Engineer/Operator Careers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
If I wanted to become a subway operator or train engineer (freight or otherwise), what type of steps would I have to take? Do they generally have some type of mechanical background, or could I just sign up for training off the street?

I imagine CTA operators go through CTA-specific training, whereas a freight or Amtrak engineer would have different training, yes?

Where's Piotr? He started his career on NYC's subway system earlier this year.

Sarah:

Many of the major freight RRs hire conductor trainees "off the street" with little or no RR background. There are outside schools that do freight conductor training also. I do know that at least here in the East, both Norfolk Southern and CSX have brought all their conductor recruiting, hiring and training "in-house" because it gives them more control over the process. Generally newly hired conductors are trained as remote control locomotive operators (RCOs) almost immediately, and are eligible to be selected for locomotive engineer training after they have been working for about a year.

Go for it!

Amtrak is similar in that they will hire Conductors off the street, but rarely will hire Engineers off the street. Amtrak usually wants someone who has experience in some sort of railroad capacity as a Conductor or Engineer for them to consider them for the position.

I'd love to be a conductor. I like their snazzy uniform. ;)

Honestly, though, I think I'd be really good at it, and I love traveling. I don't mind being away from home overnight. B and I often take little weekend trips without each other; we're very independent. Not being a mother helps a lot too.

I'm tired of being stuck at a desk. I've always enjoyed jobs where I'm on the go, like pizza delivery.

Unfortunately, I do not live near an Amtrak "hub", but we both love Chicago and are not opposed to moving there. We've talked about it a lot, but we both have good jobs here, so there hasn't been much motion in that direction.

I'm not sure where the freight "hubs" are.

Also, I'd be up for a car attendant job. It's customer service, something I'm really good at, plus that "on the go" aspect. I know it's a lot of work, but I'm not afraid of work. It makes the day go by faster and keeps me busy. I asked about the engineer position because I think it would be more fun to "drive". :) Being a subway operator would be pretty cool too, especially on the L. I love that system, and I love that city.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother has been a locomotive engineer, and brakeman for over 30 years. As was mentioned above, CSX and NS have their own training schools and you can apply through the company, fill out paperwork, pass drug, etc testing and no criminal background of consequence. One of his friends has recently been hired as an Amtrak locomotive engineer on the CL. It is true that Amtrak prefers engineers with previous training. My brother has worked for a short line railroad company--Rail America-- Genesee & Wyoming..Ohio Central. They also have engineer/conductor training schools and it might be easier to hire on with them, although the pay is considerably less than the Class I lines. There are opportunities out there since many guys like my brother are retiring or close to retirement in the next few years.

Sarah, I've observed many Amtrak conductors (some of them women, not enough in my opinion), and I think you would make a good one. Attention to detail is important, so is being well-organized, motivated, and of course, there is the customer service aspect to all public-contact train jobs. From what I've seen of you on this discussion board, you need only ask and you'd get lots of recommendations for those qualities! I second the motion, go for it!

Sarah, I've observed many Amtrak conductors (some of them women, not enough in my opinion), and I think you would make a good one. Attention to detail is important, so is being well-organized, motivated, and of course, there is the customer service aspect to all public-contact train jobs. From what I've seen of you on this discussion board, you need only ask and you'd get lots of recommendations for those qualities! I second the motion, go for it!
Thank you! I don't stumble while walking through the train either. It's one of my many talents. ;)

I'd love to be a gate dragon too. I keep checking the postings for Chicago. I'm fairly no-nonsense, so I'd fit right in.

Story time!

We were waiting to board the SWC, and the gate dragon made the announcement for parents with small children to board. Some uppity college girl was standing in line with her friends and didn't hear the announcement, so they were blocking most of the walking path. A man tried to walk past them with his two little kids and a couple of suitcases in tow. She turned on him, snapped her gum, and said, "Ummmm... HELLO??? There's a LINE?"

The gate dragon looked at her and said, "Ummm... HELLO??? He has small children. Let him through."

I almost died. B and I got a good laugh out of that. I still smile when I remember it. :)

:hi: Nice Story Sarah! Sounds like a Mid-West Version of a Valley Girl!! ^_^

Ditto for Me on being a Conductor or a Gate Dragon or a Metro Lounge Attendant! You'd be First Rate in any Job! ;)

Unfortunately, I do not live near an Amtrak "hub", but we both love Chicago and are not opposed to moving there. We've talked about it a lot, but we both have good jobs here, so there hasn't been much motion in that direction.
Sarah, Battle Creek is a crew base - just down the road from you!

Sarah, Battle Creek is a crew base - just down the road from you!
Oh my gosh! I figured the Wolverine crews would be based in Pontiac or Chicago, since the entire trip is only six hours. I didn't think there'd be a "crew change" point halfway between.

These gate dragons...are they somehow related to lounge lizards?
No. :) They're the no-nonsense ladies who control the boarding process and lounge access in Chicago. Someone used the term once, and I thought it was hilarious. They may have meant it as an insult, but I use it as a compliment.

These gate dragons...are they somehow related to lounge lizards?
No. :) They're the no-nonsense ladies who control the boarding process and lounge access in Chicago. Someone used the term once, and I thought it was hilarious. They may have meant it as an insult, but I use it as a compliment.
They're different species. One you find on trains and one you find at stations!

Sarah I think you would be a great addition to amtrak. I think you just have to keep looking at job postings. I have noticed that there are several young women working as the assistant conductor recently. It is a field that could use more women! I recently saw one on the BOS section of the LSL last summer. She looked like she was in her mid-20s.

Traveler - to me, a gate dragon is the mythical dragon guarding the gate/bridge to something, so I'd never use that term on a train. I use it to refer to the actual boarding and lounge access areas. On the train, they're just dragons. ;)

Oh wait. I'm sorry. Did you mean lizards on the train and dragons at the gates?

There are quite a few women conductors and assistant conductors on the west coast, both in the Pacific Northwest and in California. They are very competent and friendly. I would encourage you to take some trips on the Cascades, the Surfliners, and other West coast trains, and chat with them. I think they would be happy to tell you what the work is like.

The Wolverine has 2-3 female conductors that I've met. One was in training during my last trip, and another was telling us about "people who stand by the railroad crossings and take pictures". My boyfriend kept nudging me and laughing. ;) She was cool, though. We were the only BC pax getting off in Kzoo, so she let us stand in the vestibule (?) with her during the last mile to the station. I normally see the conductors hanging out in the doorways as they cross our street, and I get all jealous 'cause they usually lean out the top half of the door (to check on how close they are to the station?), so it was cool to be able to do that. It was noisy, windy, and awesome. I didn't get to stick my head out, of course, but it was still fun riding in the open air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back