Empire Builder annuled for a couple of days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless it's a P-32-8 maybe...but that too would be somewhat out of place.

It was a GE Dash 8 - 32 BWH (P32) as is shown in this picture (the picture on the right; there is an enlarged view of the photo if you scroll down a bit):

Empire Builder at Portland

Between Portland and Spokane, the Builder sometimes uses these locomotives. Another bit of info: the #500-649 used to be the numbers for the SDP40F locomotives (operated from 1973 to circ. 1981).

Figuring sunset will take place about 5:30 or so up there this time of year, what are some good sights to look for upon departure from PDX? I assume we'll be going through the Columbia River Gorge in darkness correct? I guess i'll have a good 35-45 minutes of good viewing conditions after we leave Portland.....better than nothing!

:)

Don't forget that the Builder travels to Vancouver, WA, first before heading east along the Columbia River. The schedule has the train leaving Vancouver eastbound at about 5:05. This is all assuming the train is running on time. As the days get longer, there will be more and more daylight to see more of the run. Even after the sun goes down, there is usually some reflection of light on the water, which can help you follow it for a while. Reflection of city lights on the water may also help, but there will be little detail.

The Columbia Gorge, to be exact, is that part of the river that flows through the Cascade Mountains. On the Oregon side, that usually starts just east of Troutdale. On the Washington side, it would probably be about Washougal. The real scenery begins at the Bonneville Dam complex and then glides underneath the Bridge of the Gods. This time of year, it will still be too dark to see this and anything farther east than this--going east. Westbound, however, all of this would be quite visible in the mid-morning hours.

For the most part it does. But on a rare ocassion if the P42 that the train came in with is not roadworthy to go back out it may get a DASH 8 that is usually in Portland for switching purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back