Empire Builder on the east-side Mississippir river today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EB_OBS

Conductor
Due to CP rail construction today, 9/22/10, the Empire Builder will be running along the east side of the Mississippi river today. All station stops from Redwing to Milwaukee will be missed.

Really? Thats strange.... What will they do about the people getting on and/or off at the stations inbetween? bus between Milwaukee and Minneapolis to meet the train in Minneapolis?

Due to CP rail construction today, 9/22/10, the Empire Builder will be running along the east side of the Mississippi river today. All station stops from Redwing to Milwaukee will be missed.

Yes, passengers destined for those intermediate stops detrained at MSP and left on on-time buses from Minneapolis-St. Paul. I'm on train #8 now, I'm not exactly sure of the plans for train 7/27 but I imagine it's buses for MKE - RDW and the train will depart Chicago with only those passengers destined for stops MSP and further west.

The detour is eastbound only. The westbound train (#7) will hold at Columbus for open track.

This used to be the regular route of the Empire Builder pre-Amtrak when the Great Northern ran the EB. I took this route one time round-trip between Spokane and Chicago. I don't remember much of the trip (gee, since it was 45 years ago, no wonder ;) ) but I do remember some of the stops like Prairie du Chien and East Dubuque, as well as Savanna and Aurora.

This used to be the regular route of the Empire Builder pre-Amtrak when the Great Northern ran the EB. I took this route one time round-trip between Spokane and Chicago. I don't remember much of the trip (gee, since it was 45 years ago, no wonder
wink.gif
) but I do remember some of the stops like Prairie du Chien and East Dubuque, as well as Savanna and Aurora.
This is a picture I took in the 50's of the EB arriving in Chicago from the south side of Union Station. This was taken from Roosevelt Road.

Click on the picture for a larger view.

This is a picture I took in the 50's of the EB arriving in Chicago from the south side of Union Station. This was taken from Roosevelt Road.

Tom,

Any idea why I'm seeing this message?

[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment.

Thanks!

Mike
I got same message. Only other attachment I've tried to open, Alan's scanner frequency list pdf, worked fine.

I'm getting the same message

Tom,

Thanks!

Mike
I got same message. Only other attachment I've tried to open, Alan's scanner frequency list pdf, worked fine.

It has nothing to do with the software.

It's a setting that we control in the Adminstrator's control panel. I turned it on for the PDF's in the forum. It's not turned on for this particular forum at present. And turning it on here is something that first needs to be discussed. Turning it on in the much smaller forum for the Gathering didn't have the same implications as doing so for the Amtrak forum, the largest one we have.

Tom,

Thanks!

Mike
OK - I was trying to see if it would work - it doesn't.

But, here is the picture I had posted. Notice the EB is arriving from the south side of CUS.

EBinChicago.jpg

What a wonderful photograph! Thank you for posting MrFSS. Although considered "old" by some, this picture is still five years before my time. As far as the OP, I would have gone into shock if I was at Rochelle's railroad park when the Empire Builder rolled through. That would have been quite a sight! :blink:

While I only have a few memories of that trip I took in 1965, the orange and green color scheme of the EB I remember well. There are a few of those orange and green passenger cars sitting in a rail yard in Spokane. Eventually, (hopefully within my lifetime :rolleyes: ) they and other vintage rail cars are supposed to be moved to a town about 25 miles west of Spokane and made into a rail museum. I'll believe it when I see it and not until then.

If you want to see a consist of the GN orange and Pullman green coaches, come up to Oseola WI. They are part of the Minnesota Transportation Museum's tourist railway.

They have an open platform, observation car, a baggage car, and a few more.

To see more info go to Trainride.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back