Empire Builder Status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Radparker

So, I suppose it'd be bustitution from Chicago to Minneapolis-St. Paul on the EB on July 4th, yeah?

Kinda bummed, we're going to go to Minneapolis, last minute, because the timing works. Train would've been perfect, except for the darn flooding. Oh well.

The EB is running again on alternate tracks between Chicago and MSP. No mid-points, however. Check out Amtrak.com for the latest up-date.

I've heard that 7 (and presumably 8 as well) is losing 4-5 hours on the detour.

If I didn't have to work yesterday, I would've gone out on 7 and back on 8. Damn job.

If I didn't have to work yesterday, I would've gone out on 7 and back on 8. Damn job.

Oh my, I'm scheduled to go on the train Seat - Chgo on 7-7. I wonder what are the chances, I'm not sure that I would like to be could up on a bus for 10 hours eating at McDees or Subway

Oh my, I'm scheduled to go on the train Seat - Chgo on 7-7. I wonder what are the chances, I'm not sure that I would like to be could up on a bus for 10 hours eating at McDees or Subway

Chances are pretty low, since the regular route is now open.

Yes, the Empire Builder is back on it's normal route... the first trip through was #8 on 7-1-08... followed by #7.

If you are traveling on #7 out of CHI on Monday, July 7 or into Chicago on #8 on Tuesday, July 8 let me know... I'll be your Trails & Rails guide!

Me and My Mother and My Stepfather are scheduled to ride on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago on July 4th. first off, is the seattle section of the Empire Builder is Back to running on the Cascade Mountains to Spokane? and Second is the whole train is now running on its normal route from MSP to Chicago?

Chances are pretty low, since the regular route is now open.
Well, after callling Amtrak 27x because the waiting was over 25 minutes, I got up at 4AM today. I asked how was the trip for #8 yesterday out of Seattle. They had to bus passengers from the first station Seat to Spokane due to tracks repair. Later, they had to use buses 5x on their way to Chicago.

I don't know if you noticed, but someone posted here on another thread they were late over 4 hours and they ran out of food. The buses stopped only at McDees or Subway.....

Needless to say, I canceled and gladly paid the 10% penalty charges. It looks like is going to be like this for a long time.

Well, after callling Amtrak 27x because the waiting was over 25 minutes, I got up at 4AM today. I asked how was the trip for #8 yesterday out of Seattle. They had to bus passengers from the first station Seat to Spokane due to tracks repair. Later, they had to use buses 5x on their way to Chicago.
I don't know if you noticed, but someone posted here on another thread they were late over 4 hours and they ran out of food. The buses stopped only at McDees or Subway.....

Needless to say, I canceled and gladly paid the 10% penalty charges. It looks like is going to be like this for a long time.
Oh no!!. My wife and I are taking EB from SEA to Chicago leaving on the 12th. If we are faced with that situation we may just fly and lose the AGR points. We will both be very sad, we've been planning this trip for a year.

I hate to ask this, but how good is Amtrak at telling you that you will likely be bussed BEFORE you get on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh no!!. My wife and I are taking EB from SEA to Chicago leaving on the 12th. If we are faced with that situation we may just fly and lose the AGR points. We will both be very sad, we've been planning this trip for a year.

I hate to ask this, but how good is Amtrak at telling you that you will likely be bussed BEFORE you get on the train.
First, if you used points, then as long as you cancel before the trip starts and send back the tickets (assuming that you already have them), you won't loose any points.

Second, the EB is back running on its normal route so there are no buses between Minniapolis and Chicago. And the delays caused by the detours are easing now as the equipment gets back on schedule. Barring some new flooding problems, you should be just fine for your trip on the 12th.

Yes, the Empire Builder is back on it's normal route... the first trip through was #8 on 7-1-08... followed by #7.
If you are traveling on #7 out of CHI on Monday, July 7 or into Chicago on #8 on Tuesday, July 8 let me know... I'll be your Trails & Rails guide!

I'll be on train 7 leaving Chicago on 7/7 and will look forward to seeing you. I actually decided to split the connection from Chicago to La Crosse---in part to support the Hiawathas, and gain more AGR segments so I can retain S+ status, but mostly to change up the routine a little. I'll catch the 1:00 PM Hiawatha and connect to the EB in Milwaukee. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a seat in the lounge as it will be packed. I'll definately stop by and say hello. Gary, the lounge attendant may also be working that run. I first met him when he was on the Lincoln service between CHI and St. Louis on the 4:30 AM train to CHI. I barely made it.

Hope to see you in October too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back