Enrolling and buying points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I have a friend that wants to travel within the next two months between Cleveland and Miami. I told him the fares would be pretty high because there wasn't much lead time and the Silver Meteor would be packed with people fleeing the cold. I was correct. Now, I might have a solution for him but not sure it would work.

He is not a member of AGR. If he enrolls, is there a time he has to wait before he can purchase points? With the bonus in force until Dec. 31st, I think he can purchase 13,000 points (including the bonus) for $275. I could then lend him 2,000 points and he'd have enough to take the one zone trip.

It seems to easy to me and I must be missing something.

I know another way would be to lend him the points once he enrolls and have him pay me to replace them.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Your plan would work, as there is no wait time to buy points. Additionally, if he gets the buy done now for 10K, plus 3K bonus, come Jan 1st he can buy the other 2,000 himself.

Or if he's doing a RT, then he could buy another 10K and he'd be short only 6K, which you could then send him.

Your plan would work, as there is no wait time to buy points. Additionally, if he gets the buy done now for 10K, plus 3K bonus, come Jan 1st he can buy the other 2,000 himself.

Or if he's doing a RT, then he could buy another 10K and he'd be short only 6K, which you could then send him.
Thanks Alan, it just seemed too easy.

Your plan would work, as there is no wait time to buy points. Additionally, if he gets the buy done now for 10K, plus 3K bonus, come Jan 1st he can buy the other 2,000 himself. Or if he's doing a RT, then he could buy another 10K and he'd be short only 6K, which you could then send him.
Thanks Alan, it just seemed too easy.
It works and it's certainly easy enough to get started. I've been buying AGR points for several years now and using them whenever the direct cash outlay was beyond a given threshold. However, you should be aware that much of the AGR related advice on this forum is out of date, especially with regard to sleeper awards. Refunds don't work the way they used to and there seems to be ever more restrictive internal guidance on which routings are allowed for a given point level. Bottom line is that you should be absolutely certain that you can do what you want for the points you're willing (and able) to purchase before you start this process. Once you've started purchasing the points you cannot reverse the points back into cash again. Best of luck to you in any case. I've had both good and back luck with AGR myself and I honestly couldn't tell you what made the difference between those experiences beyond the alignment of the planets and constellations.

Yes, AGR has become more restrictive in recent years about refunds, but I will take AGR over any airline any day! Yes, you may lose points if a trip is cancelled xx days out, but once I flew PVD-PDX on a Continental Airlines reward, and lost 12,500 miles because I decided to take :eek: Amtrak :eek: home and not fly home! A round trip flight is 25,000 miles, and a one way award is also 25,000 miles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, AGR has become more restrictive in recent years about refunds, but I will take AGR over any airline any day! Yes, you may lose points if a trip is cancelled xx days out, but once I flew PVD-PDX on a Continental Airlines reward, and lost 12,500 miles because I decided to take :eek: Amtrak :eek: home and not fly home! A round trip flight is 25,000 miles, and a one way award is also 25,000 miles!
That must have been a long time ago. UA now has domestic one-way awards for 12,500 miles: 1/2 the round trip rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, you should be aware that much of the AGR related advice on this forum is out of date, especially with regard to sleeper awards.
Would you care to elaborate on this point a bit? Are you referring to the 2012 change in redemption levels, or something else?

Back