Empire Builder - Newbie questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lizzy911

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far but I am not having great luck with the search funciton for the following questions.

My husband and I want to take the Empire Builder WB in late May (the week before Memorial Day). I was curious how crowded we should expect the train to be and if we will be able to use the observation cars or find them constantly full? I see there are many complaints on tripadvisor about this during the summer but I wasn't sure about in late spring.

We plan on staying in a roomette. Is there any general advice on which roomette is best? I saw that you can often pick this in advance.

Final question - as stated above we wanted to take the train WB but it looks like EB is higher recommended - could you tell me why? We could switch to EB but it would put the long train trip at the end of our vacation vs the beginning.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sorry I didn't sign in the first time.

Also another general question - is the California Zephyr a better journey overall? I had orginally wanted to do Empire Builder since I had never been in those states before but if the scenery is much better on the Zephyr we would be open to that.

Sorry I didn't sign in the first time.

Also another general question - is the California Zephyr a better journey overall? I had orginally wanted to do Empire Builder since I had never been in those states before but if the scenery is much better on the Zephyr we would be open to that.
I have been on both. Both have great scenery,however in my opinion the Zephyr is a little better.I believe the food is better on the Empire Builder though.

The closer your room is to the center of the car, the better it is, less track noise and less traffic going through the doors at the ends of the car.

We always tried to go before Memorial Day, Amtrak usually raises fares on Memorial Day. We like going in May because the days are longer.

Try to decide when you want to go and get you tickets ordered. The closer it gets to the departure date, the higher priced the tickets are.

I reread your post, we were on the WB and liked it,however we haven't been on the EB Biulder.

GregL

Last edited by a moderator:
First - welcome!
hi.gif

Second - It is technically not an observation car - although many people call it that. It is a Sightseer Lounge. And I have almost always found an empty seat there at some time.

Third - The difference between the westbound and eastbound EB is that westbound, the area around Glacier NP may be in darkness but the Columbia River Gorge (if going to Portland) or the crossing of the Cascades (if going to Seattle) will be in daylight. Going eastbound, it's just the opposite.

3-A - The difference between #7 and #27 or #8 and #28 between Spokane, WA and Chicago is that there is no difference. The #28 or #27 sleeper is at the end of the train and the #8 or #7 sleepers and dining car are at the front of the train. #27 and #28 operate to/from Portland, OR, while #7 and #8 operate to/from Seattle, WA.

Forth - It's a matter of opinion, but I consider the westbound run of the California Zephyr to be the most scenic run in the country. Especially the crossing of the Colorado Rockies west of Denver and the crossing of Donner Pass west of Reno!
cool.gif

I've taken both trains (though I'll admit I've been on the Empire Builder much more), and both are great trains. I think that the food and service is usually better on the Empire Builder, and I've never had problems with toilets not flushing on that train. Late May is the best time to take the Empire Builder, as the prairie is still green and there is still snow in the mountains, plus it will still be daylight when you run along the Mississippi westbound. I'm in a minority in that I really find the Great Plains beautiful. Most people are more interested in mountains.

On the other hand, the California Zephyr has more mountain time, and more spectacular mountains. Plus the train traverses the mountains *during the day*. Much of the Empire Builder's time in the Cascades and Rockies is in the dark.

Some people prefer the Empire Builder eastbound because it usually has more daylight hours in the mountains, and you're sure to have daylight when you travel next to the Mississippi. Plus, you don't have the sun in your eyes when you go up the Columbia River gorge if you're on the Portland section.

Amtrak doesn't raise the fares at all.
I have a suspicion, substantiated by well-in-advance price-checking on Amtrak.com, that Amtrak starts summer fares on the EB in the second bucket (i.e. there are no low-bucket seats), assuming that the train will fill at that price. If the train doesn't fill, then low-bucket seats become available a few weeks before departure.

Mark

I think your choice to take the east bound EB in May is genius!! Mainly because I, too, am taking that route in May. You can second guess yourself till the cows come home on which route to take and which direction to go. If you compile 100 comments from this board you will get a pretty equal representation of reasons to take each long distance route to/ from the west coast. The southern desert is beautiful in its own way, the center of the country has dramatic,craggy peaks and the big sky of the north is equally impressive. For this trip, stick with your plan and enjoy the blooming of the northern plains and the snow capped mountains and the full, rushing springs and rivers. The CZ and the SL will still be around for your next trip, maybe using the Coast Starlight as an awesome connector between the two. Set back and soak up a whole bunch of America you have never seen before.

I'm inclined to think that any discussion of which is better --- EB or WB Empire Builder, or EB or WB California Zephyr --- is a lot like trying to discuss which super-model is better looking. :lol: Both of those trains are fantastic trips in either direction. :cool:

My suggestion would be to make two trips. Take each train in both directions by making the he Coast Starlight your loop connection on each trip. That way you would get to experience three long distance trains in both directions. :D

Then YOU can decide which one you like better. :hi:

I'm inclined to think that any discussion of which is better --- EB or WB Empire Builder, or EB or WB California Zephyr --- is a lot like trying to discuss which super-model is better looking. :lol: Both of those trains are fantastic trips in either direction. :cool:

My suggestion would be to make two trips. Take each train in both directions by making the he Coast Starlight your loop connection on each trip. That way you would get to experience three long distance trains in both directions. :D

That is a Fantastic idea :wub: if you can afford it? These are Very pricey trains, Very popular also! :eek: If forced to choose, Id do the CZ West Bound, then take the Starlight to Portland and ride the Empire Builder on the Portland Section to CHI. Of course the Starlight from LA to the Bay Area is a fantastic leg of this trip, if you have the points or can afford it go from the Bay Area to LA, spend the night and then ride the Starlight North! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice! We are pretty much set on the train WB Chicago - Seattle, then two nights in Seattle, the coastal train from Seattle - San Francisco, and then three nights in that area.

I have traveled to every continent except Antarctica in the past decade and I'm looking forward to seeing some of my own country!

That is a Fantastic idea :wub: if you can afford it? These are Very pricey trains, Very popular also! :eek: If forced to choose, Id do the CZ West Bound, then take the Starlight to Portland and ride the Empire Builder on the Portland Section to CHI. Of course the Starlight from LA to the Bay Area is a fantastic leg of this trip, if you have the points or can afford it go from the Bay Area to LA, spend the night and then ride the Starlight North! :cool:
Last year we did ROC to CHI to SEA to EMY to CHI and back to ROC. This year we're going from ROC to CHI to EMY to SEA to CHI and back to ROC. :cool: We toyed with the idea of a trip from EMY to LAX and spend a couple of days, then back up to SEA in order to catch the whole Coast Starlight in both directions, but I can't seem to string enough vacation time together for one trip to do all that. Too bad, too. ;)

Two alternate plans were to go from ROC to CHI to NOL, then to LAX on the Sunset Limited, then north on the Coast Staright to SEA, or go from ROC to CHI to LAX on the Southwest Chief, then north on the Coast Starlight to SEA. Both of those trips got nixed. I won't enter the state of AZ for any reason, <_< and my wife won't enter the state of TX for any reason. <_<

So we just make do with our limited routes on Amtrak. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back