Dressing For Dinner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without the GPS, I wouldn't know that the river that the CL followed for a long time was Wills Creek or the name of a small town I went through. Also, because I kept it running all night, if I woke up in the middle of the night I could tell where we were. Also, even now that it is 2 weeks past my return, I can relieve my trip, and discover that the SWC was going 90 MPH through Kansas and never higher than 79 MPH through Arizona!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! <_<
That is basically what I use my GPS, when on train trips. If find it adds a lot, to not only look out the window and see some typical river, but to know its name by reading it off my GPS.

I, too, wake up in the middle of the night and wonder if we have moved at all (paranoid from all the trips where we didn't move). I can quickly check my GPS to see exactly where we are.

I'm still waiting for someone to come trucking in from Sleeper for breakfast in a bath robe or pajamas :p
My wife always wears her slippers to breakfast on the train. Of course she wears them all day long on the train, too. :D

Sounds like a good idea to me. Nobody looks at the feet, so why not?
Actually as a former shoe salesman, shoes are one of the first things that I notice. :)
Now we're on the shoes-subject: I have this habit of kicking off my shoes the minute I enter something (house, train, plane, car -when not driving) and walk around on my - clean! - socks. Apart from going to the diner where of course I'll put my shoes on, would that be a problem?

I'm still waiting for someone to come trucking in from Sleeper for breakfast in a bath robe or pajamas :p
My wife always wears her slippers to breakfast on the train. Of course she wears them all day long on the train, too. :D

Actually as a former shoe salesman, shoes are one of the first things that I notice. :)
Now we're on the shoes-subject: I have this habit of kicking off my shoes the minute I enter something (house, train, plane, car -when not driving) and walk around on my - clean! - socks. Apart from going to the diner where of course I'll put my shoes on, would that be a problem?
I take my shoes off the moment I enter my sleeping car room.(but not a coach).

But they usually announce to wear your shoes to walk to any other car, as a safety issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good answers!
I want to make an observation to the folks who carry all that hi-tech stuff. I mean, I have a cell phone with me - but as far as all kinds of cameras, GPS's, scanners - do you ever have time to look out the window???

I was sitting next to a guy on the Meteor a couple of weeks ago,m he had a gps and was staring at it for a long time. Being nosy, I peeked over his shoulder and saw a small map of a train track, and then there was a body of water and a bridge. I looked out the window and saw the river we were going over - DUHHHH.

Paul Theroux (great travel writer and train traveler) makes the point that early on he started leaving his camera at home when he went off, and only then did he begin to actually SEE stuff. I've been an avid photographer for years and feel much the same way when I am going someplace new.

So yeah I'll keep a clean shirt to wear in the dining car and leave the equipment at home.

David

Personally, I would be lost without my GPS, scanner, and cameras.

As others have noted about the GPS, it is nice to know where you are, names, speed traveling, etc. It's information that isn't "necessary" however nice to know. I guess it's just a personal preference. I however do not constantly stare at the screen though. I might glance at it every once in a while, or when I see something interesting outside just to see where it is that I am and so on. I only use it while in my room.

I could not and will not go on a trip without my scanner. I thrive on knowing what is going on within the workings of the crew and train. I only use it in my room with the volume up only loud enough that I can hear what is being said and not loud enough to hear in the hall even with the door open. If I use it anywhere else I wear an ear bud so as to not disturb others.

As for cameras, being a photographer and videographer (hobby), I can't leave home without them. I love to look back at things for memories mostly and to share with others. It helps when you "might" be able to afford to take a trip once, or twice (if very lucky) a year.

I have yet to get the feeling I have missed anything because of all my gadgets. If anything I have probably seen more than I would have.

All good answers!
I want to make an observation to the folks who carry all that hi-tech stuff. I mean, I have a cell phone with me - but as far as all kinds of cameras, GPS's, scanners - do you ever have time to look out the window???

I was sitting next to a guy on the Meteor a couple of weeks ago,m he had a gps and was staring at it for a long time. Being nosy, I peeked over his shoulder and saw a small map of a train track, and then there was a body of water and a bridge. I looked out the window and saw the river we were going over - DUHHHH.

Paul Theroux (great travel writer and train traveler) makes the point that early on he started leaving his camera at home when he went off, and only then did he begin to actually SEE stuff. I've been an avid photographer for years and feel much the same way when I am going someplace new.

So yeah I'll keep a clean shirt to wear in the dining car and leave the equipment at home.

David
I fully agree about the camera. I am not a photo bug and have found that worrying about what to shoot, composition, etc... takes away from what I am seeing. I choose to not be distracted, but that is me.

I do travel with a GPS (I named it Junior) and find it to be useful. I do not 'stare' at it and do not find it distracting to what I am seeing. It is more of an aid. Actually, when I take it to the sightseeer lounge, it is more of a conversation starter as others want to look at it to see where we are. That is more enjoyable even yet.

I do not own a scanner, but would be fascinated by it. I would use it at times, but not always. I like traveling on United Airlines because you can listen to the cockpit / ground communications. I find that fascinating as well.

It's all personal preference of course and it's all good to me.

All good answers!

David

Personally, I would be lost without my GPS, scanner, and cameras.

As others have noted about the GPS, it is nice to know where you are, names, speed traveling, etc. It's information that isn't "necessary" however nice to know. I guess it's just a personal preference. I however do not constantly stare at the screen though. I might glance at it every once in a while, or when I see something interesting outside just to see where it is that I am and so on. I only use it while in my room.

I could not and will not go on a trip without my scanner. I thrive on knowing what is going on within the workings of the crew and train. I only use it in my room with the volume up only loud enough that I can hear what is being said and not loud enough to hear in the hall even with the door open. If I use it anywhere else I wear an ear bud so as to not disturb others.

As for cameras, being a photographer and videographer (hobby), I can't leave home without them. I love to look back at things for memories mostly and to share with others. It helps when you "might" be able to afford to take a trip once, or twice (if very lucky) a year.

I have yet to get the feeling I have missed anything because of all my gadgets. If anything I have probably seen more than I would have.
Me personally am planning on leaving the camera at home. Don't have and don't want a GPS. I am perfectly happy not knowing the name of every puddle we cross or the history behind every blade of grass that is named after someone who stepped on it.

Me personally am planning on leaving the camera at home. Don't have and don't want a GPS. I am perfectly happy not knowing the name of every puddle we cross or the history behind every blade of grass that is named after someone who stepped on it.
I am certainly not saying you are wrong in your opinion...

But (there is always a 'but', isn't; there)...

I don't know of any GPS that gives that kind of detail (I assume you were exaggerating of course).

I use my GPS to see how fast we are going, the approximate altitude (nice when going through mountains), and to see generally where we are. I like knowing the names of the towns as we pass through. Sometimes the name tells you something about it, but in generalities, not details. I agree that knowing too much would be a distraction and it is nice sometimes to not know where you are (I like guessing, especially when waking up). That's why I only use the GPS about 25% of the time.

I guess I am just knitpicking on your rational :unsure: , but to each their own. :rolleyes:

Our 7 month-old doesn't walk yet so he wears little bootie things on his feet, which he pulls off at every opportunity. Husband and I headed to dinner on the EB last week and as we were about to be seated, we were halted and told that everyone must wear shoes in the diner. We looked down at our feet in a kind of confused way, then realized the baby had shed his foot gear. The staff did allow husband and baby to be seated while I scurried off in search of missing booties. I'm sure it is for safety reasons, but we did get a chuckle out of it.

About dressing for dinner.......

So far as I know it was the custom to be dressed aboard the train back in the early 40's,30's,20's etc . Just as it was in the 50's when I began traveling. So glad it is no longer.

The complication, though, is in the days of steam engines and before air conditioning was made available for trains. That meant the soot and cinders would blow in on your face and your clothes sitting there in your Sunday finery. Dieselization and air conditioning began in a small way in the late 30's.

It is known that the conductors and others would go through the train asking you to shut the windows before a train approached a tunnel. It would really have blown in badly. Imagine what a route like the CZ's [the CZ had another name back then} was like in the days of steam and open windows--and yet, I guess, they were all dressed up..

I seem to recall reading that the dining cars and the sleeping cars were the first to receive air conditioning.

The last time I wore a suit and tie it was to my own wedding, 7 1/2 years ago. The best it gets for me is clean jeans and a clean polo shirt. I do wear a hat to the diner but take it off during the meal. I wish my hair would fall out; it's so thin and fine that any gust of wind over 1/4th of a mile per hour blows it all awry. Men's hair spray doesn't even help.

As for technology, I'm still coming kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I don't own a GPS system nor a cell phone. Or laptop for that matter. I do have a scanner but leave it at home. I do use my digital camera and camcorder; my mother says I have video of every blade of grass and rock between the West Coast and Chicago. That is a gross exaggeration. On my Chicago-Sacramento trip last month of about 49 hours I only have about five hours of film, the vast majority of that in the Rockies and the Sierras. So it's not quite that bad. :p

I do use my digital camera and camcorder; my mother says I have video of every blade of grass and rock between the West Coast and Chicago. That is a gross exaggeration. On my Chicago-Sacramento trip last month of about 49 hours I only have about five hours of film, the vast majority of that in the Rockies and the Sierras. So it's not quite that bad. :p
Aloha

Well I guess between the 2 of us your mother might be right :rolleyes: I think I now have about 10 hours of digital tape from my various trips. But like any photographer, maybe 20 percent is all that should be seen by anyone else.

Should we now target the east coast? I have some footage of the Acela, and the Silver Service trains to Florida. I also have about 30 minutes of the Hawaii train. I am trying to finish by July, DVD of the last 2 trips.

I was very impressed by a shrub 15 miles west of Elko, NV when I passed there, could one of you post a Video on youtube? :D

I was very impressed by a shrub 15 miles west of Elko, NV when I passed there, could one of you post a Video on youtube? :D
Oh my goodness Sam,

As I read your post I was taking a sip of coffee and burst into laugter at the same time! Don't do that, it dosen't work! Choke, choke, cough, cough LOL :D

To add some perspective to the question of "dressing up" period:

When I moved to the Chicago area in July of 1998 and started riding Metra into Downtown Chicago everyday, about 50 men (in the section of the car which holds about 150 passengers) wore the full suit and tie. As the years have passed, this has become less and less...in fact now, you see nary a one. When someone does get on in the "full monty" it almost seems alien. About 75% of the passengers who go in to work everyday now wear jeans and some sort of dressy shirt/top. It just shows you how casual our society has become. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just interesting! :eek:

Oh my goodness Sam,

As I read your post I was taking a sip of coffee and burst into laugter at the same time! Don't do that, it dosen't work! Choke, choke, cough, cough LOL :D
Sorry, it must be a different one. I've got a video of a shrub west of Elko - but it is only 13.6379 miles northwest (at 289º) of Elko. :( But it's not to clear, because the CZ was going 75.6 MPH at the time. :( (Thanks to my GPS, I know that! :lol: )

To add some perspective to the question of "dressing up" period:
When I moved to the Chicago area in July of 1998 and started riding Metra into Downtown Chicago everyday, about 50 men (in the section of the car which holds about 150 passengers) wore the full suit and tie. As the years have passed, this has become less and less...in fact now, you see nary a one. When someone does get on in the "full monty" it almost seems alien. About 75% of the passengers who go in to work everyday now wear jeans and some sort of dressy shirt/top. It just shows you how casual our society has become. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just interesting! :eek:
Yes, even look at churches. I remember up until the very early 1990's where you would not be caught dead in a church unless you were in full suit. Now anything goes...well at least they are attending.

Basically, I agree that society has become less fashion consiencens (I can't even spell it close enough for spell checker to correct :( )through the years. Basically society is getting sloppy. I feel horrible if my leathers (shoes to belt) don't match.

When my dad and I took out trip out to Flagstaff last year, I had just bought a scanner and he brought along his just-purchased GPS. Both were great to have along.

The scanner is very helpful - especially if there is a sudden stop. The track detectors on the CP were not working right that day and we had to made a couple of stops as they kept reporting hot boxes. There was a small group in the lounge when we made a stop just north of Lake City, MN. I had my earpiece in and heard the detector report the problem. Everybody was a bit confused and wondering what was going on. Not thinking, I casually said 'oh, they're just checking on a possible hotbox' The look on their faces was pretty funny and I realized that my rail geekness was exposed for all to see. :p Oh well...

The GPS is nice to see your speed, where you are at night, and also, as others have mentioned, when you wake up and are curious as to where you are at. I've since purchased on myself and can't wait to use it in July.

As far as pictures go, I take a lot and for me, its the best way of remembering the trip. I understand the argument that you probably miss a few things and that you may enjoy the trip a bit more. However, I would personally rather be able to better remember it with the help of pictures. But, that's just me.

As far as dressing up...I don't believe in being a slob by any means, but thank goodness I don't have to travel for days on end in a shirt and tie...could you imaging being crammed into an airplane for several hours with seating the way it is nowadays on planes? YECH! :(

Dan

When I was called for jury duty, I had to buy new, appropriate, clothes. Seems that jury duty is the last hold out for "old fashion" concepts for appropriate attire.

The judge asked "what did you wear for a job interview?" My reply was that my last job interview was over 30 years ago, and I longer can fit into those clothes. :D

Aloha

Was this the Shrub?

513245003_NV3JE-S-0.jpg

or did I miss the one you saw :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

I have a collection of about 100 Life Magazines from the 1940's that show travel in that era. People did typically dress up more. Men wore suits and women wore hats, and not just when traveling.They also have full page passenger rail ads in every issue.

Cigarette ads too, back when smoking was considered health and good for the throat.

My intention was to sell them for a charity I was working on. People really enjoyed looking at them but not many wanted to pay $5 for their own copy.

Rogers55 Without spending hours and hours of tedious research, could you just spot check 3 or 4 magazines at random and let us know which of the railroads was advertising? Thanks.
I am at work right now so I don't have access to the magazines but I recall Santa Fe, Union Pacific, and New York Central.

There were others, probably all the major railroads. Tonight, after I do my taxes, there will be time for a better answer.

I have a collection of about 100 Life Magazines from the 1940's that show travel in that era. People did typically dress up more. Men wore suits and women wore hats, and not just when traveling.They also have full page passenger rail ads in every issue.

Cigarette ads too, back when smoking was considered health and good for the throat.

My intention was to sell them for a charity I was working on. People really enjoyed looking at them but not many wanted to pay $5 for their own copy.

Rogers55 Without spending hours and hours of tedious research, could you just spot check 3 or 4 magazines at random and let us know which of the railroads was advertising? Thanks.
I am at work right now so I don't have access to the magazines but I recall Santa Fe, Union Pacific, and New York Central.

There were others, probably all the major railroads. Tonight, after I do my taxes, there will be time for a better answer.
Many thanks for your answer so far. Those would very much be among those I would expect.Am anxious for any more you can give, but-----after you do your taxes,----- of course!!!

I was on the Silver Star on March 29th and I was the ONLY one in the diner for the 7pm seating. When I got done there was still no one else so I guess that day you could wear whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back