Empire Builder, Behind the Scenes.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumble across this on youtube.

"Extreme Trains"

A 6:10 he says "known for its on-time service". I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. I then played that back to make sure that is what he said, and then I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed again!

"Extreme Trains"

A 6:10 he says "known for its on-time service". I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. I then played that back to make sure that is what he said, and then I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed again!
While this year has been very bad on the Empire Builder, historically, it has been one of the better on-time performers. Several times when I've taken it from MSP to CHI in the past several years I found myself at CSU 20-30 minutes early. When this episode was made about 2 years ago, his statement was quite accurate. It's too bad things have gotten to where they're at this past year. Hopefully, mother nature will cooperate again soon and its OTP reputation can be restored at some point.

Dan

"Extreme Trains"

Until this year, the Builder had perhaps the best on time record of any long distance train. Unfortunately, every river along its route seemed to flood this year. Once all the problems are ironed out, I expect the Builder to regain its OT mark.

Thanks so much for posting this. We saw this program on TV awhile back and DVR'd it, but my husband accidently deleted it. Thanks to you, my granddaughter and I spent the best part of today watching it together.

As other said, the times I've been on the EB, it has been pretty good about being on time. But Mother Nature is slowing the poor thing down a little this year.

Mother Nature is slowing the poor thing down a little this year.
Down to 0 MPH!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great video~ thanks for sharing! I think a Rules Examiner would pull him out of service in less than ten minutes especially after jumping off the coach with the step box in place. I wonder who he knows at Amtrak ???

Thanks for posting these videos. The views and behind the scenes looks are interesting. But this guy who is the star of the show gets on my nerves. Some of you know me as a tour bus driver. If this guy was my tour guide I would tend not to tip him, with his silly, vapid remarks and stupid behavior like jumping off the train after the crew put down a step stool. Idiot. :wacko:

A friend of mine on AU burned some of this onto DVD's for me and I loan them out to "newbies" who are thinking about taking the train. I tell them that the CZ is like the EB but better scenery! I had a family of 3 take the CZ yesterday from LNK to CHI and they didn't leave LNK until 8:15am (5 hours late) but checked in with them today and they all really liked taking the train! :rolleyes:

Thanx,

I'm sure we all have friends that think we're crazy because of our love for Amtrak!!!

I just sent these friends of mine copies of this!!!

I did enjoy Part 3. That was a great program in a number of ways, but I would not want to work with Matt. I worked with a young tour driver here in Alaska two years ago who behaved in a similar way. He was riding in my car one day, jabbering and fidgeting. I told him that if I was seated next to him on an airplane and he behaved like that, I would order two Scotch and waters and pour them over his head. We are still friends, in case you think I am a mean person.

I'd like to get a copy of this.. Wished there was a rerun on TV of this.
History Channel sells it in a set of three. Extreme Trains Volume 1
Or if you're just interested in the Empire Builder episode only, you can download it from iTunes for $1.99. The host does spazz out a bit, but there are some interesting segments including the footage inside the Genesis unit while it's running at track speed.

Thanks for the links - this is great.

I think he is funny and at times goofy and corny but it's his TV show and if he gets more people to ride the train all the better!

Now we must all admit that there are some people on here that "get on our nerves" as well but everyone has thier different tastes and styles. BUT I'm not trying to through flames at anyone just find it all funny some times.

Thanks for the links - this is great.

I think he is funny and at times goofy and corny but it's his TV show and if he gets more people to ride the train all the better!

Now we must all admit that there are some people on here that "get on our nerves" as well but everyone has thier different tastes and styles. BUT I'm not trying to through flames at anyone just find it all funny some times.
I'm not trying to be the old grouch here. He is corny, but much of the footage on these programs relating to the trains and countryside that the EB passes through is fabulous.

Or if you're just interested in the Empire Builder episode only, you can download it from iTunes for $1.99. The host does spazz out a bit, but there are some interesting segments including the footage inside the Genesis unit while it's running at track speed.
Thanks for pointing it out on iTune. Will have to check it out. I just may have to download it on my iPhone and when we take our trip next month, I can watch the Empire Builder while I am on the Empire Builder! :giggle:

fun videos, thanks for posting. I'll be on 7/27 over the weekend

Thanks for posting! I saw this years ago, and having never been on an Amtrak train, decided to give it a try. Now I'm addicted. The host is a little too high energy for me (can't imagine being on a long trip with him), but he is amusing and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back