Empire Builder to Capitol Limited Connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musher

Train Attendant
My family and I (wife and four kids) will be travelling from St. Paul (MSP) to Washington, DC by way of Chicago. I've been watching the Eastbound Empire Builder for the past week, and I'm starting to expect that our odds of making our connection are not too good. Last week seemed a bit better (better weather in MT and ND?). We're going in mid-February.

We booked our trip over the phone, since we wanted a suite (you can't book that on the web site, or so they say), so I thought Amtrak's rep. knew what she was doing when she set it up. After seeing the first 8 hour delayed train, I contacted them to find out how they handle our connection when this happens.

Now, I'm more than willing to get a free night and some extra time to tour Chicago on our way, but I'm concerned that they won't be able to get equivalent accommodations for us on the next Capitol Limited, or whatever other train they find for us to take.

Are they crazy for expecting us to be able to make that connection? Are they just setting themselves up for trouble? Am I crazy to let them set us up for trouble? Time isn't really the issue, as much as my wanting to get what we paid for. I'd really hate to see them do something so crass as to fly us to DC from Chicago (they don't do that sort of thing, do they?). There is a reason why I'm paying so much more for the train than flying, so I want to get what I paid for.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Amtrak mileage: 300 -- I took the North Star round trip from St. Paul to Duluth back in the 70s. :)

musher said:
I'd really hate to see them do something so crass as to fly us to DC from Chicago (they don't do that sort of thing, do they?).
It's happened to me. It was either that or a bus.

I just arrived in Milwaukee last night on the Empire Builder, at 11:48 PM (9 hours and 53 minutes late). Since we were so late, they ran buses from St. Paul to Milwaukee (and intermediate points). Passengers to Chicago connected to a Hiawatha train in Milwaukee for the rest of the way.

A couple of passengers did board in St. Paul (I believe they had a "day" sleeper, which turned out to be night). In the event that the Builder is extremely late, they often will run such buses so passengers can make connections in Chicago.

If it's only a couple of hours late, though, they probably will make everyone wait for the train. In Chicago, they will try to rebook you if you miss your connection. However, depending on availability, there is no guarantee that you will get your same accommodations on the next day's train.

I've made this conection several times, and only once did I arrive too late to catch the Capitol Ltd. This occured Spring 2004, and I was accomodated aboard the 3 Rivers. Its a shame that Amtrak has chosen to discontinue this option, as it enabled me to connect to the Florida-bound trains in Philly, & not DC. In my case the delay was competely weather-related, & not the fault of Amtrak at all. In the event that this would happen to you, there would be a replacement bus at St. Paul.

Like what RMadisonWI wrote, Amtrak will make a good faith effort to accomodate you. What they might not do, however, is to hold the train. Neither NS or CSX (the landlord, or "host" railroads over which the Cap runs) may permit Amtrak to delay the train, as its delay may complicate their freight schedules.

When I was reaccomodated last Spring, I was given a sleeper. As an additional reassurance, both BNSF & Canadian Pacific RR (the landlord RRs over which the Builder runs) make good faith efforts to get Amtrak over the route without fuss. The Builder has a history of being punctual, among the best in the Amtrak LD system. The weather would be the most likely cause of the delay. Pay attention to the weather in Montana & the Dakotas up to the day before you depart. Any severe weather there will be the most likly cause of delays for your train.

WICT106 said:
Neither NS or CSX (the landlord, or "host" railroads over which the Cap runs) may permit Amtrak to delay the train, as its delay may complicate their freight schedules.
NS and CSX may not like it, but there's nothing they can do if Amtrak delays a train at its initial terminal. It happens all the time. Sometimes, trains leave their initial terminals hours late (usually due to equipment problems or crew rest issues). The train may not be handled very well, but Amtrak could hold it for connections.

Also, my Empire Builder was hours late because of equipment problems. There was no bad weather in sight throughout the whole trip.

I traveled the EB last February and had the same trepidations you have. Fortunately, both westbound and eastbound trips were early. Of course, I lucked out with decent weather.

Also, even if you do have to stay in Chicago an extra day, I'd say you have a decent chance of Amtrak granting you accomadations on the next Capitol Limited since it isn't usually full this time of year.

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out.

I am hoping for the best, and don't plan on getting too upset if things don't work out perfectly. Why ruin a good trip, or make it worse?!

If we're running an hour or two late out of St Paul, though, I'm not checking any bags. I'd hate to have just enough time to make the next train, but miss it dealing with picking up bags. Or do they transfer them to the CL for you, based on their final destination? I'm assuming not.

musher said:
I am hoping for the best, and don't plan on getting too upset if things don't work out perfectly. Why ruin a good trip, or make it worse?!
Good attitude! :)

If we're running an hour or two late out of St Paul, though, I'm not checking any bags.  I'd hate to have just enough time to make the next train, but miss it dealing with picking up bags.  Or do they transfer them to the CL for you, based on their final destination?  I'm assuming not.
If you check the bags in St. Paul to DC, then Amtrak will move them to the Capitol Limited for you.

I always tell people that if they are inclined to get upset over uncontrollable things.......then they may want to consider some other form of transportation. In all my traveling, I have not had any missed connections. Maybe I've been just lucky. But, I consider train travel as an adventure to be enjoyed no matter what happens.

Enjoy.

Chatter163 said:
I would plan to spend the night in Chicago, and book the suite on the next day's train.
That would be fine with me, if it were available on the next days train. I'm not sure that I would bet on a suite being avaialble, though. A family room and a nearby roomette would be ok.

A night in Chicago, and either of those options would be preferrable to getting bussed to Milwaukee, Chicago, or transported by other means.

Back