Empire Builder in need of spare equipment!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just rode the EB to Minot today from MSP. We then get notified on our home phone that Amtrak is cancelling the return 3 days from now on the 9th. When called, they indicated they had to cancel trains in order to catch up (tonight's #8 is already 10 hours late). Nonetheless, eastbound trains are arriving. When asked if we could board one of the late east bound trains, Amtrak replied they will only be dropping passengers off, not picking any up. It is the craziest thing I have heard. They indicated the earliest we could leave would be the 10th, but there were no guarantees. Does anyone understand what is going on?

More evidence that as expected Amtrak is not a professional operation. Things go wrong and no one is ready, three engines do not just break down and its a fluke! Years of shoddy care for the cars is naturally going to show even worse under severe weather conditions. I sure hope someone finally figures out how to maintain trains, provide for emergency equipment and restore consist to provide for emergency needs as railroads at one time would have done. I won't hold my breath, I will probably never see it.
If you were in charge of choosing how much spare equipment to store where for the Empire Builder, where would you put it? Even if we had the full route structure proposed in NARP's vision, once the westbound Empire Builder left Grand Forks, it would be almost all the way to Spokane (which is almost a day of travel) before it would reach any station or track shared with any other route. Spare equipment becomes a lot more cost effective if it can be shared between many routes.

Doubling, trippling, or quadrupling the Empire Builder's frequency might help, but I still don't see how it would ever be cost effective to always be within four hours of spare equipment.

We just rode the EB to Minot today from MSP. We then get notified on our home phone that Amtrak is cancelling the return 3 days from now on the 9th. When called, they indicated they had to cancel trains in order to catch up (tonight's #8 is already 10 hours late). Nonetheless, eastbound trains are arriving. When asked if we could board one of the late east bound trains, Amtrak replied they will only be dropping passengers off, not picking any up. It is the craziest thing I have heard. They indicated the earliest we could leave would be the 10th, but there were no guarantees. Does anyone understand what is going on?
#8, currently near Grand Forks, is now 24 hours late. That means it won't make it to Chicago in time to leave as #7 tomorrow. So tomorrow's #7 is probably canceled. That would force a cancellation of #8 leaving Seattle on 1/9, which would then cancel the train through Minot on the 10th. Since they are canceling the 9th instead, that means they will be holding a consist (the #7 currently just out of MSP) in Seattle and Portland for a day. Not sure if that would be to avoid potential delays or to avoid canceling a Friday departure. I suspect the latter.

There *should* be an eastbound train on the 8th, and given that the #7 currently through Glacier is only 1:25 late, that train *could* be on time. Very odd that Amtrak doesn't want to take your money...

The relevant question is what failure rate is acceptable. Seems there was a thread last summer discussing a change in locomotive maintenance policy; and someone said that only time and statistics would tell whether it was for better or worse.
Well while it's hardly a sceintific study, I have to say that I've been hearing about far less locomotive failures since the maintenance changes. But again, the key word is "hearing".

Unfortunately, the first half of your statement seems to be correct. However, the second half sounds like something from the mainstream media. In statistics, by definition a "statistical outlier" is perfectly abnormal.
The relevant question is what failure rate is acceptable. Seems there was a thread last summer discussing a change in locomotive maintenance policy; and someone said that only time and statistics would tell whether it was for better or worse.

For what it's worth, I rode the EB last July and we encountered a broken locomotive, lounge left in Portland, dining car with refrigeration problems, and no AC in the bedroom half of the Portland sleeper, all on one train.
Unfortunate or not, it's a fact of life. Bemoaning it is must like bemoaning the sun rising in the east - you can do it if it makes you feel better, but it isn't going to matter a whit in the grand scheme of things. I'm not really sure what the mainstream media has to do with this, but yes, by definition statistical outliers are by definition "not normal", but the fact that they occur certainly is a perfectly normal thing. Not expecting there to be statistical outliers would be foolish.

As for failure rate, until someone is actually able to produce data to back up their claims, wild assertions that "amtrak is not a professional operation" and "has to point to inadequate maintenance" are off the mark (and no, the single anecdotal data points in this thread are not "data").

Unfortunately, the first half of your statement seems to be correct. However, the second half sounds like something from the mainstream media. In statistics, by definition a "statistical outlier" is perfectly abnormal.

For what it's worth, I rode the EB last July and we encountered a broken locomotive, lounge left in Portland, dining car with refrigeration problems, and no AC in the bedroom half of the Portland sleeper, all on one train.
Unfortunate or not, it's a fact of life. Bemoaning it is must like bemoaning the sun rising in the east - you can do it if it makes you feel better, but it isn't going to matter a whit in the grand scheme of things. I'm not really sure what the mainstream media has to do with this, but yes, by definition statistical outliers are by definition "not normal", but the fact that they occur certainly is a perfectly normal thing. Not expecting there to be statistical outliers would be foolish.

As for failure rate, until someone is actually able to produce data to back up their claims, wild assertions that "amtrak is not a professional operation" and "has to point to inadequate maintenance" are off the mark (and no, the single anecdotal data points in this thread are not "data").
Frankly I hardly would know where to begin. One thing is clear.. There are those who support poor shoddy quality service at extreme prices and there are a few here I see that feel its totally unexceptable.

I stated that I would probably never see major improvements, I hope I am wrong. Money has played a part in this situation without a doubt. But to close ones eyes and settle for what ever rattling, beat up, short, uncomfortable, cold, hot, or broken toilet consist that is provided while asking thousands of dollars for the experience is obviously not what one paid for.

As some said, in an ideal world, which this is not, we would not be in a position to have no cars available for emergencies. When your accepting peoples money for transportation your contracting to get them where they expect to be farseeing any totally out of control situation. Thus the idea that absolutely no cars should exist as "backups" in case of situations such as we are experiencing shows a total disregard of reality. You can't justify running a system on a shoestring and have any no way to maintain service as "sold" when things get a bit out of sink. What if a train has a major accident, are we to just have a total mess until new cars can be produced.. No, you should have at least one set, I would think more, for emergencies so that things will run as expected. Not though up your hands as is happening now and leaving passengers who after all, are the reason your running a train, left to fend for themselves. That is proof enough to me that things are not professional. But I will go on sense evidently you have been able to totally overlook the realities of todays rail system.

From two chicago to west coast trips and one to the east coast, and a number of local runs over the past year, I will state some of the things that I have personally experienced that should someone really be in charge would not be as they are;

Toilets that didn't work in the Mountains in either direction of both the Zephyr or the Chief. There is no question that poor management decisions have prevailed as that situation has existed for many years and continues to this day.. If I were in charge it would have ended after the first experience that showed they did not work.. What the heck is more basic than toilets that flush? How can you justify ignoring that while charging the rates Amtrak does?

The Empire Builder had a broken dishwasher from Chicago and no way to repair or replace the car in the reverse trip. Thus the nice china place settings as advertised were plastic plates.

As the toilets situation, the heating in nearly any car can extreme from freezing in summer or winter, to over heating on one end or the other.. Again, there is no real fix too it, just keep running them and excepting the fares, who cares if people are totally uncomfortable for days on end.

A basic and yet continuing problem is food running out on trips while leaving the commissary end of the trip. And worse, no way to replenish at the turnaround point in many cases. Does no one know how much food is used on a train after 30 years?

Dirt, well that is obvious. Who ever is in charge of seeing that things are truly cleaned properly can't see in the corners any better than the people hired to clean.

Torn and damaged seats in Business class cars. Nearly every seat on the Chicago run to Centraila last trip was coming apart at the seams, that could only happen over a long period of neglect.

Sleepers that rattle.. Well that is an unending story.. No one has evidently attempted to stop the doors from banging while stuffed cardboard, duct tape and cheap replacement latches are in evidence on nearly every trip.. Who is in charge here!

On the Lakeshore, the center table is removed and cartons and plastic boxes are stacked in its place. Not what I would consider appealing surroundings for dinner, and again should never have been started or allowed.

Water pouring in the vestibule of the lounge car on the Lakeshore.. I would bet its still doing it..

Lake Shore roomettes, none of the curtains matched up with velcro and closing the window for privacy or using the toilet was very difficult. Its not rocket science to have them made the same so that they work.. Only people that are unconcerned with the paying public's experience could tolerate that. How many years have they run them that way with on one doing anything?

Lake Shore, reading lights fell out when you tired to get them to work and neither did.

Acela seats after just a few years are poor quality and uncomfortable.. Poor planing.. Same with the CCC cars seats. After being stuck for two hours in the Capitol Limited Diner while the crew was totally lost, the seats were nearly unbearable and they are brand new.

Lake Shore.. They call that a Lounge? Only the most apologetic amtrak fan could say that is a lounge in the true sense.

Crews that treat you as cattle.. As per the Steward on the CZ and the attendant at the Acela Lounge who gave us no chance to say we were traveling by sleeper out of new york before tossing us summarily out of the lounge and telling us to wait in line outside the door of another loading area. Again they had seats available in that waiting area, but we were told you couldn't enter it till the train was boarding.. So much for spending half an hour standing with your luggage and your 85 year old mother.

Well the list is long enough, but it wouldn't be hard to increase it and I am sure others could easily do so. Here again were talking a Transportation Company who is charging premier prices in many cases. Maybe I grew up in the wrong era, but I would bet the Santa Fe wouldn't have allowed one of the above things to exist longer than the next turnaround point.

Don't get me wrong, I love rail travel.. Thats the problem. I can't cover for the poor quality or service one often received. I want people to have a great trip without wondering why they ever considered taking the train.. And more than a few come away with the "I will never take the train again" attitude due to issues such as above. We forget that the paying passenger is the reason for the whole thing. Making their experience one that pleasant and timely is a must. It often doesn't seem that people at Amtrak have much more than maintaining there jobs in mind.

I could also write about all the great people I have had as attendants and waiters and some very pleasant meals.. But you always remember the problem trips more. Probably because of the great disappointment of things that could be so easily fixed by aren't..

Sorry for the long post.

More evidence that as expected Amtrak is not a professional operation.
as usual, i have to agree with larry. i love riding the train. yarrow and i leave on a pleasure trip spk-abq next tuesday. i hope it goes well but i know if it doesn't it's no particular skin off amtrak's nose and there will very likely be no one to take responsibility and fix anything

As some said, in an ideal world, which this is not, we would not be in a position to have no cars available for emergencies. When your accepting peoples money for transportation your contracting to get them where they expect to be farseeing any totally out of control situation. Thus the idea that absolutely no cars should exist as "backups" in case of situations such as we are experiencing shows a total disregard of reality. You can't justify running a system on a shoestring and have any no way to maintain service as "sold" when things get a bit out of sink. What if a train has a major accident, are we to just have a total mess until new cars can be produced.. No, you should have at least one set, I would think more, for emergencies so that things will run as expected. Not though up your hands as is happening now and leaving passengers who after all, are the reason your running a train, left to fend for themselves. That is proof enough to me that things are not professional. But I will go on sense evidently you have been able to totally overlook the realities of todays rail system.
Larry, I'm sorry but I think you're being totally unrealistic with your demands above. Forget for a moment that Amtrak is a Government creature, there isn't a private company in the world that would consider doing what you're suggesting. The math simply doesn't add up. If they were to do what you suggest, they'd have over $10 Million dollars worth of equipment just lying around doing nothing hoping for a rainy day. Here's how the number work out:

There are 9 key end points where one or more spare sets of equipment would have to sit to meet your requirements, one of which is Chicago where we'd have to really allow 2 full Superliner sets do to the number of train and one single level set. New Orleans would also require a single level set and a Superliner set. And I counted Seattle and Portland as one. That's 12 sets of 8 cars trains, the normal average length, at $100,000 per car and it's probably higher than that at today prices. All of that's before adding in the costs of a spare baggage car and engines, and all just sitting around waiting for a rainy day.

That's 10 Million dollars worth of equipment sitting around rusting, earning no keep, no helping to pay off the loans that brought the equipment, all for a rainy day. I know of no company that would do that as it's simply unrealistic to tie up that much money and earn nothing from it.

As the toilets situation, the heating in nearly any car can extreme from freezing in summer or winter, to over heating on one end or the other.. Again, there is no real fix too it, just keep running them and excepting the fares, who cares if people are totally uncomfortable for days on end.
If one end of the car is a problem, that it a mechanical issue I agree. If the car is just overall too hot or too cool, it could be mechanical, but it could also just be that the attendant isn't doing his job to properly adjust the temperature controls in the car. Granted the later problem could be fixed by getting mechanical to install a real thermostat that allows one to actually set a desired temperature level, but then that requires time and money that at least for the moment is better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Lake Shore roomettes, none of the curtains matched up with velcro and closing the window for privacy or using the toilet was very difficult. Its not rocket science to have them made the same so that they work.. Only people that are unconcerned with the paying public's experience could tolerate that. How many years have they run them that way with on one doing anything?
Actually only a few years, since the Viewliners used to all have shades instead of curtains. But your complaint is still valid.

Frankly I hardly would know where to begin. One thing is clear.. There are those who support poor shoddy quality service at extreme prices and there are a few here I see that feel its totally unexceptable.
I stated that I would probably never see major improvements, I hope I am wrong. Money has played a part in this situation without a doubt. But to close ones eyes and settle for what ever rattling, beat up, short, uncomfortable, cold, hot, or broken toilet consist that is provided while asking thousands of dollars for the experience is obviously not what one paid for.

As some said, in an ideal world, which this is not, we would not be in a position to have no cars available for emergencies.
Up to this point, I thought that you were talking about the airline industry!

Allen,

I have no proof to back this up, but I bet someone here does. I can hardly believe that famous trains such as the CZ or the SC or Panama Limited, ect. were run with only the existing equipment being used 100% of the time with no back up. That defies reality. There were serious wrecks and bad weather then as well and somehow the idea that for months or years they waited to replace a consist that was damaged.

Perhaps I over stated the idea, maybe it should be that several sets of spare cars should be ready to replace out of the major distribution points a train that has been damaged or the service severely thrown off balance. No matter, the point still stands and is not unreasonable that a company have at least a few spare train sets in case of unforeseen events.. That would only make good business sense, not bad and it should be done.

As too the heat issue, I have been on endless trips where when people ask about the problems with either it being too hot or too cold the explanation is that systems are not working right and are not fixed as they should be. I can only think that those answers are pretty much correct.. why else does a person freeze in the business car for instance while the next car is fine. On our California trip it was so cold in the sleepers you had to have a blanket in the day time. It was either on or off, yet on other trips it has been hot.. Neither situation is what it should be. People in the lounge had blankets around them to stay warm in summer.. If that is the way they were designed amtrak should have gotten a refund for the cost.

Allen,
I have no proof to back this up, but I bet someone here does. I can hardly believe that famous trains such as the CZ or the SC or Panama Limited, ect. were run with only the existing equipment being used 100% of the time with no back up. That defies reality. There were serious wrecks and bad weather then as well and somehow the idea that for months or years they waited to replace a consist that was damaged.

Perhaps I over stated the idea, maybe it should be that several sets of spare cars should be ready to replace out of the major distribution points a train that has been damaged or the service severely thrown off balance. No matter, the point still stands and is not unreasonable that a company have at least a few spare train sets in case of unforeseen events.. That would only make good business sense, not bad and it should be done.
Yes, the freights had some spare equipment sitting around which did help in situations like this. But let's not also forget that in many cases the freight co's had more than one train running a route. This gave them extra flexibility that Amtrak doesn't have.

That said, Amtrak does have some spare capacity normally available to them. Around the holiday's when everything gets pressed into service however, most of that spare equipment is in use. But otherwise, outside of a holiday situation, Amtrak can usually cobble together a spare trainset in Chicago, LA, and NY. Seattle usually has a spare car or two on hand, but not enough to make a full trainset.

As too the heat issue, I have been on endless trips where when people ask about the problems with either it being too hot or too cold the explanation is that systems are not working right and are not fixed as they should be. I can only think that those answers are pretty much correct.. why else does a person freeze in the business car for instance while the next car is fine. On our California trip it was so cold in the sleepers you had to have a blanket in the day time. It was either on or off, yet on other trips it has been hot.. Neither situation is what it should be. People in the lounge had blankets around them to stay warm in summer.. If that is the way they were designed amtrak should have gotten a refund for the cost.
And again, I'm not suggesting that all the time that it has to do with the way that the temps are set. Just stating that at least some of the time it probably isn't a maintenance issue.

#8, currently near Grand Forks, is now 24 hours late. That means it won't make it to Chicago in time to leave as #7 tomorrow. So tomorrow's #7 is probably canceled.
Today's 7/27 is being run as stub to MSP. Train 8/28 from yesterday hasn't even arrived yet.

Allen,

Fortunately recently that original Zephyr site was posted. I counted the original car sets ordered that were specific for the Zephyr. Then I counted the roster of cars as operated on the train daily.. That was 11. If there were six sets operating at any time it still left 11 cars not running and purchased for use on the Zephyr.

It also mentions that at times if a situation arose due to cars out of service a standard rail car might be found in the consist. It seem like the diners were the closest with most likely no spares. Somehow I don't think that the rail roads would have been caught unable to put together a train if necessary.

I agree with your mention that Amtrak is stretched or how ever you put it. That is a reality, but it shouldn't be. That is what needs changing so that these kinds of things don't occur. In actuality due to generic cars, Amtrak should have a great advantage to be able to provide extra cars since there are no exterior or interior design restraints among the matching car sets.

I could also write about all the great people I have had as attendants and waiters and some very pleasant meals.. But you always remember the problem trips more. Probably because of the great disappointment of things that could be so easily fixed by aren't..
The bolded sentence got my attention. Sure, Amtrak could do better; so what? I absolutely do not understand why anyone would voluntarily remember the "problem trips." I'd much rather forget them, in favor of remembering "all the great people I have had as attendants and waiters and some very pleasant meals."

Since you "love rail travel," perhaps most of the time you really do remember much more of the good than the bad, despite this post. The same goes for other frequent complainers on AU.

Allen,
In the 60's at least with the decline in passenger loadings, spare equipment was not a problem. But, for the premier trains, there still might not be enough of the modern stuff. Don't know about the Panama, becuase I never was inside and only saw it a couple times. But I can say this, on more than one occasion during peak periods, the ICRR would put older heavyweigth coaches in the City of New Orleans, which was supposed to be a streamliner. If use of these cars was supposed to resulte in a reduction of maximum speed, the crews seemed to forget about it. On many occasions in the early days of the streamliners, there would be no spares. so if the streamline had to be out of service, there would be substitution of older equipment even to the point of having steam on a nominally diesel-powered streamliner.

There are 9 key end points where one or more spare sets of equipment would have to sit to meet your requirements, one of which is Chicago where we'd have to really allow 2 full Superliner sets do to the number of train and one single level set. New Orleans would also require a single level set and a Superliner set. And I counted Seattle and Portland as one. That's 12 sets of 8 cars trains, the normal average length, at $100,000 per car and it's probably higher than that at today prices. All of that's before adding in the costs of a spare baggage car and engines, and all just sitting around waiting for a rainy day.
Has Amtrak's decision to have two non-interchangable fleets (Amfleet and Superliner heights) limited their flexibility to move equipment around to fill in as needed in case of impossibly late trains, breakdowns, etc? Would they be in a better position to deal with contingency planning if they hadn't gone with Superliners out west but had instead ordered more single-level cars? If they had two spare cars--all compatible--in New York, Chicago, and New Orleans, they could throw together an emergency EB trainset in Chicago within 24 hours (deadheading the cars in on the LSL and City), use it for a few days until the EB trainsets are back in place, and then return the spare cars to their normal places. It wouldn't be pretty, it might be short a car or two, and it would almost certainly be running with fewer services than normal (maybe a CCC instead of a diner, maybe short a sleeper, etc), but it would exist and most passengers wouldn't be stranded or overcrowded. With their spare cars split between Amfleet and Superliner it's much harder to do this sort of thing.

I know there are benefits to having Superliners (higher passenger capacity per car weight or unit fuel, for instance; cheaper to build and run three Superliner coaches than four Amfleet coaches), but I wonder how the loss of interchangeability balances against this. You lose some flexibility to change consists seasonally or to follow demand changes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bolded sentence got my attention. Sure, Amtrak could do better; so what? I absolutely do not understand why anyone would voluntarily remember the "problem trips." I'd much rather forget them, in favor of remembering "all the great people I have had as attendants and waiters and some very pleasant meals."

Since you "love rail travel," perhaps most of the time you really do remember much more of the good than the bad, despite this post. The same goes for other frequent complainers on AU.
Alice, your point is well taken. Yes overall many trips are great fun. But it is hard to forget the constant banging of the sliding connecting door on moms room on the Lake Shore.. It is a situation that someone with a bit of ingenuity could easily solve. It made the whole trip spent in her room aggravating due to hardly being able to talk over the banging doors. That should not be and I will not make excuses for it or overlook it . Neither thing will fix it or any of the other situations such as toilets that didn't flush for nearly two days each way to california. The reason she paid the higher fare was to have a private toilet, and not one that stunk up the room. That makes for an unforgettable trip. The good time would be much more pleasant without the things which should be an are not fixed being ignored by Amtrak.

Alice,

I have yet another way of seeing this perhaps.. What if you purchased a 1,200 dollar refrigerator that wouldn't keep the food cold. Would that just be overlooked.. How about a car that is a lemon, would you take it back or just put up with it? Heck, probably if you purchased a 50.00 piece of clothing that was sewn wrong or came apart quickly it would get returned. How about a bad expensive steak, ever sent it back?

Why should Amtrak be any different.. Were expected and do spend good money, things should have some relationship to one another. I wouldn't stay at a hotel that had dirty rooms, would you. What if the steam pipes were banging so loud you couldn't sleep, would you complain.. In fact in Los Angeles at the Bona Venture the heat was nearly at 90 and wouldn't come down. You bet we complained. Only thing was there someone within minutes was there to apologize and fix it!

Jeez ...

I'm beginning to wish now that we hadn’t invested upwards of $2600 — at the lowest bucket prices, yet — in our Southwest Chief/Surfliner/Coast Starlight/Empire Builder trip in two months’ time, if this (i.e., broken bedroom toilets, uncomfortably overheated cabins, suddenly cancelled trains, dirtiness, clanking doors that interfere with sleeping and don’t respond to passenger-supplied “fixes”) is the sort of thing Amtrak ever expects its “first-class” customers to put up with.

Can somebody talk me down here before I fly off into panic mode? :unsure:

Sue (who does tend to overreact sometimes)

In the 60's at least with the decline in passenger loadings, spare equipment was not a problem. But, for the premier trains, there still might not be enough of the modern stuff.
Was that a gradual and continuous decline? Amtrak has some spare mothballed Amfleet I coaches today, but the FRA insists that they need to be better maintained than they have been before Amtrak can use them, and I'm sort of curious whether the railroads of the 1960s really had a surplus of equipment that had recieved adequate maintenance.

I'm beginning to wish now that we hadn’t invested upwards of $2600 — at the lowest bucket prices, yet — in our Southwest Chief/Surfliner/Coast Starlight/Empire Builder trip in two months’ time, if this (i.e., broken bedroom toilets, uncomfortably overheated cabins, suddenly cancelled trains, dirtiness, clanking doors that interfere with sleeping and don’t respond to passenger-supplied “fixes”) is the sort of thing Amtrak ever expects its “first-class” customers to put up with.
Customer Relations has been pretty reasonable in offering vouchers when I've run into issues with the mechanical condition of Amtrak's equipment. Just take detailed notes during your trip about anything that goes wrong that's clearly Amtrak's fault and not an act of God (or, probably, something caused by Congress's failure to buy Amtrak their own set of tracks) and call Amtrak and ask the first human you get for Customer Relations and let Customer Relations know what went wrong.

Has Amtrak's decision to have two non-interchangable fleets (Amfleet and Superliner heights) limited their flexibility to move equipment around to fill in as needed in case of impossibly late trains, breakdowns, etc? Would they be in a better position to deal with contingency planning if they hadn't gone with Superliners out west but had instead ordered more single-level cars? If they had two spare cars--all compatible--in New York, Chicago, and New Orleans, they could throw together an emergency EB trainset in Chicago within 24 hours (deadheading the cars in on the LSL and City), use it for a few days until the EB trainsets are back in place, and then return the spare cars to their normal places. It wouldn't be pretty, it might be short a car or two, and it would almost certainly be running with fewer services than normal (maybe a CCC instead of a diner, maybe short a sleeper, etc), but it would exist and most passengers wouldn't be stranded or overcrowded. With their spare cars split between Amfleet and Superliner it's much harder to do this sort of thing.
Platform length might also be an issue. I seem to recall watching the LSL blocking grade crossings while it was stopped in both Elkhart (where I looked out the window and saw that the Viewliner I was in was in the middle of the street) and South Bend. (At South Bend, the train had to pull forward a bit to get the New York City baggage car (which had my luggage from BOS) out of the intersection.) I think there was a station (possibly Waterloo, IN) where we had to make three stops at the platform due to the length of the train relative to the length of the platform. I sort of suspect converting all the Superliner trains to single level might cause more of these sorts of problems elsewhere.

I thought there actually was an Empire Builder trainset run with some single level coaches within the last few weeks.

Stealing all of the spares from the entire rest of the system also means that now there are no spares in the rest of the system whenever anything else breaks over the course of the next week+ the spares are traveling to the west coast and back. And then the whiners will be complaining about how incompetent Amtrak is that there wasn't even a seat for them in coach on the Lake Shore Limited in the middle of winter when they booked a bedroom if a Viewliner happens to be bad-ordered in a place where a spare would normally be available, even though the Lake Shore Limited isn't otherwise directly affected by the weather.

Jeez ...

Can somebody talk me down here before I fly off into panic mode? :unsure:

Sue (who does tend to overreact sometimes)
Relax!

Have an open mind, prepare to have an awesome time, and be flexible. Chances are, you are going to love your trip - don't let a few very vocal complainers ruin things for you and make you upset. For the most part, things like this are discussed because they're out of the norm. It's no fun to sit and talk about the dozens of trains that run without major issues day after day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back