Empire Builder and California Zephyr Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catblue

Service Attendant
First time Amtrak traveler with questions.

How many cars are on the Empire Builder and California Zephyr or does that vary?

Is there a web site that shows the general order of where cars are placed on the train?

Basically wondering how many cars you might have to go through to get from sleepers to dining car, etc. or how many people might be walking through my sleeper car to get there.

In general the sleepers are on one end of the train, the coaches on the other and the dining/cafe and lunge cars are in the middle of the train. At most you would have two others passing through your car depending on train make up and such for the day and where your car is located on the train. Coach passengers are kept out of the sleeper cars usualy. In my expierence its pretty quiet in the sleeper cars in regaurds to passengers walking through the cars.

First time Amtrak traveler with questions.How many cars are on the Empire Builder and California Zephyr or does that vary?

Is there a web site that shows the general order of where cars are placed on the train?

Basically wondering how many cars you might have to go through to get from sleepers to dining car, etc. or how many people might be walking through my sleeper car to get there.
Aloha

The answer you received is correct for the California Zephyr, I don't remember the arrangement for the Empire Builder as there are cars that split, some going to Portland and the rest to Seattle. So either wait for someone with a better memory or do a search with Portland, Seattle, Empire Builder as the criteria. the Empire Builder is my second Favorite train, The California Zephyr my third, The Coast Starlight my favorite Long Distance train.

When I was on the Empire Builder last October, here's the order of the train:

Baggage car (to/from SEA)

Trans-dorm (to/from SEA)

2 sleepers (to/from SEA)

diner (to/from SEA)

2 coaches (to/from SEA)

sightseer lounge (to/from PDX)

2 coaches (to/from PDX)

1 sleeper (to/from PDX)

1 coach (between CHI and MSP only)

The Empire Builder splits or combines in Spokane.

I was on the California Zephyr last year from Emeryville to Chicago.

The order of the train was:

2 Locos

Baggage car

1 Transition Sleeper

2 Sleepers

Dining Car

Sightseer Lounge

3 Coaches

I don't understand why they put the sleepers right behind the engines.

Like said before access to the sleeping cars is pretty tight. I stayed in the second sleeping car and I got a "may I help you" for walking up into the first sleeping car!

Great trip overall!

I don't understand why they put the sleepers right behind the engines.
I read somewhere that during the early 70s when Amtrak still used steam heat, it was common practice to put the sleepers behind the engine in hopes the old worn steam heaters would at least heat the sleepers. I guess after HEP was adopted they never changed the procedure.

I read somewhere that during the early 70s when Amtrak still used steam heat, it was common practice to put the sleepers behind the engine in hopes the old worn steam heaters would at least heat the sleepers. I guess after HEP was adopted they never changed the procedure.
Well, on the single level LD trains out east they have just moved the sleepers to the back uniformly, except of course for the Boston sleeper on the LSL, which still remains up front to make splitting/joining easier in Albany.

Trans-dorm (to/from SEA)

2 sleepers (to/from SEA)

diner (to/from SEA)

2 coaches (to/from SEA)

2 coaches (to/from PDX)

1 sleeper (to/from PDX)

This was our w/b EB on May 9 from MSP. Same set up except we had an extra coach for the whole trip. The PDX sleeper is always the last car both directions.

Baggage

Trans-dorm

Sleeper

Sleeper

Coach

Diner

Coach

Coach

===== Last four are the PDX section

Lounge

Coach

Coach

Sleeper

A healthy hike to the diner. Often I time going to/from the Diner at smoke stops so that I can do my walk outside.

Trans-dorm (to/from SEA)

2 sleepers (to/from SEA)

diner (to/from SEA)

2 coaches (to/from SEA)

2 coaches (to/from PDX)

1 sleeper (to/from PDX)

This was our w/b EB on May 9 from MSP. Same set up except we had an extra coach for the whole trip. The PDX sleeper is always the last car both directions.

Baggage

Trans-dorm

Sleeper

Sleeper

Coach

Diner

Coach

Coach

===== Last four are the PDX section

Lounge

Coach

Coach

Sleeper

A healthy hike to the diner. Often I time going to/from the Diner at smoke stops so that I can do my walk outside.
That doesn't make sense...why would they make sleeper passengers walk through a coach car to get to the dining car? And why would the Sightseer Lounge be detached to go to Portland and not go to Seattle (where most passengers terminate)?

We rode the SWC two years ago from Galesburg to LA and our sleepers (three of them) were at the end of the train right behind the dining car. THAT makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't make sense...why would they make sleeper passengers walk through a coach car to get to the dining car? And why would the Sightseer Lounge be detached to go to Portland and not go to Seattle (where most passengers terminate)?
We rode the SWC two years ago from Galesburg to LA and our sleepers (three of them) were at the end of the train right behind the dining car. THAT makes sense.
Because if the Sightseer went to Seattle, then the Portland section would have no food service at all.

And there is no way to setup the train, unless you want to do a lot of switching in Spokanne, to keep the Portland sleeper at the front. The way things are now, the train arrives into Spokanne, they cut the train between the Seattle coaches and the Sightseer lounge. The Seattle section then goes on its way, while the crews add a new engine to the Portland section.

Any other way would mean much more switching work, all in the middle of the night, sure to wake up the sleeping passengers.

...That doesn't make sense...why would they make sleeper passengers walk through a coach car to get to the dining car? And why would the Sightseer Lounge be detached to go to Portland and not go to Seattle (where most passengers terminate)?
Basically what you have is two trains that run as one to and from Chicago and Spokane. The problem is the Portland section. They do not want Portland coach passengers walking through the sleeper to get to the lounge and diner, so for the Portland portion of the train (on the rear of the train), the sleeper is put on the end. That way the sleeper passengers walk through coach rather than the coach passengers walking through the sleeper.

As for the Sightseer lounge, the Portland section needs a car for food service for coach and sleeper passengers. Since the majority of passengers head to Seattle, they send the diner that way. To provide food and beverage service to and from Portland, they send the Sightseer to PDX.

EDIT: I've got to type faster. Alan beat me again!

When 5, 25 and 35 used to run as a single train from Chicago to Denver they had no way of putting the train together such that Coach passengers did not have to walk through a sleeper. The few times I traveled on that combo the coach passengers of 35 had to walk through the sleeper of 25 to get to the lounge and diner.

So people from one sleeper will walk through the other to get to the dinner and lounge? Is that done on the upper level or the lower?

As others have said, the train splits in SPK, and they just have to detach 1 car (between the SEA coach and the Lounge) to make 2 trains. As for the MSP coach, they have no other choice but to put it behind the PDX sleeper. (Yes, that means coach passengers walk through the sleeper!)

When the EB arrives in MSP, all they have to do is hook up a switcher and remove 1 car from the back. If it was anywhere else, they would need to separate the train, place it on another track, remove the 1 car, then move the train to combine it with the rest of the EB and then reattach it. :rolleyes:

When I traveled on the EB in October, I was in the PDX sleeper in Bedroom A - 10 feet from the back door. I didn't even realize they tok off the car! (Yes, I knew it would be removed. I didn't feel anything.)

Being a first timer I have a lot of questions so I am reading as much of the forum as I can looking for the answers. Thanks for all the comments and the links. Much appreciated!

I was reading the post about "what to bring with you" and it was a long list of things like duct tape, flashlight, etc. I guess it is better to be prepared than needing something you don't have but with the luggage restrictions, small space in the sleeper and not wanting to check baggage I am also planing on packing as light as I can.

So what are your "bare minimum" suggestions of things needed besides the obvious things you take when traveling????

I guess it is better to be prepared than needing something you don't have but with the luggage restrictions, small space in the sleeper and not wanting to check baggage I am also planing on packing as light as I can.
Packing as light as you can is always a good idea, nevetheless I have to say that in a Sleeper you will have enough space if you don't mind putting your luggage on the luggage rack downstairs.

While it is true that there is a small space for storage inside your room, the Empire Builder and California Zephyr (and most trains west of Chicago and New Orleans and the Capital Limited) use Superliner cars - which have a large storage area for baggage on the lower level of the cars. You can keep your bags there.

I do, and just bring necessary things (like my laptop) to my room. I even leave my change of cloths in my bag downstairs. After all, if you are headed to the shower or to the restroom to change, you pass that rack anyway! ;) So I personally see no reason to carry it to the room!

So using the example that most sleepers and bedrooms have two people in them and will have a couple bags each, that seems like a lot of bags, so how hard is it to get to yours in the storage area on the first floor?

So using the example that most sleepers and bedrooms have two people in them and will have a couple bags each, that seems like a lot of bags, so how hard is it to get to yours in the storage area on the first floor?
The attendant, if good, will always find a way. :ph34r:

I was reading the post about "what to bring with you" and it was a long list of things like duct tape, flashlight, etc. I guess it is better to be prepared than needing something you don't have but with the luggage restrictions, small space in the sleeper and not wanting to check baggage I am also planing on packing as light as I can. So what are your "bare minimum" suggestions of things needed besides the obvious things you take when traveling????
I pack two bags, one very small one containing just what I will need on the train, and one larger one containing all the other stuff I will need on my trip. The small one goes into my roomette with me, and the large one goes as checked baggage.

What do I pack for use on the train? A few articles of clothing, toiletries, shower shoes for the shower, a book, my iPhone and its charger, and an extension cord for the charger. I do not bring duct tape, masking tape, string, rope, shim stock, coolers stocked with provisions, cleaning supplies, tool boxes, spackle, flashlights, soldering irons, ham radio equipment, or any of the other stuff that will appear in these pages as must-bring items. You're not Admiral Byrd wintering over at Little America, you're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it. (Which also means, please don't show up in the dining car in your underwear, e.g., t-shirts and short pants.)

Questions:

Metropolitan Lounge? Don't suppose someone who drove you to the train station can wait in the lounge with you till your train boards?

Picking up tickets? Do you recommend picking them up early or do you just pick them up when you get to the station? Reason I ask is it is a 6 hour drive to the station.

Lounge car? Does the lounge car fill up fast? There are 8 of us and we would like to be together at dinner and were wondering about the lounge car.

Dining car? How long can you sit at the dining table? Don't like to rush but don't want to causing people to wait to eat either. Is it just dinner that is reserved or is it all meals for first class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back