Dressing For Dinner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was called for jury duty, I had to buy new, appropriate, clothes. Seems that jury duty is the last hold out for "old fashion" concepts for appropriate attire.
The judge asked "what did you wear for a job interview?" My reply was that my last job interview was over 30 years ago, and I longer can fit into those clothes. :D
Uh oh. Not good news. I have jury duty in a few weeks!

I used to go down to the courthouse in high school and watch trials, arraignments, and jury selections (those were the most interesting!). I don't recall seeing people dress up for jury service. Then again, I live in a very casual area. A local newspaper columnist (who is now a state representative!) once penned a book entitled, "Fashion Means Your Fur Hat Is Dead"... :lol:

Uh oh. Not good news. I have jury duty in a few weeks!
I used to go down to the courthouse in high school and watch trials, arraignments, and jury selections (those were the most interesting!). I don't recall seeing people dress up for jury service. Then again, I live in a very casual area. A local newspaper columnist (who is now a state representative!) once penned a book entitled, "Fashion Means Your Fur Hat Is Dead"... :lol:
Yea, I kind of thought all of this was kind-of funny. I mean, the judge himself could be wearing old jeans under his robe (or as the joke goes, nothing at all :lol: ) as far as anyone would know. But the jury, and only the jury, has a dress code the court enforces.

My feelings are that having good, honest, moral people on the jury would be more important than their choice for comfortable clothing.

I mean, I am a professional who lives and works in his jeans. That's just the way I am, and my chosen life style.

Sorry, I am on vacation, shorts and 'T' shirt are all I bring.

The one and only time I served on a jury there was no dress code. Just the way I liked it!
Me too! My girlfriend wouldn't like me to wear a dress either! :lol: (It clashes with my beard!)
You might find it hard to believe, but I have the same exact problem. And in addition to that it's also hard to find any dresses in my size! :D

The one and only time I served on a jury there was no dress code. Just the way I liked it!
Me too! My girlfriend wouldn't like me to wear a dress either! :lol: (It clashes with my beard!)
You might find it hard to believe, but I have the same exact problem. And in addition to that it's also hard to find any dresses in my size! :D
Awww, you guys just aren't any fun....How 'bout a kilt? :lol:

I'm one of those girls who rarely wears a dress or skirt. I usually chicken out at the last minute & wear pants. Unless it's a very special occasion & not too cold or snowy. So dressing up on the train will be ok, 'cause I'm sure there won't be snow inside the train in July. :lol: But definitely no heels!!!! :p

Awww, you guys just aren't any fun....How 'bout a kilt? :lol:
I tried a kilt once. I don't have the discipline for that kind of thing.
Hey, that's a thought! I could sew my own kilt... but what would an Italian kilt look like; a red checkered table cloth? :rolleyes: But a matching red checkered purse might not look so cool! :eek:

I tried a kilt once. I don't have the discipline for that kind of thing.
In one of those cable channel reality shows, the one about the airport/airline, they had to deal once with a male passenger who was authentically wearing a kilt. :ph34r:

I once saw a guy in the diner wearing swim fins, parachute pants, a mesh see through t-shirt and a viking hat....oh no wait that was new jersey transit.

Hmnnn. What would one wear under an Amtrak Kilt?
A view liner?
Amtrak underwear :blink:
Silly boy...don't you know that real men don't wear anything under a kilt? :lol:
I would have to wear a SUPERliner! :lol:
Boy did I open the flood gate on this one!! Sorry!! Might I suggest 'Superliner' for winter, & 'Viewliner' for summer. Much better than au naturale. But don't forget your very long knee high socks! :) But will it match with the Fez? And don't forget the Bagpipes!

A view liner?
Silly boy...don't you know that real men don't wear anything under a kilt? :lol:
Boy did I open the flood gate on this one!! Sorry!! Might I suggest 'Superliner' for winter, & 'Viewliner' for summer. Much better than au naturale. But don't forget your very long knee high socks! :) But will it match with the Fez? And don't forget the Bagpipes!
Boy I'm glad you said very long knee high socks. Traveler's gonna (according to his own self-proclamation) need'um to tuck it into! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed reading much of this topic. Yes I can also recall the days, and have a few photos of trips we took in which my Grandparents always wore a suit and a dress in the diner, or on the train in general. It was a big deal to look well in those days. Frankly I am not to sad they have passed. I do not particularly like to wear a tie any more and eating in a nice set of jeans and attractive shirt are fine with me. Actually I have been often struck by the way in which most of the sleeping car passengers look sitting in the Lounge in Chicago. Very rarely some couple will be seen looking very well dressed and neat. Most look like they just came in off the street! I know its not going to happen and most don't even want it or care, but a happy medium of simple clothing somewhere between looking like your lounging to watch tv. and going to a fancy restaurant would seem pleasant to me.

I have a friend that often joins us on our long train trips. He never wears less than a well pressed set of Kakis on the train. That is his pride in himself and I respect that, frankly its nice to see people looking good.

Society has switched quickly to all casual all the time.. Once here in the country where I live now we were invited to a wedding and I had a few others that were invited that also went.. We all went out of our way to wear suits and look appropriate. No one but us including the grooms and brides family had on more than a causal shirt. Same for funerals, almost no one dresses to make an appearance there either except in rare instances..

Last edited by a moderator:
A view liner?
Boy I'm glad you said very long knee high socks. Traveler's gonna (according to his own self-proclamation) need'um to tuck it into! :blink:
Whoa!! WTMI!! (way too much info!!!!)

Same for funerals, almost no one dresses to make an appearance there either except in rare instances..
Widows wore black. Mistresses wore red. It was such much easier when things were color-keyed. Ah, the good ol' days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back