Empire Builder detours on BNSF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To clarify, only the Eastbound Empire Builder will make this detour. Normally, it follows the CP route, but on those dates only it follows the BNSF route which I believe is the route of the original EB. This route follows the Mississippi from Minnneapolis down to Savahnah, IL, and then through Rochelle and Aurora. At Aurora, it picks up the BNSF line from Galesburg and follows the route of the Chief and Zephyr into Chicago.

I will be riding up on Oct. 9, and return on the 10th, a detour date. I am excipted about this.

:D

Do you have a source for this? This would be an interesting detour and quite a big one too. Any word on alternate transportation for the missed cities like Milwaukee, La Crosse, Red Wing, and other cities?

Alternate transportation will be by bus between St. Paul and Milwaukee, and Hiawatha for anyone going further (i.e. Glenview, or those passengers traveling locally between Red Wing and Chicago).

Based on other detour events or information, would anybody expect a stop in Galesburg or other points along the BNSF route to Chicago? Seems like a nice opportunity to "turn the corner" and get on the CZ or Chief going west same day.

Arkarch said:
Based on other detour events or information, would anybody expect a stop in Galesburg or other points along the BNSF route to Chicago? Seems like a nice opportunity to "turn the corner" and get on the CZ or Chief going west same day.
The detour does not go through galesburg. Rather, the train heads east from Savanah, IL through Rochelle, to Aurora.

Back