extra bag in superliner sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
Regarding the "two bag limit," if you are traveling in a Superliner sleeper, does anyone know if it is permissible to take an extra bag (a smaller overnight bag that will fit in the roomette) in addition to the two bags that you store downstairs?

Yes. In addition to the two-bag limit there are things that don't count towards the two bags...diaper bag, computer bag, camera bag, walker, etc.

That said, I have boarded with a backpack and a camera bag and a "tote" (overnight) and never been challenged.

You should be fine.

In most cases if you can lug it yourself with out any extra help, then you can bring it on with you. On longer trips I usually travel with 2 carry on grips and a large bookbag I keep atlases, a scanner and other papers in and have never had any problems.

The storage room in the Superliner Sleepers is very tight. I have a 1980's vintage American Tourister hardside one suiter that fits nicely on te steps leading to the upper berth on both types of Sleepers. I added an over the shoulder carry-on bag to the mix this time. On Type I, plenty of room. On Type II, not so much. The luggage storage racks on the bottom level were absolutely full. One more full sized piece of luggage would not have fit.

I've often found the downstairs baggage area overflowing with luggage. After watching a SCA moving excess baggage from side to side on the Empire Builder (station platforms seemed to be always on alternating sides of the train), I've always checked luggage when possible. After all, if I have the time to travel by train, am I really concerned about waiting for my bags?

We try to check the two or three big bags,, and keep two small bags (my med bag is substantial - oh for a nebulizer the size of a pack of Marlboro's) for the sleeper, plus my laptop backpack and She Who Must Be Obeyed 's obligatory bag containing only God knows what. We try not to put anything in the luggage rack leaving room for others, but when we can't check bag's the big bags go there.

Although I have felt like we needed a Sherpa to board at times, no one has ever said a peep concerning our load.

It's not always possible to check bags at the smaller stations - some you can but not most of them. My experience was at such a station when I had trouble lifting my suitcase the SCA cheerfully grabbed it and stuck it in the downstairs baggage area for me. The SCA on the return trip helped me take it off when I disembarked. Of course I cheerfully tipped both of them.

I brought with me a big backpack, the suitcase and a rather large carryon. I saw people with 4 and 5 pieces get on without any flack. I don't think they're particularly strict about it.

On my recent Amtrak trip, one of the things that I did expect was more help with getting luggage on and off the train than I experienced. At NYP, my Red Cap delivered my luggage to my Roomette. On the Crescent, the SCA did offer to disembark my bag. At NOL on the SL, the SCA did not offer to help embark the luggage or take it to my Roomette and I had to ask him to remove it at LAX. On the SWC, the SCA did not offer to embark my luggage, but at CHI, she did remove the larger bag and was a great help in obtaining Red Cap assistance.

As far as I am concerned: another example that the only thing that is consistant about Amtrak is its inconsistency.

Luggage space is very tight in a Superliner roomette if there are 2 passengers. But when I am by my myself, I lower the upper bunk and place everything up there. Cuts down on headroom, but I'm used to the idea.

Courtesy says when you have limited availability (luggage area storage), you try and be courteous. It doesn't take long to get one's bags from the baggage car so being nice to those boarding or departing at no-baggage stations and, to others who would like to just store one bag instead of two is always appreciated.

No criticism intended as you may qualify as one of the above yourself.

Regarding the "two bag limit," if you are traveling in a Superliner sleeper, does anyone know if it is permissible to take an extra bag (a smaller overnight bag that will fit in the roomette) in addition to the two bags that you store downstairs?
Totally confused -- you ride the Superliner, yeah there may be room for two great big carryons down by the entry door, but if you board and depart at one of the few places that handle checked bags -- no prob.

If you board at a no-check-baggage place -- you can put bags in the Superliner lower-level bag space.

So what was the question?

You want to avoid (free) checked bags but also avoid what?

I totally don't get your question.

The deal on Superliner routes is -- you can "check" bags, seldom fails

You can take lots of carry-on that you stash in the lower-level racks. There is zero advantage using the downstairs racks vs checking bags. Except causing yourself annoyance, and your fellow=pax despise you -- never mind.

Don't understand the OP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back