Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
What is the normal consist of the EB ? What part goes to Portland? 2 or 3 p-42s?

Trainfan

It'll still have 3. You need two to get the Seattle section to Seattle. The third does Portland.

Yup, Portland section (rear of train) = 1 P42, 1 Sightseer Lounge, 1 Coach, 1 Sleeper (2 coaches and sometimes 2 sleepers in the peak season)

Seattle Section = 1 Baggage, 1 Transition Sleeper, 1 Sleeper, 1 Diner, 2-3 Coaches (usually 4 coaches and 2 sleepers in peak season)

Usually continues east with all 3 P42's...At least when I was on it on Dec 30 it did and the videos on youtube after that seem to confirm its a common practice now.

Well I have taken the EB in summer when they had an extra Portland coach and the 807 and we only ran with two P42s.

Yup, Portland section (rear of train) = 1 P42, 1 Sightseer Lounge, 1 Coach, 1 Sleeper (2 coaches and sometimes 2 sleepers in the peak season)Seattle Section = 1 Baggage, 1 Transition Sleeper, 1 Sleeper, 1 Diner, 2-3 Coaches (usually 4 coaches and 2 sleepers in peak season)

Usually continues east with all 3 P42's...At least when I was on it on Dec 30 it did and the videos on youtube after that seem to confirm its a common practice now.
Whether it be during the winter when the 27 train has one sleeper or in peak periods where it has two, more often than not, I see deluxe bedroom availability challenges (and many times no sleeper space at all); likley because the 27 is the connection to southbound CS 11. I am not lobbying to take one of the two train 7 Seattle sleepers and make it a part of the 27 consist, but 27 could somehow use more sleeper capacity on a large majority of trips.

I think the train usually is supposed to carry two P42s all the way from Chicago to Seattle, and one kept in Spokane for the Portland section.

cpamtfan-Peter

Yup, Portland section (rear of train) = 1 P42, 1 Sightseer Lounge, 1 Coach, 1 Sleeper (2 coaches and sometimes 2 sleepers in the peak season)Seattle Section = 1 Baggage, 1 Transition Sleeper, 1 Sleeper, 1 Diner, 2-3 Coaches (usually 4 coaches and 2 sleepers in peak season)

The reason I asked the question was I did see a Jan 09 u-tube with 3 p-42s but I got a little confused on the

rest of the consist :blink: I did (I think see a superliner 2 sleeper :eek: ) which I didnt think the EB was

supposed to have!

Trainfan

When I lived along the Builder route, most of the time it carried only 2 P42's. Sometimes it has 3 but almost always two.

Then Baggage, Trans, Sleeper, Sleeper, Diner, Coach, Coach, Lounge, Coach, Coach, Sleeper.

When I lived along the Builder route, most of the time it carried only 2 P42's. Sometimes it has 3 but almost always two.
Then Baggage, Trans, Sleeper, Sleeper, Diner, Coach, Coach, Lounge, Coach, Coach, Sleeper.
Aloha

This picture from July shows 3, I think we had 2 departing Seattle, from the picture I might be able to figure out what station this is.

16975650_SrURn-M-1.jpg

Aloha

This picture from July shows 3, I think we had 2 departing Seattle, from the picture I might be able to figure out what station this is.

16975650_SrURn-M-1.jpg

That can't be this July, the front two locomotives are in the original Phase 5. No engines have been in that scheme for a few years.

cpamtfan-Peter

Aloha

16975650_SrURn-M-1.jpg

That can't be this July, the front two locomotives are in the original Phase 5. No engines have been in that scheme for a few years.

cpamtfan-Peter
Aloha Peter

The time recorded by the camera is July 7, 2001 at 9:06 HST so adding the time zone difference the earlier comment is correct that it is in Haver, Mt. The only reason I said originally July was to set the trip as a summer one that was probably heaver than a winter/off season, trip

I am puzzled about what Phase 5 means, There is so little difference between the two different positions of the strip and color difference below that stripe that it seems funny to consider that a phase change unless that also shows something I am missing.

Here's a #8 Empire Builder from last month arriving late into St. Paul with three engines (and what three engines they are), and I think two Seattle sleepers. It was a bad day for that train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough looking aren't the words I would choose. And to see a California engine in all that snow gives me the shivers also.

Aloha

Eric

Rough looking aren't the words I would choose. And to see a California engine in all that snow gives me the shivers also.
Aloha

Eric
Eric,

I could be wrong, but that looks like a Cascades engine trailing the one Amtrak P42, not a California engine. I'm pretty sure that's a green stripe on that engine, which would be a Cascades' trademark.

Aloha

Eric
Eric,

I could be wrong, but that looks like a Cascades engine trailing the one Amtrak P42, not a California engine. I'm pretty sure that's a green stripe on that engine, which would be a Cascades' trademark.
Aloha

Alan, I went back and looked at the picture again and I think you are correct. There are some other differences in basic shape if one looks more carefully than I did the first time.

Mahalo

Eric

Aloha

Eric
ALL you would have do to top it off would be replace a couple of superliner coachs with Horizon cars!!!! :lol:

Trainfan

Seattle Section = 1 Baggage, 1 Transition Sleeper, 1 Sleeper, 1 Diner, 2-3 Coaches (usually 4 coaches and 2 sleepers in peak season)
Seattle usually has two sleepers, not one.
YouTube disagrees. Recent runs of the EB has one sleeper on each section and a transition sleeper on the Seattle section.

I suspect that Amtrak losing service of 5 Superliner Sleepers this year has something to do- according to OTOL's revised numbers, over the course of '08 5 Superliner Sleepers (3 SIs and 2 SIIs) have been taken off the active roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back