East Coast Blizzard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the NEC cancellations start rolling in.....

2168, 2170, 2172 terminating in NYP.

2124, 2126, 2128 CANCELED

179, 196, 198 CANCELED

94, 178, 66 terminating in NYP.

67 originate in NYP

654 terminating in phl

80, 90 terminating in WAS

No NJT service after 10pm today and all of Tuesday

MNRR is considering canceling Tuesday operations but nothing definite yet.

I am scheduled to ride NER #67 BAL-WAS on Wednesday morning, connecting to #29 to CHI. My baggage is also scheduled on the same train.

I'm expecting that #67 might not be leaving Boston on Tuesday evening, so I might have to ride a later train. Should I be worried about my baggage getting down to Washington in time for #29's departure? Any new about tomorrow morning's trains on the NEC s\South being cancelled or delayed? If the NEC south is running tomorrow, maybe I should check my bags tomorrow morning to ensure that they'll arrive in Washington in time for the connection.

#67 might operate out of New York on Tuesday, or even from Philly. No way to tell right now. No reason to outright cancel it completely on Tuesday.

BTW, Boston just announced that all T service is cancelled for all day Tuesday. Stand by for announcements regarding service resumption on Wednesday.

Gov Cuomo said he expects to shut down LIRR and Metro North and all main roads effective 11pm this evening. Looks like Penn Station will be a ghost town except for a few Amtrak trains.

Massachusetts and Rhode island expect to issue travel bans effective midnight tonight (Monday) that will last through most if not all of Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made it home from London a couple of hours ago. Rescheduled mid air by a very proactive British Airways. The customer service agent said it was take this flight or hang out till Wends. I should have stayed :lol: oh well. Ready for this staycation I doubt I'll leave the house before Thurs AM.

Blizzard Warning for Massachusetts

A crippling and potentially historic blizzard will impact the area ....
Travel will be impossible and life threatening across the entire region.

Those venturing outdoors may become lost or disoriented, so persons in the warning area are advised to stay indoors.

Heavy snow and strong winds will result in White-out / blizzard conditions with near zero visibility.

Snow accumulation of more than 2 feet. Considerable blowing and drifting snow.

Snow may be wet enough to result in downed tree limbs and power outages in addition to the winds. Winds: north 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.
Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.

I hope this warning is valid. SO many times, they scare folks for non-events, and fail to prepare for catastrophes. I know we're all human and they do the best they can. Almost seems like the forecast to actual conditions tend to be inversely related.

Just made it home from London a couple of hours ago. Rescheduled mid air by a very proactive British Airways. The customer service agent said it was take this flight or hang out till Wends. I should have stayed :lol: oh well. Ready for this staycation I doubt I'll leave the house before Thurs AM.
Glad you made it home safely. I am sure a storm in NJ is much more exciting than anything you would be doing in London. :lol:

As always, it was good to see you in WAS MLK weekend. :)

I have a nephew that does snow removal for OT in New Jersey in addition to his regular job as a State Electrician!

Hopefully people that do outside work in the NE will be safe and everyone does stay home during the blizzard conditions!

Penn Station as a ghost town would be a sight to see!!

Just saw on the Facebooks that everything E of NY is shut down tomorrow. No official word yet...
Yup, rumblings from people who work at Amtrak seem to indicate that there is a high likelihood that all service east of New York may be cancelled on Tuesday. This may have as much to do with what MNRR is willing to run on Tuesday or not, as anything else. MNRR itself is shut down effective 11pm Monday until further notice apparently. That is why 66 is terminating in NYP and 67 is originating in NYP.
2166 will be the last train to Boston. 177 will be the last train to New York. 479 and 494 will operate with no connections.

Just saw on the Facebooks that everything E of NY is shut down tomorrow. No official word yet...
Yup, rumblings from people who work at Amtrak seem to indicate that there is a high likelihood that all service east of New York may be cancelled on Tuesday. This may have as much to do with what MNRR is willing to run on Tuesday or not, as anything else. MNRR itself is shut down effective 11pm Monday until further notice apparently. That is why 66 is terminating in NYP and 67 is originating in NYP.
2166 will be the last train to Boston. 177 will be the last train to New York. 479 and 494 will operate with no connections.
The Governor of NY just ordered a total shutdown of all things transit, closure of all MTA/PANYNJ bridges and tunnels, and a ban on driving, effective 11pm tonight. If Amtrak ran, there would be pretty much no legal way to get to NYP.

Which raises the question about 66 and 67 terminating and originating in NY. Perhaps they need to move that down to Philly.

I had heard that the Governor was about to announce this about three hours back. So it finally happened I see.

I guess people could walk or ski, like we did on Long Island after the 1978 storm which shut down the Stony Brook campus of SUNY for a week!

I am scheduled to ride NER #67 BAL-WAS on Wednesday morning, connecting to #29 to CHI. My baggage is also scheduled on the same train.

I'm expecting that #67 might not be leaving Boston on Tuesday evening, so I might have to ride a later train. Should I be worried about my baggage getting down to Washington in time for #29's departure? Any new about tomorrow morning's trains on the NEC s\South being cancelled or delayed? If the NEC south is running tomorrow, maybe I should check my bags tomorrow morning to ensure that they'll arrive in Washington in time for the connection.
I suggest that you should consider having a backup plan to get to WAS, such as taking MARC on Wednesday, if you can handle the luggage you were planning to check at BAL. If NYP is shut down, Amtrak may have just a handful of trains operating out of PHL to WAS.

South/west of New York to Philadelphia, Winter Plan B is in effect on the NEC. Many interlockings are being spiked straight, and train frequencies being reduced. Details will come out over time.

Of course with the total travel ban in New York and the Emergency declaration in NJ it is not clear what the purpose of running any train to Newark or New York would be.

CT effectively will be shutting down at 9 pm, RI at midnight and MA also. I doubt Amtrak will operate north of NYP on Tuesday.
Service is suspended after 2166 and 177 this evening, until further notice.
Now we have definitive word from Amtrak that the next train after 2166 and 177 today to run between New York and Boston will be on Wednesday morning at 6:20am. No trains on Tuesday.

Keep safe, all of you in the storm's path! :eek: . I almost have survivor's guilt: high of 64 here yesterday and 66 today and sunny. For perspective, normal for here the last week of January are highs around 40.

Though it's still too early to get an accurate prediction, they dropped our expected totals from 4-8" to 3-6" // 8-12" to 6 to 10" (depending where it tracks).

The Weather Service forcast is for as little as 17" of snow. I haven't lived back there for 45 years, but I don't remember entire cities shutting down for that amount of snow. If this storm fizzles, there are going to be a lot of angry people. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back