Double TQPs 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neroden

Engineer
Doing some Googling (to try to work out some questions related to TQPs), I stumbled across this. Is this actually happening or was it a speculative page which wasn't supposed to be published or linked from Google? I'm going to assume it wasn't supposed to go public and isn't official until I hear otherwise.

https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/promotions/double-tqp-days

Doing some Googling (to try to work out some questions related to TQPs), I stumbled across this. Is this actually happening or was it a speculative page which wasn't supposed to be published or linked from Google? I'm going to assume it wasn't supposed to go public and isn't official until I hear otherwise.

https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/promotions/double-tqp-days
I found the same page when I logged in to my Amtrak.com account. However, when I logged on again, I got the regular logon page. I certainly haven't gotten any double TQPs. If I had, I might be Select Plus by now. :)

They did that 4 or 5 years ago which pushed me to Select, then Select Plus as I was paying for my travel that year.
My problem last year and this is that my Amtrak travel has all been AGR travel redemptions - more than 300K.
No earnings there. My "status" is going away!
I go through a repetitive cycle every year or two - spend dollars and earn points and then redeem points and then start over again!
The credit card has a TQP limit which means you need Amtrak travel to reach a tier.

Last edited:
Too bad I never actually spend money on Amtrak. I manage to collect a few zillion points on the CC and promotions. Tried to get an upgrade from BC to FC on the Acela, but couldn't use my coupons on AGR travel. May end up listing them on the coupon topic. Acela BC to FC is a really good use for coupons!

Yep. I got the email too.
UvHl5iw.jpg

I'll file this as a "pleasant surprise", but it's not a shock. Note that most of the folks running up Select Executive status were business travelers on the NEC, and then check ridership on the Acelas (which are probably going to wind up down somewhere around 85-90% for FY21 vs FY19).

We'll see where things go...$4000 or so to renew Select Executive isn't impossible, but at this point, for me the damage has mostly been done already in terms of travel patterns (I'm trying to envision when they get my business back on trips to Florida, and it's basically "I get the dining car or I keep driving").

(Depending on how stuff registers, BTW, this might result in folks in SE spitting out upgrade cards at an amusing rate.)

I mean, it's looking like I'm not travelling at all this year what with Delta Variant sweeping the country. If the country suddenly develops a burst of sanity and gets the pandemic under control, however, this would be a nice bonus.

The terms and conditions includes the following sentence.
Trips must be completed by 11:59pm ET on December 31, 2021 to qualify.
Does Amtrak consider a trip to be completed when the ticket for that leg has been lifted? when the ticket for the final leg on a reservation has been lifted? when the final leg has been completed?

In the past, I have received AGR points credited to the year in which the ticket was lifted, so I suspect it's the same for this promotion. That would make for easier computer programming, but the easiest understanding of the quoted sentence is that the traveler must have disembarked at the ticketed destination before the new year. (Of course, that raises the question of how a late train is handled.) And I realize that asking Amtrak Unlimited to interpret the terms and conditions is an exercise in nonsense, but I believe asking a person who answers the Amtrak phone would be similarly meaningless.

The terms and conditions includes the following sentence.

Does Amtrak consider a trip to be completed when the ticket for that leg has been lifted? when the ticket for the final leg on a reservation has been lifted? when the final leg has been completed?

In the past, I have received AGR points credited to the year in which the ticket was lifted, so I suspect it's the same for this promotion. That would make for easier computer programming, but the easiest understanding of the quoted sentence is that the traveler must have disembarked at the ticketed destination before the new year. (Of course, that raises the question of how a late train is handled.) And I realize that asking Amtrak Unlimited to interpret the terms and conditions is an exercise in nonsense, but I believe asking a person who answers the Amtrak phone would be similarly meaningless.
This raises another "fun" point: What happens if the trip was scheduled to end on 12/31 but does not do so because of delays? For a not-silly example, consider the travails of the Builder over the last few years...I don't think it is hard to imagine someone pulling into Chicago on 1/1 despite having been scheduled to arrive on 12/31.

(I'm trying to envision when they get my business back on trips to Florida, and it's basically "I get the dining car or I keep driving").

Well there’s always the auto train. I hate driving to Florida last time I did it one way and auto train the other - I said train from now on. I usually do auto trains- sometimes silver if I don’t feel like driving to dc.

I just achieved Select Status 🥳 first time! Excited to get the card in the mail. I bet I'll stay at this level until it expires next year. Is it valid for all of 2022?
How long does it take to get the "Welcome Kit"? The email says 4-6 weeks but just wondering how long it actually takes. That packet would include the lounge coupons, correct? Might need one before that timeframe. :(

How long does it take to get the "Welcome Kit"? The email says 4-6 weeks but just wondering how long it actually takes. That packet would include the lounge coupons, correct? Might need one before that timeframe. :(

I had the same question.

I never got my welcome kit for select status, which I achieved 3 months ago.
I was going to call AGR.

Back