Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XNWA

Service Attendant
I thought I read somewhere that if you are traveling in a sleeper, you have the option of going to the dining car or to the cafe car at no additional charge. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Thanks

I thought I read somewhere that if you are traveling in a sleeper, you have the option of going to the dining car or to the cafe car at no additional charge. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.Thanks
If you book a sleeper, your meals are included in the dining car, but there is no provision for using the lounge/cafe car. Depending upon what type of sleeper, there is a limit on the number of meals, so you can't try to cram a family of 5 into a Bedroom, for example, and expect to receive five meals. I believe the limit is three.

If you don't eat your meal in the dining car, it is generally possible to eat in the cafe car instead. I've done this a few times. However, you may want to confirm with your sleeper attendant, the dining car steward, and the lounge car LSA in advance just in case rules have changed.

What you can't do is have your meal in the dining car and then go to the cafe afterwards and get that for free.

If you don't eat your meal in the dining car, it is generally possible to eat in the cafe car instead. I've done this a few times. However, you may want to confirm with your sleeper attendant, the dining car steward, and the lounge car LSA in advance just in case rules have changed.
What you can't do is have your meal in the dining car and then go to the cafe afterwards and get that for free.
That is what I wanted to know. Eating in the cafe car instead of the dining car if you are not interested in the menue in the dining car.

Thanks Robert

That is what I wanted to know. Eating in the cafe car instead of the dining car if you are not interested in the menue in the dining car.

Thanks Robert
You had better check with Amtrak. I have never heard of them allowing this to happen. There is no set amount allowed for meals and there is no way for the Lounge car attendant to make that determination and decide what you can and cannot eat. I can't imagine wanting to do this, since the dining car is a complete meal and the lounge car is snacks, pizza, hot dogs, etc - but different strokes for different folks I guess..

Thanks Robert
You had better check with Amtrak. I have never heard of them allowing this to happen. There is no set amount allowed for meals and there is no way for the Lounge car attendant to make that determination and decide what you can and cannot eat. I can't imagine wanting to do this, since the dining car is a complete meal and the lounge car is snacks, pizza, hot dogs, etc - but different strokes for different folks I guess..
Its just that I have heard of others doing the same thing. Everybody may not be interested in the breakfast or lunch menue in the dining car, especially since SDS. Yes, everybody is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back