Downeaster Parking and Skis on Acela?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
Hey all,

In planning a potential trip in the next few weeks, I'm curious about two things. First, does anyone have any info on long-term (6-10 day) parking at any of the Downeaster stations? From looking online Wells, ME and Dover, NH have decent size lots, but I'm not sure if there are fees or if long-term parking is a good idea.

Secondly, I will be travelling with my skis (in a wheeled, hard sided and enclosed Burton snowboard bag), and after taking the Downeaster to Boston, I would be taking an Acela to NYP. The information on the Special Items page about skis doesn't say that they are/are not allowed on Acelas, and the one time I took one it doesn't seem you could store a long (70") bag in the overhead racks. I've travelled with this bag before on the Vermonter, Ethan Allen and a Regional, but never an Acela. Does anyone have any insight on whether I would be allowed to bring my skis onboard?

Skis and Snowboards

Carry-On —50 lbs. (23 kg)
No Larger than 72" in Height

Checked — 50 lbs. — 75 Linear Inches
Oversize Items (76 – 100 linear inches) — $20 Each
Allowance
  • Snow Skis
  • Water Skis
  • Snowboards
  • Poles
  • Boots
Requirements
  • Skis/snowboards may be carried onboard or checked free of charge in lieu of a piece of baggage.
  • Skis/snowboards must be enclosed in a full-length protective cover (vinyl/cloth/nylon/or hard-sided case). Ski bags for transport are available at most staffed locations.

I can't remember for certain, but I think Acela only has closed (aircraft-type) luggage bins, not the open luggage racks like on most trains.
That's what I saw in business class, the closed luggage racks
It's the same in First Class. However, if you're sitting in First Class, or the Business Class car on the end of the train you should be able to fit the skis in the old phone booth area by the bathrooms.

I thought I made this post last night, but I guess I didn't. I apologize.

You should be fine parking in Wells, I don't know if there is a maximum time you can leave it there but there isn't a fee, just make sure to bring a shovel and anything else necessary to unbury your car in case there is a snowstorm while you're gone. I would definitely feel safer leaving my car at Wells than leaving it at Dover.

Parking in Wells was a breeze, I asked the station attendant before boarding the train and he said I would be fine even for a few weeks.

As I expected, my skis were accepted onboard the Acela. Despite the ticket agent at Boston insisting that the "new baggage policy" would mean I would be denied boarding without a refund, the agent in the Club Acela, the agent I talked with on the phone to apply my upgrade coupon, as well as the crew in First Class all were fine with my bag, which I put in the spot by the old phone booth.

I did leave a shovel in my car in case there's a snowstorm in the next few days that I'm away, but it unfortunately doesn't look too likely I'll need it (we need snow in New England!)

I saw your picture on FB and read that you got on the Acela with your skis. Glad it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back