Direction of Acela Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fa2007

I'll be traveling on the Acela Express in a few weeks and am very excited! I'll be going from WAS to BOS. I do have a question though: does the Acela ever switch direction? I tend to get a bit sick when I'm seated facing the back of the train. I always try to get a seat facing the front whenever I ride on a subway or I stand. That's why I'm planning on getting to Union Station early to ensure getting a seat that faces toward the front, but I didn't know if the train ever switched directions after departing a station. Thanks!

I'll be traveling on the Acela Express in a few weeks and am very excited! I'll be going from WAS to BOS. I do have a question though: does the Acela ever switch direction? I tend to get a bit sick when I'm seated facing the back of the train. I always try to get a seat facing the front whenever I ride on a subway or I stand. That's why I'm planning on getting to Union Station early to ensure getting a seat that faces toward the front, but I didn't know if the train ever switched directions after departing a station. Thanks!
No, the Acela will not change directions once it departs a station. The only time the train changes directions are at the station end-points - Washington, New York or Boston. It does not switch directions while in service.

Thanks, transit54! I hope it wasn't a stupid question. The only train I've been on (besides the subway) was in the UK and they do switch direction en route.

I did have one more question: I've opted for the first class upgrade and was wondering how early I should get to the station to ensure that I get a single seat. Part of the reason why I chose the train was to get a single. I'm not a loaner, I swear... :hi: :lol:

:hi: Since you are traveling First Class you are entitled to use the Club Acela in Union Station to wait! :) (ring the buzzer and show the attendant at the desk your ticket when entering! Id get there @ least an hour early to take advantage of the lounge, you can go earlier! :lol: ) Nice comfy chairs, clean restrooms,place to leave your luggage, wifi,tv,refreshements etc. The Attendant will announce the Train in the Lounge (there are also TV Screens with the Train Departures/Arrivals) and you will be able to board the Train from the Lounge without having to go to the gate and wait/board with the Business Class pax! :cool: (read Coach/Acela uses different nomenclature than regular Trains)

You should be able to grab a seat to your liking, your Car attendant will be there to greet you and take your drink order and later serve you meals which are excellent on Acela! I'm envious, two Trains a day down this way, the lowly Texas Eagles! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going Acela First, get to Union Station anytime (if you can at least 1 hour before), but early enough to go to the Club Acela (CA)!
biggrin.gif
The CA is only for Acela First and sleeper passengers, with snacks and comfortable searing. You also board directly from the CA before the rest of the crowd!
smile.gif

The CA is located in the center of Union Station, directly behind the information booth. There are 2 doors and a doorbell. Ring the doorbell, and you will be let in!

Enjoy!
cool.gif

Most pleasantly surprisingly they let us even board BC on a Regional directly from Club Acela at WAS this last Sunday! Of course it is another matter that the engine on that train died within 7 miles and barely managed to coast into New Carrolton to get at least the front car and the first door of the next car to platform before stopping.

If you want to ride facing forward and you are in Acela First Class, using Club Acela at WAS is almost a necessity. Most of the passengers departing WAS in First Class will be in the Club Acela lounge. Only passengers in the lounge board early. First Class passengers not in the lounge have to wait for general boarding. There are 44 seats in Acela First Class, and unlike the seats in the Business Class cars, the seats in the First Class car are not rotated to face the direction of travel. So, to ensure facing forward, you are competing for 22 of the 44 seats. If you also want a window seat, now your choice is down to 15 seats. Depending on load out of WAS, the choice First Class seats may all be taken by those boarding from the Club Acela lounge.

So, use the Club Acela, and when they call for the early boarding of your train, hustle out to get your forward-facing seat.

Thanks for all your help, everyone! How early do they usually board the train from Club Acela at WAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back