Engineer for the museum train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie1a

Train Attendant
I'm going to visit the train, in Oakland this weekend. I think it is the 40th anniversay Amtrak museum train. I believe it has crossed the US, or is going to. Not sure of the schedule. I wonder about the engineer. Do they have one or two guys take this train all the way, or do they pick up local engineers every so many miles? How do they do that? Can an engineer take a train through an area where he has never been before? Between dispatchers and signals I would think it could be done but don't know???

If an engineer is not familiar/qualified on a portion of a route, they must be accompanied by a pilot engineer who is qualified on that route.....

If an engineer is not familiar/qualified on a portion of a route, they must be accompanied by a pilot engineer who is qualified on that route.....

again the Museum train with a P42 (which just happens to be painted pretty) is operated by engineer from local crew base.

nothing special in operating a shiny P42 vs a dirty P42.
Isn't it a P40?

Last week I went to see Union Pacific's steam pulled train. I assume it uses the same crew no matter where it goes. How many steam engineers could they have around? However, it looks like they schedule stops of the train so the crew can get their time off while the train is being displayed.

On longer runs, the anniversary train is added to a regular revenue train so no extra crew is required.

again the Museum train with a P42 (which just happens to be painted pretty) is operated by engineer from local crew base.

Isn't it a P40?
even so it operates the same as a P42 or P40, so whats your point besides being a nitt picker.

Isn't it a P40?
even so it operates the same as a P42 or P40, so whats your point besides being a nitt picker.
Dude, really? My simple question really offended you? It was a simple question of curiosity.

On longer runs, the anniversary train is added to a regular revenue train so no extra crew is required.
So do they tack it on to the rear, locomotives and all? Or do they move the loco to the front with the others?
It generally runs with all the engines up front (regular engines, then the two anniversary units), then the anniversary cars in deadhead position (in front of the baggage car), then the regular consist.

So do they tack it on to the rear, locomotives and all? Or do they move the loco to the front with the others?
It generally runs with all the engines up front (regular engines, then the two anniversary units), then the anniversary cars in deadhead position (in front of the baggage car), then the regular consist.
That makes sense. Have you seen any pictures of this on the web?

This would be interesting to see with the San Joaquin between Oakland and Bakersfield next week. However, I'm guessing that they'll just nab one the engineers, rather than go through the rigamarole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back