " That may partially have explained their personalities.

A couple of years ago while on the Crescent my uncle and I were joined at breakfast by a man who immediately began, as loudly and rudely as possible, to complain about Amtrak, how horrible the service was, how rotten the food was, and stated quite clearly that every time he had breakfast, the biscuits were always hard as rocks. Well, on this particular trip, we had corn bread instead. He took one bite, pronounced it unfit to eat, and made sure the server, Zenolia, knew all about it. All she could do was look on with an embarrassed look. This man was totally rude, arrogant, and condescending. A trifecta of foibles within humans I don't have much use nor time for. After he (mercifully) left, my uncle and I wondered why he continued to ride Amtrak if he hated it so much.

I haven't had any bad experiences with table mates, although some folks certainly are better conversationalists than others.

Just recently on the Empire Builder, I ended up at a table with someone I recognized but couldn't immediately place--he turned out to be an actor with quite a few credits named Wayne Wilderson, and he was a very nice guy.

I never had any bad table mates. The worst one, if you can even call that, was when I had breakfast going to Chicago, around Toledo via Lake Shore Limited. They were a married couple. Friendly and polite but didnt speak much. Kinda boring. but I had nothing but pleasant experience when dealing with table mates.

While I've had many good experiences in the diner with people I've never met before, one aboard the Capitol Limited, while traveling from WAS to CLE, will never escape me. I was dining at a table with two others, all of us traveling alone. One was a lady who seemed disinterested in any sort of conversation whatsoever, and promptly finished her meal and left. The other was an elderly, mild mannered, and very relaxed gentleman who enjoyed conversation. It turned out he only had months to live, was traveling across the country to see his family, and wanted to take the train since he hadn't done so since his youth.

In 1986 I was on the Canadian going to Vancouver and then to Alaska. We were having lunch on the CP route and I was seated with a senior couple from Ontario, who were less than exemplary, but entertaining in a perverse way. The man was a grizzled looking old grouch. The wife was a magpie who would not shut up and she went on endlessly spewing mostly meanignless drivel, although she was amused at my mispronunciation of " Lake Nipissing. " I thought to myself that I hoped I was not seated with these two characters again. When I detrained in Vancouver I took a taxi and another lady who I had chatted with during the trip joined me. She was in hysterics telling me what happened when the odd couple detrained in Calgary - the old grouch announced to a carload of passenger that " the wife has not had sex with me in forty years! " That may partially have explained their personalities.

To add to this story, the lady told me in the taxi, that the glares the wife gave the old grouch husband were looks to kill - priceless!

Generally we have have great table mates,however we did have a guy that didn't talk at all. Toward the end of breakfast, he said he wasn't feeling well! My wife and I were thinking why didn't you have your meal in your room then.

GregL

We were returning last week from LA to ATL via Chicago and Washington. On the Capitol Limited we were seated with a lady who was a passenger as much out of fear as she was out of a preference for trains. She said she was terrified in the air, then she worried about the return flights all through her out-of-town meetings. Now, she says her travel is train-only even if her bosses would prefer that she fly. Finally we asked her who she worked for and she said "Promise not to laugh? The Federal Aviation Administration". No don't go faulting us - you'd laugh too, and as hard as we did. Fortunately she has a good sense of humor and it turned into the most enjoyable meal we had on the trip. I hope we're seated with her again sometime. :giggle:

While I've had many good experiences in the diner with people I've never met before, one aboard the Capitol Limited, while traveling from WAS to CLE, will never escape me. I was dining at a table with two others, all of us traveling alone. One was a lady who seemed disinterested in any sort of conversation whatsoever, and promptly finished her meal and left. The other was an elderly, mild mannered, and very relaxed gentleman who enjoyed conversation. It turned out he only had months to live, was traveling across the country to see his family, and wanted to take the train since he hadn't done so since his youth.
Somehow, this gave me a warm feeling......sad as it is....

We were returning last week from LA to ATL via Chicago and Washington. On the Capitol Limited we were seated with a lady who was a passenger as much out of fear as she was out of a preference for trains. She said she was terrified in the air, then she worried about the return flights all through her out-of-town meetings. Now, she says her travel is train-only even if her bosses would prefer that she fly. Finally we asked her who she worked for and she said "Promise not to laugh? The Federal Aviation Administration". No don't go faulting us - you'd laugh too, and as hard as we did. Fortunately she has a good sense of humor and it turned into the most enjoyable meal we had on the trip. I hope we're seated with her again sometime. :giggle:
Wonder what she knows that she wasn't sharing? Maybe her fear isn't so irrational?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back