Fare went down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Just bought tickets yesterday, and today noticed that the price went down by $50. Unfortunately, I had the tickets mailed to me, so I can't just cancel and re-book online. What are my options? If I just make another reservation and send the tickets in for refund, most of the savings will be wiped out by the 10% processing fee. Can I simply call Amtrak and request a refund or voucher for the fare difference? I've done this with airlines, but I'm not sure what Amtrak's policies are.

Call up Amtrak and see if the tickets have already been sent out. There is a good chance that they haven't yet been mailed. If indeed that is the case, then the agent should be able to modify your reservation to the lower price and credit your card back for the difference.

If they have gone out, then you can always ask for a voucher good for 1 year when you turn them in. That voucher will give you 100% of your money back, and you can send the voucher in prior to expiration and request a new voucher good for another year if you don't have a chance to use the voucher during the first year. Note: Don't let the voucher expire though, you must exchange it before the expiration date.

You could try to call and speak with an agent and see if they were not mailed yet. (You may get lucky!
wink.gif
) If so, see if they can book the new reservation BEFORE they cancel the original one. Also see if they can arrange for you to pick up those tickets at a staffed station (If at all possible). (Such as if you were going from A to B via CHI, you could pick up the return tickets if you want in CHI!)

EDIT: AlanB beat me to it!
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought tickets yesterday, and today noticed that the price went down by $50.
I don't think that Amtrak ever simply lowers their fares.

I would venture a guess that someone just cancelled a reservation made with a "lower bucket" fare. If so, that makes this the only one at that lower price, and you will need to grab it (book it) before someone else does.

Just called Amtrak and spoke to a very helpful agent. Unfortunately, the tickets went out, but the agent said that she can lock in the lower rate in my reservation. All I have to do is bring the tickets to a staffed station either on day of departure or beforehand, and get either (i) a voucher for the fare difference, or (ii) a refund of the fare difference, minus 10% of the refund amount. Sounds simple and straightforward.

I don't think that Amtrak ever simply lowers their fares.

I would venture a guess that someone just cancelled a reservation made with a "lower bucket" fare. If so, that makes this the only one at that lower price, and you will need to grab it (book it) before someone else does.
My guess is that this was some kind of "bucket readjustment", rather than a cancellation, because the price dropped on both the #7 and the #27 (they are one train as far as Spokane, but are priced separately).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back