Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We r booked on the Empire Builder in Dec thru 2 Chicago in a bedroom upper level compartment could any one tell us which side will we b on when travelling North or South as believe best views r on the North

We r booked on the Empire Builder in Dec thru 2 Chicago in a bedroom upper level compartment could any one tell us which side will we b on when travelling North or South as believe best views r on the North
IIRC you will be on the North side of the train . I was in a bedroon on that train last Nov, and was on the North side, and the views were great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepers could be set on the train in either direction (bedrooms first or roomettes first), so there really is no way to know until you board. But the good news is that with a bedroom, with the door open, you could see both sides.

And after SPK, there's always the Sightseer Lounge! ;)

You should spend your day in the Sightseer lounge enjoying the social and view advantages that you are paying for. Your bedroom is for sleeping, showering, and occasional solitude. Your day should be spent in the Lounge or Diner.

You should spend your day in the Sightseer lounge enjoying the social and view advantages that you are paying for. Your bedroom is for sleeping, showering, and occasional solitude. Your day should be spent in the Lounge or Diner.
I know many, many people like the lounge, but I have never developed a taste for it. For some reason I tend to get motion sickness when I stay there too long (don't have that problem in the old type dome cars) and the reflective glare from the windows makes it almost impossible to take quality photos. I do much better with pictures from the bedroom and hall window outside the bedroom door. My wife loves to sit in the lounge and do her cross stitching for hours. I guess I'm the exception to the rule.

I usually do a mixture of both. The reality is that sometimes the lounge is jam-packed with people and while I enjoy the views and mingling, I like to have my own space to return to whether it be a roomette or coach seat.

I ran into photography issues as well on my trip on the SWC. The windows were filthy on the lounge car and I found picture-taking to be better in my roomette.

Bottom line: the beauty of traveling on a train is you can move around easily when you want to and go where you want to! :)

I suppose I'm moderately anti-social.... I don't like the lounge much. I prefer the peace and quiet of my bedroom and the wonderful sights that go by there. Running kids back and forth, with parents who do not control them, just drives me insane.

Now... if say Nicole Kidman was sitting in the lounge, this might be a different story. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back