Do you ever get asked for your AAA card if using the discount?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Showing the required card (AAA, NARP, AARP, etc) seems to be hit or miss - mostly miss - on Amtrak, and most other places, like hotels, museums, etc. etc.

Best to have it handy, though, if questioned. Less than 1 in 10 in my experience.

There is no standard or rule for all these discounts - even for us senile (I mean senior -- or "honored" citizens).

The Amtrak policy for actually requiring to show the (easily forged) AARP or student, whatever, discount card is just like anywhere else --

-- if gatekeeper is bored, or got a recent notice from on high, "you must show card" - otherwise, who cares. --

Diverging -- most airline rules for active duty military have changed and changed again. 6 years ago an active-duty card would get you at least 2 free bags. Then, some airlines, sometimes, wanted to see your "orders" (but, no gate agent knew what "orders" were). Now, active-duty military get free bags "if in uniform" - (still get pre-cleared passage thru security, regardless of uniform). NAVY people are annoyed - why? Because Navy can't wear their slops or BDU or aquiflage or blueberries off-base. Forbidden. Only blue or white dress allowed off-base. While all the other services can wear their pointilist cgi camo anywhere - and what gate agent knows navy dress whites?

Grump grump grump. I'm not NAVY, but my kid is, got the card, all that, but the airline gate dragons want the $25 per bag. Maybe in whites, might recognize that as "uniform" -- actually saw an ET1 in whites at Phoenix - probably tryiing to save baggage fees. Grump grump.

At least active military get their priority on AMTRAK without getting hit for extra fees if they happen to be NAVY.
Not quite sure where your getting your information about airline baggage fees or Navy Uniform Regulations from. United offers three free bags to active duty military while traveling on leisure travel (leave) and four free if traveling on official orders. Delta and American have mostly the same policies although they may vary by a bag or two. You can verify this information by checking the websites of said airlines, specifically there checked baggage fee page.
As for your contention that Sailors can only wear dress uniforms off base that is simply not true. The only uniform not allowed off base are Coveralls. They are considered a true working uniform and are not allowed out of the shop if on shore duty or off the pier if on sea duty. All other uniforms (NWU's, NSU's, Dress Whites/Blues) can be worn off base. What is true is that dress uniforms are the only authorized liberty uniforms, so if one is planning on traveling in uniform, or drinking, or partying, or doing anything that can be construed as liberty then one must be in their dress uniforms or civilian clothes.

But to get back on topic I have only been asked to show my Military ID once on Amtrak (or any ID for that matter) but I am asked to show it every time I check in for a flight.

Edited to correct spelling. Im an Auxiliarymen and unfortunately i spell like one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I can recall being asked for my AAA card was at the AAA office. Otherwise I can't recall ever being asked on Amtrak or by a hotel. I have a hotel room booked this weekend at a AAA rate, so now that I've clearly jinxed myself by discussing this, I'll be sure to bring my card.

Yes except that lobby wants to get rid of that station. AAA is an auto industry lobby funded by people, most of whom would drop their membership like a stone if they heard precisely what they actually lobby for.

I don't disagree that the direct membership benefits outweigh the direct costs. And as a rail advocate if you feel that the benefits outweigh the monetary cost and the moral weight of the hypocrisy, go for it.

But you remain a hypocrite.

The last time I had to show my AAA card was to a tow truck driver! That incident MORE than made the annual membership worthwhile (35 mile tow home).

Back to Amtrak, never had to produce my AAA card when traveling on Amtrak and have never had to produce an ID to Amtrak for any reason including proving my "senior" age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree that the direct membership benefits outweigh the direct costs. And as a rail advocate if you feel that the benefits outweigh the monetary cost and the moral weight of the hypocrisy, go for it.

There's no hypocrisy at all unless you're positing that I require 100% agreement with any organization I belong to which may end up lobbying. I do not maintain a membership in AAA for its political purposes; if it were for that purpose, then you might have a claim to hypocrisy on my end. But maintenance of my membership for all the other reasons no more makes me a hypocrite than my union membership makes me a hypocrite even if I should disagree strongly with some of their positions and political lobbying. And given that it amounts to literally one or two pennies per member, a charge of hypocrisy is going to be terribly hard to sustain.

I haven't be asked to see either my aaa or aarp card for discounts except for this trip in NYC. I volunteered it first.

When NARP will come out and unlock my car door or give me s jumpstart, I'll gladly drop AAA.

And you remain a dullard.

I actually bothered to figure out when the regional meetings and elections for my AAA chapter are. I couldn't get there over the last year (it's 150 miles away and it was a bad time), but I'm probably going to try next year.

Apart from making it clear that I want them to encourage train service, I have another motivation: they need to get their act together for supporting electric cars, which in this region they haven't.

And you remain anonymous; ipso facto irrelevant.
Says the man with a pseudonym...

I actually bothered to figure out when the regional meetings and elections for my AAA chapter are. I couldn't get there over the last year (it's 150 miles away and it was a bad time), but I'm probably going to try next year.

Apart from making it clear that I want them to encourage train service, I have another motivation: they need to get their act together for supporting electric cars, which in this region they haven't.
Huh, didn't realize that they had meetings. I'll have to see if I can crash the next one in SoCal.

We do not have AAA, but we get AARP discounts on many travel related expenses, sometimes we have to put member numbers in a box on the website, but we have never been asked to produce the actual cards. Yet.

Huh, didn't realize that they had meetings. I'll have to see if I can crash the next one in SoCal.
There are slight differences between the operations of the various AAA member clubs, and I don't think the Automobile Club of Southern California has public meetings.

Not sure if this link is available to non-members, but I note that the ACSC is sponsoring an exhibit on the history of Los Angeles Union Station at the Los Angeles Public Library. The ACSC is not as anti-rail/anti-transit as some may believe the entire AAA to be -- perhaps because Southern California has long provided evidence that more and wider roads aren't the answer to traffic congestion.

Yes.. AAA is the umbrella organization. You join local offices, not the umbrella organization. For example I am a member of AAA of NY. Not all offices have the same benefits. For example, I once mentioned I am still able to get Travelers Checks, but someone commented they cant anymore. They belong to a different local office than I do.

Bruce-SSR

Not quite sure where your getting your information about airline baggage fees or Navy Uniform Regulations from. United offers three free bags to active duty military while traveling on leisure travel (leave) and four free if traveling on official orders. Delta and American have mostly the same policies although they may vary by a bag or two. You can verify this information by checking the websites of said airlines, specifically there checked baggage fee page.
As for your contention that Sailors can only wear dress uniforms off base that is simply not true. The only uniform not allowed off base are Coveralls. They are considered a true working uniform and are not allowed out of the shop if on shore duty or off the pier if on sea duty. All other uniforms (NWU's, NSU's, Dress Whites/Blues) can be worn off base. What is true is that dress uniforms are the only authorized liberty uniforms, so if one is planning on traveling in uniform, or drinking, or partying, or doing anything that can be construed as liberty then one must be in their dress uniforms or civilian clothes.

But to get back on topic I have only been asked to show my Military ID once on Amtrak (or any ID for that matter) but I am asked to show it every time I check in for a flight.

Edited to correct spelling. Im an Auxiliarymen and unfortunately i spell like one.
On Amtrak, no problem. Active duty ID - get the discount, no hassles.

On various airlines last 3-4 years (my informant who is actually an E6 says) bypass the security line -depends on the airport, usually the airport is happy to let persons with active mil id get thru security faster.

Free bags, not in uniform with active duty ID, often didn't happen on United. Frequently, United and other airlines have demanded to see orders - whatever that means, when flying domestically, not for the security gate bypass, but for the "free bags" -

My sailor friend has been hassled for orders, when flying not in uniform,(the only Navy uniform allowed to fly in is whites - check the rules) more than once. Not for the ticket on leave (some Navy thing gets a big discount)) just for the baggage fee. Several times last 5 years..

You have never seen a Sailor in blueberries, or Peanut Butters, much less coveralls ever at an airport or anywhere else. Maybe in the DC special uniform rules area officers who themselves wear Blues get some kind of deal, but ordinary sailors get no discounts or freebies, and have to pay the airline checked bag fee.

Yes, United and other have denied my Sailor friend the free bags more than once -- for not in uniform, or not presenting "orders" (how would an airline gate dragon know orders from not? )

My sailor friend has had enough denial of the "free bags thing" (Airline says -"present your orders" or "you not in uniform, you no sailor" )

Kinda like the random rules some Amtrak emplyess make up

She chooses Amtrak -- because -- get this -- Knows what to expect -- airlines all different, airports all different, and sailors only have ID, not uniform.

Amtrak - never hassles

I don't know the uniform wearing regs, but I do know that

You have never seen a Sailor at any airport in any uniform but Whites. You havent.

Sailors are forbidden to expose themselves in such private uniform.

What I said was true, I don't know uniform regs, but know that you will never see a sailor at an airport in anything but whites. Or civilian slops (maybe a good idea -)

On Amtrak, no problem. Active duty ID - get the discount, no hassles.On various airlines last 3-4 years (my informant who is actually an E6 says) bypass the security line -depends on the airport, usually the airport is happy to let persons with active mil id get thru security faster.

Free bags, not in uniform with active duty ID, often didn't happen on United. Frequently, United and other airlines have demanded to see orders - whatever that means, when flying domestically, not for the security gate bypass, but for the "free bags" -

My sailor friend has been hassled for orders, when flying not in uniform,(the only Navy uniform allowed to fly in is whites - check the rules) more than once. Not for the ticket on leave (some Navy thing gets a big discount)) just for the baggage fee. Several times last 5 years..

You have never seen a Sailor in blueberries, or Peanut Butters, much less coveralls ever at an airport or anywhere else. Maybe in the DC special uniform rules area officers who themselves wear Blues get some kind of deal, but ordinary sailors get no discounts or freebies, and have to pay the airline checked bag fee.

Yes, United and other have denied my Sailor friend the free bags more than once -- for not in uniform, or not presenting "orders" (how would an airline gate dragon know orders from not? )

My sailor friend has had enough denial of the "free bags thing" (Airline says -"present your orders" or "you not in uniform, you no sailor" )

Kinda like the random rules some Amtrak emplyess make up

She chooses Amtrak -- because -- get this -- Knows what to expect -- airlines all different, airports all different, and sailors only have ID, not uniform.

Amtrak - never hassles

I don't know the uniform wearing regs, but I do know that

You have never seen a Sailor at any airport in any uniform but Whites. You havent.

Sailors are forbidden to expose themselves in such private uniform.

What I said was true, I don't know uniform regs, but know that you will never see a sailor at an airport in anything but whites. Or civilian slops (maybe a good idea -)
I flew United yesterday (the 4th) from Guam to Newark and I checked three bags without paying a cent. I flew in civvies and the only thing I had to show at check-in was my military ID. Like I said earlier United specifically says that active-duty military gets three checked bags free for leisure travel and four free for official travel.

As for the uniform thing, most everything you say is wrong. I have seen Sailors off-base in all types of uniforms (except coveralls) and I have seen Sailors travel in both their whites and blues.

The point I was trying to make was --

We all know that active duty anybody gets a good deal on airfare, and - show your active-duty ID - bypass the slow-lane .

BUT -- the sailors I have known the last 3 years sometimes have got hassled for the free baggage -- more than once, more than one sailor, and yes, on United. And on other airlines.

It happens, or did.

Is it possible that airline gate dragons demand "orders" from not-in-uniform sailors? I think that has happened. (but the sailors I've met could have been lying) I'm sure it happened to my sailor offspring 2 years back.

Is it possible that OMG - airline gate dragons who don't know the rules hassle active-duty military not in uniform for baggage fees? Could be - or maybe my sailor's buddies just lied.

Is it possible -- ?? remotely possible?? that untrained airline gate dragons have no clue, and make up rules on the spot sometimes?

Maybe.

Guam to Newark -- sure -- only military fly from Guam. The Airlines have had the rules pounded into their heads.

Even Charleston to Seattle, my sailor kid got hassled for the bag fee -- NOT the discount, not the priority boarding. Just the bag fee.

And - bluems - you have not seen any sailor in blueberries (aquiflage) or peanut butters, or the old Johnny Cash, or anything but whites or (GOd help us - blues) ever at any airport ever. All those unis not to be seen off-base (unless picking up kids from day-care, or filling up gas) Not authorized. Visible sometimes, not authorized to be seen

What the uniform regs are, yo no se, but you never see a sailor at an airport in anything but whites. (or blues, near Chicago on PIR weekends, or if it's a really cold day). -- O6+ never seen one on Amtrak or airlines.

Anyhow, only echoing what some sailors ***** a bit about -- no big deal.

Back to the original point --

Mostly, on AMTRAK, you don't have to show your card that enables your discount - whatever it is -

You do have to show your ID when getting your tickets - online-e-tickets with online ID - whatever.

Riding Amtrak is so reasonable - naah don't want argument - just works - safe - never sweat it.

Yes except that lobby wants to get rid of that station. AAA is an auto industry lobby funded by people, most of whom would drop their membership like a stone if they heard precisely what they actually lobby for.
Obviously, that's why there's a AAA discount on Amtrak. They hate passenger rail.

Just like they hate hotels and Disneyland!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back