do they ever put 4 single pax at one table in the dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They fill the 4 seats however they can. It could be:

1. A party of 4,
  2. A party of 3 and a single,
  3. Two parties of 2,
  4. A party of 2 and 2 singles, or
  5. 4 singles!
It all depends on how the passengers enter the Dining Car. If there was a group of 5, only 4 can sit at each booth so 1 must sit at another booth. It's possible they may seat 3 other singles there too.

Some of my best conversions with fellow travellers over dinner have been when four strangers have been put together and those conversations have just moved onto the lounge as the SA was almost ready to kick us out as he needed the table! :)

Some of my best conversions with fellow travellers over dinner have been when four strangers have been put together and those conversations have just moved onto the lounge as the SA was almost ready to kick us out as he needed the table! :)
I totally agree...last trip on the EB the four of us "strangers" drank 8 bottles of wine and also got booted to the lounge. That ended up being a long night and we were no longer strangers. In fact, two of them stayed at my same hotel in PDX and we kept rolling for another couple of days.

They fill the 4 seats however they can. It could be:
  1. A party of 4,
  2. A party of 3 and a single,
  3. Two parties of 2,
  4. A party of 2 and 2 singles, or
  5. 4 singles!
It all depends on how the passengers enter the Dining Car. If there was a group of 5, only 4 can sit at each booth so 1 must sit at another booth. It's possible they may seat 3 other singles there too.
You forgot:

I have seen where they seat 2 very large people to a booth by themselves

You forgot:
In my wife's case, its not the width but rather the depth...limited space between the table edge and the back of the seat.
what about people who are somewhat tall? I'm 6-foot-8 and 253 pounds. Will I have trouble fitting in?
I am small and do not have trouble sitting in the booths, but at least half of the people with whom I sit have trouble. The booths are a tight fit for what I consider larger than average people. It likely will be tight, but my guess is that you will fit.

You forgot:
In my wife's case, its not the width but rather the depth...limited space between the table edge and the back of the seat.
what about people who are somewhat tall? I'm 6-foot-8 and 253 pounds. Will I have trouble fitting in?
As long as you don't "slouch", but rather, sit well back in the seat, you should be okay. If it is still too tight, you may have to sit slightly sideways, either taking up two seats, or extending somewhat into the aisle....

Should be okay, although you may end up playing "footsie" with someone under the table.
I thought that was frowned upon or did the rules change recently? :)

Or will I encounter the "Orphan Black" dining table experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago on the Crescent my seat mate in coach and I decided to have dinner together. He was a very nice gentleman, but big and hefty. My posture at dinner had me with one cheek hanging into the aisle!

You forgot:
I do understand that problem. As I've written elsewhere, once when I looked at the booth and said, I guess I'll eat in my room, the woman running the diner said....give me 15 minutes and come back. When I went back she had removed the "back cushion" removed the cover and had just snapped the cover back on the fiberglass back of the booth. As another large person was leaving he asked her if he could sit in THAT booth for diner......... She did her job well and made everyone feel comfortable. Pluse, large people who are made comfortable "usually" over and above for being made comfortable.

I wish I had her name, she worked the Sunset.

I've heard of a few alternatives: removing the back cushion (like Mike said), serving you in the Lounge if you can find a table, or giving you a to-go meal so you can eat wherever you're comfortable.

The booths were a VERY tight fit, pretty much impossible, when I weighed 350-ish. It was fairly uncomfortable, like wearing a tight belt when you're trying to eat. My waist measurement was 52", according to my records.

The next time we rode the train, I weighed around 320, and my waist measurement was 47". It was more comfortable. My belly touched the table, but it wasn't tight.

Now I weigh 295, my waist is 44", and I don't have any issues. :)

I always sat on the aisle when heavier so I didn't have to scoot in and out. Now I only have to sit on the aisle if I'm going to end up on my boyfriend's right side. I eat left-handed, so we always crash into each other if I sit on his right. ;)

I've heard of a few alternatives: removing the back cushion (like Mike said), serving you in the Lounge if you can find a table, or giving you a to-go meal so you can eat wherever you're comfortable.
The booths were a VERY tight fit, pretty much impossible, when I weighed 350-ish. It was fairly uncomfortable, like wearing a tight belt when you're trying to eat. My waist measurement was 52", according to my records.

The next time we rode the train, I weighed around 320, and my waist measurement was 47". It was more comfortable. My belly touched the table, but it wasn't tight.

Now I weigh 295, my waist is 44", and I don't have any issues. :)

I always sat on the aisle when heavier so I didn't have to scoot in and out. Now I only have to sit on the aisle if I'm going to end up on my boyfriend's right side. I eat left-handed, so we always crash into each other if I sit on his right. ;)
I'm the "south-paw" so I take that into consideration when taking seats with the wife. Usually though, I'll take the window in the diner so she doesn't have to scoot all the way over. She has the tummy collision with the table!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back