Doing a "Loop"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done three days eastbound (EB + LSL) and four days westbound (LSL + CZ + CS) with a couple of weeks in between the trips. I enjoyed the entire train time, but I was ready to be home by the time I got back to Oregon.

I admit, I did have a couple of computer projects (not requiring Internet access, just a pair of headphones so I would not bother others) that absorbed whatever time was not spent looking out the window and/or socializing. I also had a roomette to myself the entire time, so I was able to spread my stuff out and to shut the rest of the world away when I wanted to. I also am the kind of person to jump off and take a brisk walk train-side at every daytime smoke and maintenance stop, so I did not get cabin-fever. A longer trip, and I might.

I'm thinking like amamba, that you might want to break up that trip with a few days in a hotel here and there. You have so many points, what the heck! I think this trip will be absolutely awesome for you, and if you can allow an extra day at end, even better.

Come July 28, I'll be taking a "loop" trip from CDL-CHI-RIV-PDX-SAC-CHI-CDL Mine only comes to about 7,000 miles in 2 weeks, Yours will be longer. Wish you the best, and take an extra night here or there. I think you'll be glad you did!

Add mine to the suggestions of others to try a shorter trip first, unless you've traveled overnight on a long distance train. Amtrak is my favorite way to travel, but your proposed trip is an ambitious one! A trial run would help you decide what kind of accommodations you'd prefer, how much train time you can comfortably take without a hotel break, and help you know what to expect in general. Perhaps the Mrs. would be willing to join you for a much shorter trip? :) You have AGR points to spare, so I'd suggest a bedroom, especially if your wife is along on the trial run. As noted, a sleeper award covers two passengers, including meals in the dining car.

Others have given good suggestions on routes, so I'll add some thoughts on accommodations--which you possibly already know.

Roomettes are doable but pretty tight for two adults and have an outside view from only one side of the train. However, you can spend some time in the lounge car. Viewliner roomettes have a small sink and covered toilet beside one of the seats but Superliner roomettes do not. In coach, you are in an undivided car so you have some views out both sides, but meals are not included and of course you don't have a bed or the privacy of a sleeper. From a bedroom you can usually get a fairly good view out of the opposite side of the train through the aisle windows, and the compartment is much larger than a roomette and has your own restroom and shower. For an extended trip, I'd want bedrooms if I had enough points, but opinions vary.

As someone pointed out, if you have sleeper reservations and miss your guaranteed connection, there may not be any sleepers available on the next trains. Some people like to schedule a hotel overnight as insurance against that, but an overnight may or may not end the AGR award. Fortunately, you have lots (!!!) of points to play with in planning your big trip. With some forethought, it sounds absolutely wonderful. Let us know what you decide, and enjoy!

Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to be able to do the western LD train loop that I had hoped to do.

Instead, I'm looking at WAS-NOL-CHI-CIN, in mid-December. I just don't have the time to do the trip that I wanted to, but that's OK. I'm happy with any trip I can take.

So am I, William. :) I could never make my western trip work out, but a friend and I are planning four nights on eastern trains soon, on our just for fun trip to nowhere.

I've always had good luck on the Crescent. Enjoy your trip!

Depending on how much time you have and where you want to go, splitting a trip with a few stops might not be a bad idea. By any of our standards, you've got more points than most of us would be able to use in a short time; add in the fact that you're employed full time and (as strange as it sounds to us) don't have as much of a reason to be overly conservative with your points. Breaks like that would also be good if you're not used to overnight train travel.

So as an infrequent lurker here, I can only say, "HOLY COW", I did not expect this particular level of response, and am grateful.

I now have a bunch of reading I have to do across the entire thread. thanks everyone!

People here on the forum (not me though) are super-knowledgeable about anything to do with Amtrak! Want to know how many wheels a certain engine has and where it was built? No problem. Want to know if there's a hook in the restroom? Got that covered! How often has train XX been late to this little town? Here's a graph showing that. :)

I've traveled on the Crescent over a dozen times, maybe close to two, but never for more than one overnight at a time. I have a trip to nowhere coming up soon that involves four straight nights on trains, no hotels. A friend is planning to come with me, and she's not traveled on a train since college or h.s. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with it and hope she will, but I'm curious as to how old it may get for us in four nights. I think we'll like it, though. I didn't mean to dissuade you from your planned trip at all, but knowing what to expect is still a good thing.

I'm hoping your wife will join you if you take a shorter trip. Amtrak travel is just about totally different from any other means of travel that I've experienced, mostly in good ways but you may need a laid-back attitude at times. Do keep us posted on your plans. (You have no idea how jealous some of us are at your number of AGR points. LOL)

I'm hoping your wife will join you if you take a shorter trip.
See, she's "familiar" with Amtrak. She's just not a fan. Sitting on a train watching the countryside go by is so phenomenally "not her style" (whereas I could do it all day :) ).

And yes, I suspect people might be jealous of my AGR balance, but the flip side is that EARNING them has been a drudgery. Three hours a day, every day, going from RHI>NYP and back. And while -- yes -- it's beautiful scenery sliding by the Hudson River, it becomes old after a few months, and just becomes "a long-ass commute each day" whose benefit is "I'm not driving, it's not the cattle-car of Metro-North, and I have a tray-table, Wifi and Power". :)

I'd trade a commute next to the Hudson River ( no kinship! LOL) for points runs on the Texas Eagle between Austin and Taylor ( the scenery isn't there!) even if the Bar-B-Q is great!!!

Were envious!!! And if you can't use all your points there's plenty of folks here who will be glad to help you burn them!!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back