EB 7 vs 27

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertaborn

Train Attendant
Preparing for second Amtrak trip and I know EB is one train made up of two parts, splitting in Spokane. Two of us separately booked today from SBY to MOT return for September because booking together we couldn't get the lower rate, One got lower rate return, I only got lower rate outbound - not a biggie, we're talking only $20. But one of us is booked on #7, the other one on #27 - coach, lower level. Is this going to mean we'll be in different cars or can we sit together? Since we'll be disembarking well before SPO I'm guessing not a problem?

Technically, your seats are in different cars. I think the odds are pretty good, though, that the train crew will let you sit together ... I'd just explain the situation nicely to the crew at boarding time.

Note, though, that it's not 100% guaranteed that you'd be allowed to sit together, but I think the crew would be OK with it unless the train is completely sold out, which isn't likely in September.

If the crew that day decides to be a pain in the posterior (it is not unheard-of on Amtrak to have such crew), just head to the Sightseer Lounge and sit together*

*assuming you are capable of climbing stairs from lower level to upper level.

On the Empire Builder, passengers are seated according to destination, not train number, at least in my experience. When I travel from St. Paul to Minot on 7 or 27, it doesn't matter what "train" my ticket is on, I will always be put in one of the #27 coaches, usually the one with a baggage compartment. The same is true on the way back. I've bought tickets on 808 several times, but since I wasn't traveling from St. Paul to Chicago, I've never sat in it. Heck, I've bought lower level tickets a number of times, but have always been assigned a seat up top. I'd just tell who ever is assigning seats (the coach attendant, the conductor) that you're traveling together, and I doubt that you'd have any trouble sitting together.

As said, they try to seat everyone by destination. This is partly so they do not have to double or triple spot (stop the train) at stations where the train is longer then the platform. Even if you are on "different trains", I'm 95+% sure you'll be seated together!

A very good chance you will be together.. Our trip last fall WIN-CHI they put us onto 8 (our ticket was 28) as said, they want to advoid making another stop if they can.. On our return trip, they did the same thing.

I was able to change my booking to the same train number as my travel companion today - just feel better doing that! Because I hadn't activated my credit card - duhh! senior moment! - I had my reservation on hold so just cancelled and rebooked. My thanks to all who responded - this is a great forum for information and helpful hints!

BTW - prices had changed (higher) from when I originally started researching our trip and because of this forum I found out about Amsnag and we were able to adjust our timetable to take advantage of lower pricing. Also, when I went to book both tickets yesterday the lower price had disappeared, but again thanks to this forum I tried booking for only one and they reappeared, and that's why we booked separately! Also love the status map which I found via forum. I've learned so much from you train enthusiasts and your input has been so helpful last year and now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back