Do any of you preach train travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Maned Lion

Engineer
I often find myself preaching to friends and random acquaintances about the wonders of long distance train travel, the advantages of commuter rail, the advantages of regional rail, or a combination of the three. Do any of you do the same? Any interesting, or nice-ending, stories of same?

I do!!!! Whenever I hear someone taking the airlines, I try to worm in, "well, if your STUCK at O'Hare you can always take the CZ back to LNK!" Stuff to that affect. Or if they are really bitching about how bad of flight they had, I always say, "why don't you take Amtrak, by the sounds of it....you could have almost had a quicker trip and its so much more of a pleasant way to travel!"

Our singles group at our church is going to CHI, some individuals wanted to fly because you can do it for $50 (which you can't, that usually is a fare for a few folks and not 30 folks) but that ends up making all of us drive 60 miles to Omaha, I also reminded folks, "how would you have liked to have our trip booked on American Airlines a month ago", etc and so forth. One thing some of our leaders from our singles ministry has said is, "the train breaks down the small groups (cliques) and folks get to know others who they usually don't mix with" which is an idea I like. Yes GML, I preach train travel to anyone who will listen. When someone whines that they are renting a car in NYC or CHI and is dreading it, I ask them, "why aren't you brushing up on the commuter lines and saving the money and hassle of having a car?" Most times they are just so rural that they are scared about learning a subway system. I have learned that its alot more scarier trying to navigate a major city in a car, then learing about the red line etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Illinois, commuter travel is FREE for seniors! That's a new thing, which I haven't taken advantage of yet, but I definitely will.
Betty
Just remember Betty,

In order to take advantage of that perk, you need to apply for and obtain the Senior ID card from the RTA and have it with you when you ride!

Where I live (Norman OK) people often travel to Dallas-Ft. Worth to shop, get away for a weekend or whatever, and I explain for just over $40, they can enjoy a relaxing round tripper on the Heartland Flyer with free parking at the Norman depot, and that deposits them right in downtown Ft. Worth. There, you can pick up a pass for just over $5 that gives you the Trinity Rail Express to downtown Dallas (about 30 miles) and a full day on the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Or if you must have a car, weekend specials are available within a couple blocks of either station. You save a ton of gas money and the aggrevation of 6 hours driving. Most folks I have explained this to are still considering the option, but the ones who gave it a try are now hooked on our little train. Plus many people around here have gotten their feet wet on Amtrak by simply taking a day trip to Ft. Worth, which allows time for lunch and a couple hours shopping before the train back to Oklahoma.

Where I live (Norman OK) people often travel to Dallas-Ft. Worth to shop, get away for a weekend or whatever, and I explain for just over $40, they can enjoy a relaxing round tripper on the Heartland Flyer with free parking at the Norman depot, and that deposits them right in downtown Ft. Worth. There, you can pick up a pass for just over $5 that gives you the Trinity Rail Express to downtown Dallas (about 30 miles) and a full day on the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Or if you must have a car, weekend specials are available within a couple blocks of either station. You save a ton of gas money and the aggrevation of 6 hours driving. Most folks I have explained this to are still considering the option, but the ones who gave it a try are now hooked on our little train. Plus many people around here have gotten their feet wet on Amtrak by simply taking a day trip to Ft. Worth, which allows time for lunch and a couple hours shopping before the train back to Oklahoma.
Yeah, I'd much rather take the HF than fight that I-35 trip to D/FW Area...

GO SOONERS!

Attended OU 1984 - 1987

Ha! :D Yes...I am practically an ordained minister of the gospel of railroading! I am constantly trying to sell people on the benefits and pleasures of passenger rail as well as freight rail vs trucks. With traffic congestion, fuel prices, air travel hassles and environmental issues as my weapons I tend to present a fairly convincing argument, I think. My biggest problem is that with only one daily train through CVS (Crescent) (plus the thrice-weekly Cardinal), I don't have a lot of options to offer to those I am trying to convert.

Good timing on your topic, GML! Just last night over a beer I convinced a friend to get the AGR MasterCard and this morning I posted on my agency's electronic bulletin board info on using Amtrak for our frequent business trips to WAS.

My current conversion rate is 4. I guess that makes me a small timer in the field. I got them on the train and now they wont get off. Also got them AGR cards . We do day trips to Chicago in good weather. I was helpful in getting a group of 24 people on board for an August trip to CHI. I will see how many train travel sticks to. I talk to and show pictures to anyone who will listen. Most people are astounded by what they hear. Frist comment I get is " Trains run thru Cleveland?" Then I hit them with the punch line "Yes 4 everyday" Then when they ask where the station is and I say accrossed the street from the Browns Stadium they really get the look of disbelife. Now that the LSL east bound comes thru at apox. 6:30 - 7:00 AM a few have gone to see a real train. Wow what an idea, may be we could get some congress people to go see a train. :)

I have personally "witnessed" 6 "new" believers on rail travel. The first 3 were a relationship that is long gone, but the seed is planted and I know 2 of the 3 enjoyed it. The next 3 "witnesses" of the "Body of Rail" is my girlfriend and her two daughters. Brenda now has been on Amtrak 3 times, her youngest daughter twice and both daughters and Brenda will be back on board again with me in June on the CZ-LSL-CAR-CL-CZ. So I think I found 3 disciples of rail. IF they don't want to take Amtrak, I them to "go to rail!" :p

Tomorrow night folks is a big one. I am boarding the CZ with 3 "newbies". I just hope and pray that Amtrak pulls through along with the host railroads. If the OTP is good, we will be sitting pretty dang good, if we have angels in the dining car and not remnants of the Hitler Youth, we will be sitting even better! Cross your fingers for us!

I have personally "witnessed" 6 "new" believers on rail travel. The first 3 were a relationship that is long gone, but the seed is planted and I know 2 of the 3 enjoyed it. The next 3 "witnesses" of the "Body of Rail" is my girlfriend and her two daughters. Brenda now has been on Amtrak 3 times, her youngest daughter twice and both daughters and Brenda will be back on board again with me in June on the CZ-LSL-CAR-CL-CZ. So I think I found 3 disciples of rail. IF they don't want to take Amtrak, I them to "go to rail!" :p Tomorrow night folks is a big one. I am boarding the CZ with 3 "newbies". I just hope and pray that Amtrak pulls through along with the host railroads. If the OTP is good, we will be sitting pretty dang good, if we have angels in the dining car and not remnants of the Hitler Youth, we will be sitting even better! Cross your fingers for us!
Have a great trip, Al! Keep up your Amtrak Thumper!

I have personally "witnessed" 6 "new" believers on rail travel. The first 3 were a relationship that is long gone, but the seed is planted and I know 2 of the 3 enjoyed it. The next 3 "witnesses" of the "Body of Rail" is my girlfriend and her two daughters. Brenda now has been on Amtrak 3 times, her youngest daughter twice and both daughters and Brenda will be back on board again with me in June on the CZ-LSL-CAR-CL-CZ. So I think I found 3 disciples of rail. IF they don't want to take Amtrak, I them to "go to rail!" :p Tomorrow night folks is a big one. I am boarding the CZ with 3 "newbies". I just hope and pray that Amtrak pulls through along with the host railroads. If the OTP is good, we will be sitting pretty dang good, if we have angels in the dining car and not remnants of the Hitler Youth, we will be sitting even better! Cross your fingers for us!
Al, I seek to covert my co-workers to the benefits of Amtrak. Personal testimony works well. For example, "I took the train to Kansas City for a meeting and Union Station is a 10 minute walk from Union Station. It only cost $28 and parking was free in Jefferson City." Two people did the same and it worked out for them.

We live on the Sunset Route, and are fortunate enough fo have two stops within 30 minutes drive.

we do presentations for Operation Lifesaver, and with each one we make a pitch for AMTRAK as well as BNSF and LDRR. Though the Sunset's schedule is not accommodating, it seems as though lately, with the high fuel prices, people are actually listening.

Donna n Paul Burns Scott, La. BNSF mp149.a Lafayette Subdivision

I have a few conversions. Mostly people I work with. My wife and grown sons are at best luke warm about Amtrak. Mostly due to not sleeping well in couch.

My biggest success (and the one that means the most to me) is my brother.

I left hone (PA) at 18, and I'm now 61. In that time my brother and I have seen each other for about a week or so a year. Last fall he said we should try to do more things together. I had been telling him how much I love train travel for years, so he decided we should ride the train. He flew to my home in ND and we took the Empire Builder to Seattle and back to ND.

My brother administers several home health care offices in PA for a national Home Care Company. He travels a lot, is a work-a-holic and is a bit impatient.

On the train, he relaxed, enjoyed the scenery, loved the dinning car and the lounge car, and fell in love with Seattle (so did I). We planned another trip this fall, but he couldn't wait. We are going to be back on the Empite Builder in 2 weeks for another Seattle trip. This time we will be starting in ND, but we will both be travelling back to PA together. I'm looking forward to the Chicago to Altoona PA portion of the trip. I make it every year, but my brother will be making it for the first time. And we're already thinking about other Amtrak trips.

Now, we do travel by sleeper, not coach, but Pittsburg to Altoona will be coach. He wanted to rent a car in Pittsburg, but I convinced him he needs to have the coach experiance.

:)

Now, we do travel by sleeper, not coach, but Pittsburg to Altoona will be coach. He wanted to rent a car in Pittsburg, but I convinced him he needs to have the coach experience.
Well done!

When I was on the CZ once, I met a foreign student from France, touring the US by Rail. She had never eaten in the Dining Car! I convinced her that it was an essential part of the Rail Experience, and treated her to the meal that evening. Now she agrees.

In Illinois, commuter travel is FREE for seniors! That's a new thing, which I haven't taken advantage of yet, but I definitely will.
Betty
Just remember Betty,

In order to take advantage of that perk, you need to apply for and obtain the Senior ID card from the RTA and have it with you when you ride!

So, you there in Norman, Ok, what do you think of the effort to expand your passenger service to the north, through Wichita, and on to Kansas City?

Now, we do travel by sleeper, not coach, but Pittsburg to Altoona will be coach. He wanted to rent a car in Pittsburg, but I convinced him he needs to have the coach experience.
Well done!

When I was on the CZ once, I met a foreign student from France, touring the US by Rail. She had never eaten in the Dining Car! I convinced her that it was an essential part of the Rail Experience, and treated her to the meal that evening. Now she agrees.
And well done to you. Kindness to others is always a wonderful thing, and you sent her back home with a great story about the American people.

Now, we do travel by sleeper, not coach, but Pittsburg to Altoona will be coach. He wanted to rent a car in Pittsburg, but I convinced him he needs to have the coach experiance.
If it's not too late, see if you can't upgrade to business class from PIT to Altoona. You'll probably enjoy the experience more. The seats are much nicer and wider, with both a foot rest and a calf rest and they are faux leather. A lot more leg room too.

If it's not too late, see if you can't upgrade to business class from PIT to Altoona. You'll probably enjoy the experience more. The seats are much nicer and wider, with both a foot rest and a calf rest and they are faux leather. A lot more leg room too.
I hadn't thought of that, I'll check it out.

Thanks, Alan

I certainly have in the past few years. During Graduate School, the train was the least stressful way to get between central Minnesota and southern Wisconsin. As others at OTOL can attest, I have also used the train between Minnesota and Florida during school breaks. So, by stopping and picking me up from the various stations, the family has been exposed to Amtrak -- somewhat. I pointed out to them that they could take the train to my graduation, but they chose not to do so. In that sense, I was unsuccessful in my efforts. Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back