Equipment on the Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
I've got to go to Montreal. I'm thinking on taking the Adorandak from ALB. Anybody know what kind of equipment Amtrak uses on this run: Amfleet II or Cramfleet I?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies

Rick

Pretty simple answer. Cramfleet.

Go for Business Class if you can. IIRC they use a Club-Dinette on the Adirondack, but Alan would know better than I.

Go for Business Class if you can. IIRC they use a Club-Dinette on the Adirondack, but Alan would know better than I.
Actually, they took business class off of the Adirondack, so it's coach-only now.

Frankly, it's pretty bare-bones in terms of amenities... A cafe with tables on each end, then usually 4 coaches with the last one being closed except for south of Albany. That train needs business class and a Diner-lounge in the worst way.

That said, the trip between Albany and Montreal isn't bad, especially since the scenery keeps you glued to the window most of the way. It's one of my recommended routes.

-Rafi

Yikes! Not the answer I was looking for! Air Canada is looking appealing now. An hour with my knees jammed in an airline seat versus nine hours in a cramfleet car. What a choice!

Additionally, there does not appear to be any kind of business class on this train; or if there is Amtrak is not offering to sell it to me.

Rick

I don't remember the most recent trip on the Adirondack, but the first time I rode that train, they used some ex-Metroliner coaches, which had a lower-density seating configuration than the typical Amfleet I cars. I don't know if they still use those or not.

Additionally, there does not appear to be any kind of business class on this train; or if there is Amtrak is not offering to sell it to me.
Rick,

As mentioned by Rafi, the Adirondack does not offer business class. Why I'm not quite sure, but it is one of the few trains that runs more than a hundred miles and doesn't offer at least some form of upgraded accomodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back