Empire Builder service cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BNSF informed Amtrak early this morning that trains 8/28(20) and trains 7/27(21) will be able to get through on the KO sub. The alternate route bypassing Rugby, Devils Lake and Grand Forks.
Those trains are due through the affected area early Wednesday morning.
Well at least we'll get a sense of OTP for thew coming weeks. It only gets better from this point forward.

BNSF informed Amtrak early this morning that trains 8/28(20) and trains 7/27(21) will be able to get through on the KO sub. The alternate route bypassing Rugby, Devils Lake and Grand Forks.
Well at least we'll get a sense of OTP for thew coming weeks. It only gets better from this point forward.

:D That sounds good. Thanks!!

Any guesses about how much of a time delay will result in EB getting to SEA from CHI on this route?

My ticket to Vancouver includes taking the Thruway Bus from SEA. Is that bus only for EB passengers going to Vancouver? Wondering if that bus will wait if EB's arrival in SEA is really late or if we might be left without a ride :blink: ?????? Haven't ridden Amtrak before and I'm not sure how all of this works.

My ticket to Vancouver includes taking the Thruway Bus from SEA. Is that bus only for EB passengers going to Vancouver? Wondering if that bus will wait if EB's arrival in SEA is really late or if we might be left without a ride :blink: ?????? Haven't ridden Amtrak before and I'm not sure how all of this works.
Why not consider spending an enjoyable night in Seattle or Everett and take the morning train to Vancouver?

#510 Cascades

LV SEA 7:40AM

AR VAC 11:45AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not consider spending an enjoyable night in Seattle or Everett and take the morning train to Vancouver?

#510 Cascades

LV SEA 7:40AM

AR VAC 11:45AM

TrackWalker, I'd love to spend time in Seattle but I really need to be in Vancouver earlier the next day. Hopefully, another visit will permit me to enjoy the Seattle area. Thank you for the suggestion!

Any guesses about how much of a time delay will result in EB getting to SEA from CHI on this route?

Find out if the thruway Vancouver bus that you are ticketed on to Vancouver is a "guaranteed connection". If it is, they will have a bus waiting for you.

The bus is just part of Amtrak's Cascades service between Seattle and Vancouver. There are buses leaving at 10:45AM(yours), 1:15PM, 6:30PM and 9:15PM in addition to the Cascades train which leaves early in the morning at 7:40AM. If the EB is really late they would not hold the 10:45AM bus as others are using it. They would simply put you on one of the later buses. If the train is so late you miss that last bus then you might have to stay overnight. Hopefully at Amtrak's expense. Go to the Amtrak web site and select schedules then Cascades and print it out. It has all the options. I would call them to confirm this if I were you.

If that is the same detour that I took on trains 8 and 7 before the floods shut the EB down (and it sounds like it may be based upon the towns bypassed), there were no significant delays caused by the detour.

If that is the same detour that I took on trains 8 and 7 before the floods shut the EB down (and it sounds like it may be based upon the towns bypassed), there were no significant delays caused by the detour.
That was before at least one washout on the subdivision. For now BNSF warns of "reduced speeds through this impacted area." I'd say that it was reasonable to expect some delay, but perhaps any delay could be made up in the long journey between Minot and Seattle.

I am new to this site but not new to Amtrak. We will be on train 7 leaving Chicago on 5/5. What would be a good guess as to the state of service at that time? I followed the OTR for the detour before the latest washout and the trains were running ahead most days. How many miles is the washout area?

Ron

I am new to this site but not new to Amtrak. We will be on train 7 leaving Chicago on 5/5. What would be a good guess as to the state of service at that time? I followed the OTR for the detour before the latest washout and the trains were running ahead most days. How many miles is the washout area?Ron
There should be some service, however, depending upon how quickly BNSF crews replace a bridge that has been washed away, as well as some track damage, you might be riding some "rare mileage." In other words, you might get the detour on the Surrey Cutoff between Fargo and central North Dakota. According to this link, Amtrak has resumed service throughout Minnesota.

WCCO, "Amtrak to resume service within Minn."

Anyone know if she's been running on time so far? Amtrak website still says no info due to service disruption

Anyone know if she's been running on time so far? Amtrak website still says no info due to service disruption

Train 7 which departed Chicago on Apr 21st, arrived into Seattle today at about 10am or 20 minutes early.

Number 7 that left yesterday departed from Minot only one hour four minutes late this morning. Time that could still easily be made up and arrive into Seattle early.

Train 8 which left Seattle on the 21st departed Minot on time last night but left Fargo this morning about an hour and half late.

Not too bad of performance time considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Train 7 which departed Chicago on Apr 21st, arrived into Seattle today at about 10am or 20 minutes early.

Number 7 that left yesterday departed from Minot only one hour four minutes late this morning. Time that could still easily be made up and arrive into Seattle early.

Train 8 which left Seattle on the 21st departed Minot on time last night but left Fargo this morning about an hour and half late.

No matter how early Train 7 is into Spokane, WA, it does not leave until 2:15. Spokane is a service stop. As for Seattle on Train 7 and PDX on splitoff Train 27, freight traffic dictaes whether the train is early, on time or late. It is normal to see the trains 30-45 minutes early, but just as often; on time.

#8 was an hour late at St. Paul this morning, but is expected in Chicago at 6:38, 2-3/4 hours late.

Train 27 arrived in Portland 26 minutes early this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back