Empire Builder- Clean Bathrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm posting this question to satisify my 8 year old who is opposed to a trip on the Empire Builder this summer because of the smelly restrooms on the NE corridor trains.

Can any one speak to this issue?

Any yes the 8 year old is the boss in the family

While I can't guarantee anything, in general I find Superliner restrooms to be a bit less unpleasant than Amfleet restrooms.

It would also depend somewhat if you are traveling in coach or a sleeper. The sleepers have less people using the bathrooms, than do the coaches on the Builder, so they tend to be a bit cleaner.

Additionally, someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but the Superliner cars all use a sealed vacum system. This helps to contain oders considerably. I think that many of the older cars on the NEC, Amfleet I's, don't have a sealed vacum system. That alone will make a big difference.

Bathrooms on Amfleet cars tend to be more of a problem. My girlfriend road the Pennsylvanian from Philly back to Chicago a few years ago, and she made sure to comment to me on the poor condition of the bathrooms. Even under bad conditons, Superliner bathrooms tend to be better.

It depends on the crew. On our trip to Portland the bathrooms were largely ignored by our worthless car attendant. We had to ask for toilet paper when it ran out.

On the trip back to Chicago, the attendant took some pride in her job and was awesome. We wanted for nothing sleeper or bathroom wise.

My advise is to carry a cel phone with you and when you run into bad attendants or service, report it right then and there in front of said Amtrak employee.

cheapfurcoat said:
It depends on the crew. On our trip to Portland the bathrooms were largely ignored by our worthless car attendant. We had to ask for toilet paper when it ran out.
Just to be fair, it also depends on your fellow passegers too! Some people tend to be careful to leave things clean. They'll mop up excess water splashed from the sink, make sure that the paper towels actually go into the trashcan, and such.

Others seem to think that they are in a 5-star hotel where the maid will be along 10 seconds later to clean up after them.

So even a good attendant can have a hard time if they've got a crowd of prima-donas.

cheapfurcoat said:
My advise is to carry a cel phone with you and when you run into bad attendants or service, report it right then and there in front of said Amtrak employee.
I won't comment on that idea (quite frankly, it sounds like a kid tattling on someone, and then sticking his tongue out at him/her). One suggestion I have heard is, at the end of the trip, leave the poor-service attendant a one cent tip. It gets the point across just as well.

rmadisonwi said:
cheapfurcoat said:
leave the poor-service attendant a one cent tip. It gets the point across just as well.
Aloha

Has anyone ever done this? Seems to me a note without a tip might be more expressive.

I generally would leave at least a small tip in that case, about 5 dollars (if I am very dissatisfied). If the attendant went out of there way to be rude (which has only happened once to me) then I consider leaving 1-2 dollars with a note.

I took the EB in 2002, had a great sleeper attendant, and bathrooms were very clean.

GG-1 said:
rmadisonwi said:
cheapfurcoat said:
leave the poor-service attendant a one cent tip. It gets the point across just as well.
Aloha

Has anyone ever done this? Seems to me a note without a tip might be more expressive.
Personally, I like this idea. Kind of like the "How's My Driving? Call 1-800-XXX-XXXX" signs on semis.

With some attendants, leaving little or no tip or even a note isn't going to change them. If they're providing substandard service once they're probably doing it all the time. This gives Amtrak as a whole a bad name and their superiors need to know what's going on. Reporting them right away is a good idea.

AlanB said:
Just to be fair, it also depends on your fellow passegers too! Some people tend to be careful to leave things clean. They'll mop up excess water splashed from the sink, make sure that the paper towels actually go into the trashcan, and such.
Others seem to think that they are in a 5-star hotel where the maid will be along 10 seconds later to clean up after them.

So even a good attendant can have a hard time if they've got a crowd of prima-donas.
I'm with Alan on this one. On both of my trips this summer (both times I was in a Superliner Sleeper) I did notice good bathroom conditions overall, both attendants were in there every so often cleaning up. I did notice sloppy conditions every so often, but I did see the attendant making a conscious effort to keep them clean. If a restroom needs attention in your opinion let the attendant know, most attendants will look at the restroom sooner than normal if it is brought to their attention. It's like an undercooked steak, if you bring it to their attention it will be fixed, if you don't you'll be unhappy and have a bad experience.

Do both. Point out the problem to them and see if they make an effort to remedy the situation. If it becomes blatantly obvious that they don't give a rip and don't intend to do anything about it, DO report them, certainly in writing, with details. If there were extenuating circumstances of which you were not aware, the attendant can try to explain that to management. But management needs to know that a paying passenger requested service and was not served, and was dissatisfied, with the details. And if service was not rendered, especially after several requests, I would leave no tip at all, as a tip is for services rendered, and if you have asked for service and haven't gotten it, then NO tip is appropriate. $5 would be an exorbitant tip under those circumstances and would constitute a reward for NOT doing his or her job.

You catch more flies with honey, so they say. Whenever I see something that needs attention I just mention it casually to an employee and they're almost always eager to get right on it. Then, I've heard stories of people that demanded an employee fix something right away on the spot or else, and got nothing. Be casual and easy going when you point out something, like a restroom that needs attention, and chances are it'll get done. Amtrak employees have to deal with the public all day long, so try to go easy at first.

cheapfurcoat said:
Most times you probably will not get a signal. Onetime when I did get a signal, I called from the train. I was told that I had to wait until the trip was over before making a complaing. This was back in the days when Amtrak gave out thousands of dollars in vouchers to dissatified customers.

Now, I would just take notes and write a letter to Washingtond, D.C. For bathroom conditons and rudenss, I would not expect much of a refund. When I experienced extremely rude service in Chicago two years ago, I only got a 10 dollar voucher.

On your trip, cheapfurcoat, the conditions were awful, and there was not much to say.

However, the best way I have found to get good service is to make a point of enjoying the trip from the moment you are on the train. Let the attendant know that you are happy to be there. Most attendants will respond positevely to this approach, and everyone will have a better trip.

Back