Don't expect trains 1&2 to be on time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't expect trains 1&2 to be on time between Houston and NOLA were in a melt down sidings are full of trains both UP and BNSF.Today all the way from NOLA to Lafayette are full ecept for 2 sidings and it's going to get worse because we have trains to run and no where to put them. :angry:

battalion51 said:
We never do anyway Matt. :lol:
I should say they might not move at all right now we have 3 train crews in Avondale waiting to get called on 3 trains but theres no where for them to go and have 1 train ready to leave Lafayette with sidings full it will get worse tonite when UP starts running there trains :eek:

For surely I thought that after the 0% on time performance rate of the Sunset Limited in April that things would've been going much better this comming month! <_<

Amtrak should really just put a caption in it's Sunset Limited timetable that says, "This train never arrives to its destinations on time. Most of the time it won't even reach your destination and we'll just find some other way to get you to were you want to go. Please leave upwards of two days if you plan to connection with other trains. We also suggest that you bring along emergancy rationings and a calander for keeping track of the trains progress. Thankyou - Amtrak"

Amfleet said:
Amtrak should really just put a caption in it's Sunset Limited timetable that says, "This train never arrives to its destinations on time. Most of the time it won't even reach your destination and we'll just find some other way to get you to were you want to go. Please leave upwards of two days if you plan to connection with other trains. We also suggest that you bring along emergancy rationings and a calander for keeping track of the trains progress. Thankyou - Amtrak"
This timekeeping is sure a sharp contrast to my July coast to coast trip on the Sunset where we arrived into Orlando a little more than an hour early and back into Los Angeles about five minutes early. In both directions we spent HOURS waiting at stations to catch up to the schedule before we could depart. If we didn't have to sit at the stations I think the trip could have been 7 or 8 hours shorter each way...

I hope they figure it out by mid June when my family goes. The kids wil be harder to handle if we are not moving. A bus from San Antonio to LA doesn't sound very appealing. I'd rather try to cut a deal and make a wild bus thruway trek to Omaha and catch the Zephyr even though it means missing going through my old hometown.

I noticed that 1 hasn't been too bad this week, but when I checked the Sunday arrival in LA it said no train is scheduled to arrive. So I checked train 2 and it appears to have been halted in NOL. I guess they are bussing all the pax to NOL and turning the train there?

They should put the following times in the timetable:

Dp Orlando 1:45PM

Dp Winter Park When we get there

Dp Sanford When we get there

Dp Deland When we get there

Dp Deland When we get there

etc. :lol:

More like:

Dp Winter Park Sometime later that week

Dp Sanford: Eventually

Dp Deland: Only if we arrive

:lol:

Maybe just the good old fashioned disclaimer:

Times refected in the schedule are not guarenteed, in the event of long delays from UP or CSX, you're best bet is to get out and push.

Amtrak can not be held liable in the event of an on time arrival

Viewliner said:
More like:

Times refected in the schedule are not guarenteed, in the event of long delays from UP or CSX, you're best bet is to get out and push.

This is all do to a UP melt down.Thats all that needs to be said :lol:

Ar. Yuma, AZ - Probably on calander day number 5 by now.

Ar. Palm Springs, CA - What's that smell comming from the guy sitting next to you?

Ar. Ontario, CA - Given Up Yet?

Ar. Pomona, CA - Save yourself and take a friggin bus already!

Ar. Los Angeles - Please see ticket agent for a list of psychiatric instituations in the area.

Amfleet said:
Ar. Yuma, AZ - Probably on calander day number 5 by now.Ar. Palm Springs, CA - What's that smell comming from the guy sitting next to you?

Ar. Ontario, CA - Given Up Yet?

Ar. Pomona, CA - Save yourself and take a friggin bus already!

Ar. Los Angeles - Please see ticket agent for a list of psychiatric instituations in the area.
:lol: :lol:

Aloha

My trip from Orlando 2.5 years ago was on time almost all the way. A problem with a switch outside LA delayed us.

Viewliner said:
More like:

How about DP Orl 12-15 hours arrival of previous train. Amtrak is not responsible for missed connections, we guestimate your departure two to 3 days late. Call are toll free number for the departure date, or picka guestimate on line.

BNSF_1088 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
And look at #2 todayAs of the last report at 10:45 AM, at San Antonio, TX, it was running 4 hours and 45 minutes late.

:angry:
As of the last report at 12:38 PM, between San Antonio, TX and Houston, TX, it was running 6 hours and 23 minutes late.
As of the last report at 3:18 PM, between San Antonio, TX and Houston, TX, it was running 7 hours and 23 minutes late.

:angry: Dang UP

Here's something to consider. At least UP will continue to upgrade the Sunset Route. See link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read...ad.php?1,727852

It looks as if UP will continue to delay and delay the Sunset & the Coast Starlight both, until the upgrades are all finished sometime this century. Funny how BNSF has the attitude where it will get Amtrak trains over the rails with punctuality, and collect the various incentive payments, just becuase they want to get Amtrak trains out of the way of the more profitable freights, while UP's solution to the same dillemma is to stall and sidetrack the trains, even though they have as busy a route to traverse as anything BNSF has (the Transcon via AZ, NM, and the Northern Transcon from St. Paul to SEA). BNSF despite all of their faults, get Amtrak over their rails in a timely fashion, while UP creates the impression that they can't get anything (including Amtrak) anywhere in a punctual fashion.

As I have posited elsewhere in the ether, I think UP detests Amtrak becuase Amtrak has a unique way of placing all of UP's operational flaws on public display.

WICT106 said:
Here's something to consider. At least UP will continue to upgrade the Sunset Route. See link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read...ad.php?1,727852
It looks as if UP will continue to delay and delay the Sunset & the Coast Starlight both, until the upgrades are all finished sometime this century. Funny how BNSF has the attitude where it will get Amtrak trains over the rails with punctuality, and collect the various incentive payments, just becuase they want to get Amtrak trains out of the way of the more profitable freights, while UP's solution to the same dillemma is to stall and sidetrack the trains, even though they have as busy a route to traverse as anything BNSF has (the Transcon via AZ, NM, and the Northern Transcon from St. Paul to SEA). BNSF despite all of their faults, get Amtrak over their rails in a timely fashion, while UP creates the impression that they can't get anything (including Amtrak) anywhere in a punctual fashion.

As I have posited elsewhere in the ether, I think UP detests Amtrak becuase Amtrak has a unique way of placing all of UP's operational flaws on public display.
we make around 20 million off Amtrak a year for running there trains on time plus our employees get along with Amtrak employees. :)

BNSF_1088 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
And look at #2 todayAs of the last report at 10:45 AM, at San Antonio, TX, it was running 4 hours and 45 minutes late.

:angry:
As of the last report at 12:38 PM, between San Antonio, TX and Houston, TX, it was running 6 hours and 23 minutes late.
As of the last report at 3:18 PM, between San Antonio, TX and Houston, TX, it was running 7 hours and 23 minutes late.

:angry: Dang UP
As of the last report at 7:26 PM, at Houston, TX, it was running 9 hours and 45 minutes late.

BNSF_1088 said:
we make around 20 million off Amtrak a year for running there trains on time plus our employees get along with Amtrak employees. :)
And it shows in the Builders OTP. For April of this year the Empire Builder, which of course runs on BNSF, was on time 81.6% of the time. Out of 120 trains operated, only 22 were late. Amtrak's goal for that line was only 70% OTP, so they did very well.

No other LD service even came close. The next closest was the City of NOL and it only averaged 71.6%.

AlanB said:
BNSF_1088 said:
And it shows in the Builders OTP. For April of this year the Empire Builder, which of course runs on BNSF, was on time 81.6% of the time. Out of 120 trains operated, only 22 were late. Amtrak's goal for that line was only 70% OTP, so they did very well.

No other LD service even came close. The next closest was the City of NOL and it only averaged 71.6%.
And i am proud to work for BNSF because we don't screw Amtrak we try our best to keep them on time. :)

The builder was late 22 times, but how late? Are we talking one minute late and you go down on the late column or what? For example the Sunset Limited could be late 100% of the time, but if 95% of those late trains were less than 30 minutes, thats not bad at all. It would be more telling if they broke it down: >1hr >2hr >4 >Sunset :D

When I worked in Galesburg, we would go out to fix an Amtrak train for them if they were having problems. We even brought the Ill. Zephyr in on the service track to service water once. I rode in the cab from the main line to the service track and found out how busy one engineer can be. Overtasked comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back