East Coast Blizzard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the LD trains from NYP. The silvers and the crescent
Unaffected.

The Carolinian (80) looks like it is parked in Washington. Is that as far as it will be going today, necessitating that 79 start from there tomorrow?

jb
Correct. Amtrak will most likely put folks who are on 79 east of WAS on 185 which is the first scheduled train to WAS on the 27th.

48 is only operating to Albany tonight.
Status says it arrived New York 45 minutes late.
They most likely turned the sets as soon as they arrived in BOS/NYP back to ALB. Or put folks on separate trains to BOS/NYP.

It should be noted that trains 91, 19, & 97 are accepting PAX from NYP-WAS. 14 trains operating from NYP-WAS including 67 and 4 AE's. 98, 20, and 92 are accepting PAX WAS-NYP. 12 trains operating between WAS-NYP including 4 AE's and 66.

This is for the 27th.

The recovery should be spectacularly fast since they have been able to keep all major arteries cleared of snow so far within NYC. No so good a little east of New York. My friend in Suffolk County LI tell me they are really hunkered down and they are glad that they are.

MTA bridges and tunnels are now open, and NJT bus operations should start service by noon. No word on rail service yet, but I'd expect at least NEC service to get restored later today. M&E might too. Only NJCL may be delayed a bit due to the heavier snow that they received in Monmouth County.

NYCTA will start operations by 9am and should be fully operational (Sunday service) by noon.

NJT RVL and ACL will resume service by noon.

NJT RiverLINE is running.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recovery should be spectacularly fast since they have been able to keep all major arteries cleared of snow so far within NYC. No so good a little east of New York. My friend in Suffolk County LI tell me they are really hunkered down and they are glad that they are.

MTA bridges and tunnels are now open, and NJT bus operations should start service by noon. No word on rail service yet, but I'd expect at least NEC service to get restored later today. M&E might too. Only NJCL may be delayed a bit due to the heavier snow that they received in Monmouth County.

NYCTA will start operations by 9am and should be fully operational (Sunday service) by noon.

NJT RVL and ACL will resume service by noon.

NJT RiverLINE is running.

It wasn't to bad here in Monmouth County nothing at all like the were predicting. Guess its better to air on the side of caution but for what we ended up getting here it was nothing that far out of the ordinary.

I am scheduled to ride NER #67 BAL-WAS on Wednesday morning, connecting to #29 to CHI. My baggage is also scheduled on the same train.

I'm expecting that #67 might not be leaving Boston on Tuesday evening, so I might have to ride a later train. Should I be worried about my baggage getting down to Washington in time for #29's departure? Any new about tomorrow morning's trains on the NEC s\South being cancelled or delayed? If the NEC south is running tomorrow, maybe I should check my bags tomorrow morning to ensure that they'll arrive in Washington in time for the connection.
I suggest that you should consider having a backup plan to get to WAS, such as taking MARC on Wednesday, if you can handle the luggage you were planning to check at BAL. If NYP is shut down, Amtrak may have just a handful of trains operating out of PHL to WAS.
I brought my bags down to the station this morning. 67 was running, but about 20 minutes late. (It was running 40 minutes late at 4:45 AM when I got up and checked for work closures and MARC conditions.) I decided to check it this morning instead of this evening, because I didn't know what 67 would be doing tomorrow. I had to wait around for the baggage guy (this was around 6 AM), but when he arrived, he was very helpful, and got my bags on 67 (with a little help from another woman who was working with him. He just checked them to Chicago, where I'll pick them up and check them on the Lamy. I had to ride down on 67 because I missed two MARC trains while waiting to check my bags. When 67 came in, the BC car was in the front of the consist, but the baggage car was in the rear. The baggage handler and conductor conferred, and as a result the conductor took the bags into the BC car, and carried them further down the train. Coach seats were facing to the rear, BC seats were facing forward. The train was not very full. Lots of Amfleet consists parked on the tracks in the WUS lower level.

I expect to be able to ride 67 down tomorrow, and then off on the Capitol after work and the SWC to see the Raton Pass! Where in the ride should I be looking for the semaphore signals?

I expect to be able to ride 67 down tomorrow, and then off on the Capitol after work and the SWC to see the Raton Pass! Where in the ride should I be looking for the semaphore signals?
Look for the semaphores in northern New Mexico, west of Raton Pass and east of Albuquerque.

Almost a non-event in NYC. Better to be prepared than not - to a degree.
The wags are calling the storm in NYC a "Snoreaster".
Maybe in NYC and south, but north of there it was a full blown blizzard with 2-3 feet of snow and 75 mph winds!
Now the news is that de Blasio is angry with Cuomo for shutting down HIS city before he had a chance to. Sounds like politics as usual as someone in Albany knows what is better for the city than the mayor does.

This is a direct consequence of NY City having lost control of its transit system to Albany during its bankruptcy. The Governor unfortunately does not need to take the city's permission to do what he pleases in his fiefdom known as MTA. :)

This is a direct consequence of NY City having lost control of its transit system to Albany during its bankruptcy. The Governor unfortunately does not need to take the city's permission to do what he pleases in his fiefdom known as MTA. :)
Checking the Second Avenue Sagas blog, which focuses on NYC transit and, of course, the plans for the Second Avenue subway line, I see there are a number of very unhappy New Yorkers about the subway getting "shut down" when MTA had a comprehensive snow plan in place to keep running core service. Gov. Cuomo is not popular with the transit crowd in NYC right now. Even less than he was before. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back