Family travel- how essential is a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason why the seat turning could be a problem is that the seat "in front of" the opposite turned seat may not have as much room to recline! So you would be inconveniencing those passengers!
Aha! That's what I was missing. Lesson, get your family onto the train first and claim the two seats at the end of the car.

I've never been in a family bedroom, but would it be practical to take the short mattresses & put them on the floor to sleep for those who are taller than 4'?
Absolutely not. Once the beds are down, floor space with the ladder in place is barely large enough for two people to stand next to one another.

I've never been in a family bedroom, but would it be practical to take the short mattresses & put them on the floor to sleep for those who are taller than 4'?
Absolutely not. Once the beds are down, floor space with the ladder in place is barely large enough for two people to stand next to one another.
So, twice as much space as a roomette with the beds down? :lol:

So, twice as much space as a roomette with the beds down? :lol:
Basically, yes, maybe a bit more. But not much.

Another reason why the seat turning could be a problem is that the seat "in front of" the opposite turned seat may not have as much room to recline! So you would be inconveniencing those passengers!
Aha! That's what I was missing. Lesson, get your family onto the train first and claim the two seats at the end of the car.
The other big problem with seat turning is that it opens up a huge can of worms if there are multiple families/groups who want this configuration. Sometimes there is a group of 4 seats at the end that are "Reserved for Families." I've seen Conductors remove adult passengers from these seats if a family with children board the train. Obviously.. some conductors and car hosts care more than others.

IIRC, all the Superliner coach seats face forward, much like being on a bus or plane. On single-level cars, it seems like there are or were seats that faced each other at each end of the car. On dome cars with coach seating, the same thing seemed to be true: there were facing seats near the end of each of small seating sections (though not in the dome itself). For families or groups of 3 or 4 or more, are there seats in Superliners or Horizons (or Amfleets) that face each other, so that passengers traveling together don't have to sit separately or at least across the aisle (although sitting across the aisle is not necessarily that much of a problem, though)?

What I was referring to in my post is called a Bedroom Suite by Amtrak. Four full size bunk beds, two sofas two easy chairs and two bathrooms. It is formed by booking two side by side bedrooms and they open the door between the rooms to form one large bedroom. You get a discount on the additional space (room) because in Amtraks eyes you are only booking one room. I beliieve that you must make this reservation by phone as I don't see bedroom suites being offered online. If you can afford it, you'll have lots of room.

IIRC, all the Superliner coach seats face forward, much like being on a bus or plane. On single-level cars, it seems like there are or were seats that faced each other at each end of the car. On dome cars with coach seating, the same thing seemed to be true: there were facing seats near the end of each of small seating sections (though not in the dome itself). For families or groups of 3 or 4 or more, are there seats in Superliners or Horizons (or Amfleets) that face each other, so that passengers traveling together don't have to sit separately or at least across the aisle (although sitting across the aisle is not necessarily that much of a problem, though)?
Well the superliner seats CAN turn. Weather there are any groups of 4 seats though depends on how the seats have been turned, weather the Conductor or Car Host wants any groups of seats, and a good bit of Amtrak luck. Ha.

You get a discount on the additional space (room) because in Amtraks eyes you are only booking one room.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe so. You're just paying for 2 bedrooms. Just as if you reserve 2 roomettes. You don't get a discount for that.

A "Bedroom Suite" is just Bedrooms D & E or B & C (on a Superliner) or Bedrooms A & B (on a Viewliner) together.

You get a discount on the additional space (room) because in Amtraks eyes you are only booking one room.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe so. You're just paying for 2 bedrooms. Just as if you reserve 2 roomettes. You don't get a discount for that.

A "Bedroom Suite" is just Bedrooms D & E or B & C (on a Superliner) or Bedrooms A & B (on a Viewliner) together.
Agreed. There is no discount for booking a Bedroom suite. You pay whatever the cost of two bedrooms is. In fact, if you're unlucky enough, you could even find yourself paying for one Bedroom at one bucket level and the other at a higher bucket level.

Agreed. There is no discount for booking a Bedroom suite. You pay whatever the cost of two bedrooms is. In fact, if you're unlucky enough, you could even find yourself paying for one Bedroom at one bucket level and the other at a higher bucket level.

Perhaps thats the way it works. We've booked bedrooms but not Bedroom suites suite and my info comes from discussion with a passenger who I spoke with so it could very well be incorrect. Also does booking a bedroom suite say with adults and children have any bearing? Has anyone here tried this and what was the outcome?

I have travelled with kids, slept in coach, slept in a roomette, family bedroom, handicapped room and bedroom. My answer to your question would be this: Book the family bedroom. You will all be together. The two kids that slept in that room were around 5feet 4 inches tall and were fine in the shorter beds. You will save money by not paying for the meals. Splurge for a room at the Metro Plaza Hotel. Yes, its not the Ritz but its not a bad hotel whatsoever. I have also stayed there and that would beat the crud out of sitting in a train station in LA all night long. I don't even think its 5 minutes walking from the station...more like about 3 minutes. If you decide to stay at the Metro Plaza Hotel, make for sure you eat at Phillipes just down the street 1 block from there. They have .09 cent cups of coffee!

Perhaps thats the way it works. We've booked bedrooms but not Bedroom suites suite and my info comes from discussion with a passenger who I spoke with so it could very well be incorrect. Also does booking a bedroom suite say with adults and children have any bearing? Has anyone here tried this and what was the outcome?
The price for the rooms doesn't change regardless of whether it's all adults, or all children, or a mix of adults & children. Only the railfare changes based upon number of adults vs. children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back