Empire Builder annuled for a couple of days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
empire builder, you beat me in posting this info by 10 minutes.

im taking the builder in about 10 days, so i hope there arent anymore avalanches!

The Empire Builder that was traveling on the day of the derailment must have been detoured, it did finally arrived into Seattle about 9 1/2 hours late.

The #8 of that day also continued on, it is running just a few minutes short of 7 hours late.

Here's Amtrak's official press release on the cancellation.

Severe weather conditions along the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Railway "high-line" is leading to the closure of the railroad to Amtrak operations between Minneapolis-St. Paul and the west coast.  The BNSF reports 50 inches of wet snowfall and more snow is predicted in North Dakota and Montana.  
Amtrak will originate Empire Builder service in Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul through Friday, Jan. 30.  However, there will be no Amtrak  service west of the Twin Cities in both directions along the Empire Builder route to and from Seattle, Wash., and Portland, Ore., via Spokane, Wash., through at least Friday, Jan. 30.

Amtrak customers with travel plans along the Empire Builder route west of Minneapolis-St. Paul are being asked to call the toll-free Amtrak number (800.USA.RAIL) for updates.

Amtrak is in constant contact with the BNSF Railway and appreciates BNSF's efforts to restore service in these severe weather conditions.  A decision about the resumption of service west of the Twin Cities will be announced as soon as possible.
The full press release can be found here.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
The Empire Builder that was traveling on the day of the derailment must have been detoured, it did finally arrived into Seattle about 9 1/2 hours late.
Did they detour it, or did they turn equipment on both sides of the closure and bustitute through another route, such as I-90? Amtrak has done that in the past, and I'm actually quite surprised they're not trying something like train from Seattle and Portland to Spokane, bus to Havre, MT and train the rest of the way. Of course, depending on how the equipment was located during the derailment, that may not be possible.

A reroute around Marias Pass would involve turning around at Shelby, MT, heading southeast to Laurel, MT and taking Montana Rail Link's trackage (the old Northern Pacific mainline) up to Sandpoint, ID. I'm not sure how long it would take. I'm reasonably sure that it would take more than 9 1/2 hours over the Marias Pass route, but I could be wrong.

I believe they had the EB re-routed over this route before, traveling on MRL. I think I remember reading that this EB that was detoured arrived about 24 hours late into Chicago, im not certain, but I think it was in an article of Trains magazine 10 years ago that I dug up one afternoon.

So you might be right about not being detoured.

man i wish they would reroute it via montana rail link tracks, permanently! (i live in livingston) :)

shanghaiamtrak said:
man i wish they would reroute it via montana rail link tracks, permanently! (i live in livingston) :)
Slightly off topic, but I actually traveled through Livingston this summer when I took a trip on the Montana Rocky Rail Tours excursion train. It was a lot of fun, very cool place.

shanghaiamtrak said:
Personally, I like where the Builder runs currently, since my parents live in Williston, ND. It makes it real easy to get home. :D Now, I'd like to see the North Coast Hiawatha restored. That went through Billings and Livingston on it's way between Seattle and Chicago.

EmpireBuilderFan said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Did they detour it, or did they turn equipment on both sides of the closure and bustitute through another route, such as I-90? Amtrak has done that in the past, and I'm actually quite surprised they're not trying something like train from Seattle and Portland to Spokane, bus to Havre, MT and train the rest of the way. Of course, depending on how the equipment was located during the derailment, that may not be possible.

A reroute around Marias Pass would involve turning around at Shelby, MT, heading southeast to Laurel, MT and taking Montana Rail Link's trackage (the old Northern Pacific mainline) up to Sandpoint, ID. I'm not sure how long it would take. I'm reasonably sure that it would take more than 9 1/2 hours over the Marias Pass route, but I could be wrong.
A reroute around Marias Pass would involve turning around at Shelby, MT, heading southeast to Laurel, MT and taking Montana Rail Link's trackage (the old Northern Pacific mainline) up to Sandpoint, ID. I'm not sure how long it would take.

If there is a re-route via Great Falls, BNSF has tracks from Great Falls to Helena and then MRL from there to Missoula, Sandpoint and on to Spokane. There is no need to go all the way to Billings (Laurel) for the detour. Also, such a detour would take longer than 9 1/2 hours (it would probably take that long to get to Billings--and then it was about 12 hours between Billings and Sandpoint, Montana is a large state--4th largest in the Union).

steve_relei said:
If there is a re-route via Great Falls, BNSF has tracks from Great Falls to Helena and then MRL from there to Missoula, Sandpoint and on to Spokane. There is no need to go all the way to Billings (Laurel) for the detour.
According to the maps on BNSF's website, the track from Great Falls to Helena is marked as out of service. While the tracks may be usable, I don't think regulations will allow the Builder to be run over them until they're put back into service. That's why I said that the Builder would have to go to Laurel, instead of cutting across to Helena.

Also, such a detour would take longer than 9 1/2 hours (it would probably take that long to get to Billings--and then it was about 12 hours between Billings and Sandpoint, Montana is a large state--4th largest in the Union).
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear here. The Builder showed up 9 1/2 hours late in Seattle. I was trying to say that running down to the MRL tracks and back up to Sandpoint would take more than 9 1/2 hours in addition to the time it takes to travel from Shelby to Sandpoint over Marias Pass. It currently takes the Builder 7 1/2 hours to get from Shelby to Sandpoint via Marias Pass. I'm saying that it would take more than 17 hours (7.5 hours + the 9.5 that the Builder was late) to make the detour. Is this a bit clearer?

That the Great Falls-Helena section is out-of-service--is interesting news. It also points to the misfortune of not having the Hiawatha or the Pioneer anymore; passengers could be booked and routed on those trains, assuming the Hiawatha route (ex-NP line) would still be open for service--the same severe weather that closed down the ex-GN line might cause the NP line to be closed also.

it would be nice if someone could figure out what amtrak did with those trains that had already left seattle and minneapolis with this incident occurred.....

One source has it on good authority from the BNSF that the events in question occured around the early afternoon, MST. After some good work by BNSF M-O-W crews, dealing with being close to an environmentally sensitive area (Glacier N. P.) and with some of the coldest weather in recent years, the line was re-opened by approximately 10 pm MST, January 30. Amtrak should resume regular running through the route ASAP.

shanghaiamtrak said:
well amtrak is selling tickets on the website for the EB feb 2nd, 3rd and beyond.......
Its possible they haven’t made the necessary changes yet, but i def. would not recommend anyone buying the until you are sure it will be open.

I talked to an Amtrak Red Cap at Portland's Union Station yesterday; he said they were going to try for Tuesday.

Incidentally, does anyone know what Amtrak is doing for those who were supposed to go on these trains--alternate dates of travel, alternate modes of travel (air, bus, etc.)?

Guest_steve_relei said:
I talked to an Amtrak Red Cap at Portland's Union Station yesterday; he said they were going to try for Tuesday.
Incidentally, does anyone know what Amtrak is doing for those who were supposed to go on these trains--alternate dates of travel, alternate modes of travel (air, bus, etc.)?
Well I dont know for sure, but my guess is that will either offer a refund, provide a voucher, or allow you to make similar reservations at the next available date.

I'd have to guess that it'd be taken on a case by case basis, depending on each passengers needs.

well i have already bought tickets for out of portland on the 8th, i hope they have it cleared up by then.............

Couple of questions......

1) What is the best side of the train to sit on? Leaving Portland I assume it will be pretty full, especially since the train has been cancelled recently...although on the other hand, it could be very empty. All I really care about is getting a window seat, but when the train starts its trek through the Rockies, what side is the best to sit on?

2) Due to the frigid temperatures in the region, do they keep the heat on the train on high for the whole trip? I was on the Vermonter in January 2000 and it was pretty comfortable on board, not overly hot or cold. I'm hoping this one will be the same.

NativeSon: I don't know the answer to your first question, but the answer to #2 is Yes. However it may be a little cooler than you might be used to, so I'd (obviously) bring a sweater or sweatshirt if I were you. Other than that, enjoy your trip. Please post a trip report when you finish.

WICT106. thanks for the heads up!

No worries, expect a detailed trip report upon my return.

Let's see, I'll be leaving Portland on the 9th, getting to St.Paul on the 11th, flying back home that same day but by the time I get home (about 10:30pm) i'll be pretty much exhausted...so, you guys can expect a report on the 12th at some point. :)

Can't wait to get on the Builder...even if it will be coach all the way. :D

NativeSon5859 said:
Couple of questions......

1) What is the best side of the train to sit on? Leaving Portland I assume it will be pretty full, especially since the train has been cancelled recently...although on the other hand, it could be very empty. All I really care about is getting a window seat, but when the train starts its trek through the Rockies, what side is the best to sit on?
The way the tracks run, sometimes the scenery will be on the right and sometimes it'll be on the left. The best thing to do is head forward to the Sightseer Lounge after Whitefish, MT and hang out there. That way you don't have to worry about being on the wrong side of the car. :)

2) Due to the frigid temperatures in the region, do they keep the heat on the train on high for the whole trip? I was on the Vermonter in January 2000 and it was pretty comfortable on board, not overly hot or cold. I'm hoping this one will be the same.
Yes, the car tends to stay quite comfortable, however at night it seems to get a little cool. A light sweater or blanket is usually sufficient to keep comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back