Equipment Used on the CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner

Train Attendant
From which train does the equipment come from used on the California Zephyr out of Chicago? The Capitol Limited?

From my trip on the Capitol Limited #29 and #30 a few weeks ago, both train's equipment was from the California Zephyr. Many of the car location numbers were set to 06XX and I found numerous California Zephyr timetables and route guides thoughout the train. However, I think the Capitol Limited gets equipment from the Chief, Zephyr, or Builder, just depending on what train arrived and is serivced first in time for the Limiteds departure.

In large cities like Chicago there are usual rhythms, but when stuff gets late it can come from anywhere. There have been instances on Silver Service when 97's equipment in New York comes from 48 instead of 98. You just can never know unless you are putting the train together yourself.

Thanks for the replies. :D

The reason I asked was because the CZ departed Chicago almost 4 hours late last week. Upon further investigation, the Capitol Limited was late arriving into Chicago that same day close to 4 hours. I don't know the turn around time for the equipment to be serviced and ready for the next long haul. I do know that many factors can cause a train to depart late such as connections, bad ordered equipment, etc. Just pondering.

About the quickest you can turn a train around is three hours (depending on the train). Long trains like the Zephyr need a lot of work from a lot of people to get it out quickly. Other trains however can take longer, AT for instance takes at least 4.5 hours to turnaround assuming there are no bad ordered cars (which is very very rare), so it's more like 5 hours to turn around.

The Chief said:
Superliner said:
Upon further investigation, the Capitol Limited was late arriving into Chicago that same day close to 4 hours.  
Superliner, my understanding is that the Capitol Ltd becomes the SW Chief. I dunno the runthru for the CZ, though.
The Southwest Chief/Capitol Limited run through was annuled at the beggining of the summer. This was due in part that there was less than two hours between arrival and departure eastbound, and that was only if the Cheif was on-time. Well, the Southwest Chief wasn't arriving on-time most of the time, up to 2 hours late was becoming the norm. This in turn put the Capitol Limited departing 2-3 hours late, arriving into Washington up to 4 hours late!

Amfleet said:
due in part that there was less than two hours between arrival and departure eastbound,
Jon, I was speaking of the WestBound runthru, which was what Superliner was asking about. I dunno about the EB. And they may have changed the WB. My info on that is from the second week of July 2003.

I don't know exactly how it works, but I recently rode train 5 from Reno to Martinez and the lounge car said "Welcome to the Texas Eagle lounge" on both the doors, and said "Texas Eagle cafe downstairs." These were, of course, typed up and printed paper signs taped on the windows of the doors entering the cars, but I would assume that maybe the Texas Eagle was turned into train 5 when it hit Chicago recently?

<_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back