Farewell AEM7 Farewell Trip (June 2016)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you planning to ride the special, this is some of what you can expect. Photo opportunity at the Halethorpe, MD station. You will be able to detrain and position yourself on either of the long platforms or overhead walkway for video or still photography. Please, stay behind the yellow stripe. The special will reverse out of the station, clear the interlocking and then return into the station for boarding.
Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over. At Philadelphia, it’s around the wye via the NY&P Subway.

At Wilmington, you’ll have your shop tour. Outside, featured locomotives on display are planned to be an AEM7, HHP8, P42 in Heritage paint scheme, 80 tonner 1100, ACS64 642 and P42 42. Now here’s the disclaimer, a lot can happen between now and June 18. Availability of the 642, 42 and Heritage P42 are all contingent on operating conditions and requirements near June 18.

One last reminder, don’t forget the waiver and this information is correct at time of this broadcast.
More info about excursion specifics.
Where/what is this: Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over.

For those of you planning to ride the special, this is some of what you can expect. Photo opportunity at the Halethorpe, MD station. You will be able to detrain and position yourself on either of the long platforms or overhead walkway for video or still photography. Please, stay behind the yellow stripe. The special will reverse out of the station, clear the interlocking and then return into the station for boarding.
Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over. At Philadelphia, it’s around the wye via the NY&P Subway.

At Wilmington, you’ll have your shop tour. Outside, featured locomotives on display are planned to be an AEM7, HHP8, P42 in Heritage paint scheme, 80 tonner 1100, ACS64 642 and P42 42. Now here’s the disclaimer, a lot can happen between now and June 18. Availability of the 642, 42 and Heritage P42 are all contingent on operating conditions and requirements near June 18.

One last reminder, don’t forget the waiver and this information is correct at time of this broadcast.
Where/what is this: Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over.
I believe this is the point of interest: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bellevue+State+Park/@39.7762616,-75.4790314,300m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c6e3137e9a3135:0x8f96e9db4bedce7b?hl=en

I believe this is the point of interest: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bellevue+State+Park/@39.7762616,-75.4790314,300m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c6e3137e9a3135:0x8f96e9db4bedce7b?hl=en
Thanks.

That is it.. I honestly hope they run the train on 2F instead of 1F... Unless they purposely want the train to run 1F to go 15MPH.. Unless that speed restriction has been lifted since Late January..

And as for 642... My reaction is this...

IMG_0566.JPG

OK. I am on board. Just got the ticket.
What took you so long? Someone posted a picture of the order screen at 9:02 - though I thought he should have waited till after he bought his ticket considering how fast they might sell out. :giggle:

Oh, I got my ticket at 9:00:56 :) I had everything set to go and hit the button at about 9:00:02 :)

Appropriately the train number is 942!

incidentally, they are still available as of 9:44

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 9:45, there are still tickets available. Alas, I cannot justify spending the money on this while I'm unemployed.

STILL not sold out as of this comment lol. Foamers be slackin' :p
Remember the pool is limited since the train is coming out of Washington. I think they should have gone with the plan a really cool person suggested and run two smaller trains with one originating in NYP and the other originating in WAS, meeting in Wilmington Shops. There was the logistical problem of the run by on the New York end, but Newark probably could have handled it.

Moderator Note: This comment was posted in a new thread and was merged into the current AEM-7 thread

Amtrak will honor the retirement of the AEM-7’s by conducting a special farewell trip on Saturday, June 18, the company said. The train will leave from Washington, D.C. in the morning and chug toward Philadelphia, where it will turn around and head south. It will stop at the mechanical shops in Wilmington, Del. on the way back to D.C., Amtrak said...Tickets for the trip are available to the public and can be purchased from Amtrak for $155 for adults.
Amtrak will retire more than 50 locomotives

STILL not sold out as of this comment lol. Foamers be slackin' :p
Remember the pool is limited since the train is coming out of Washington. I think they should have gone with the plan a really cool person suggested and run two smaller trains with one originating in NYP and the other originating in WAS, meeting in Wilmington Shops. There was the logistical problem of the run by on the New York end, but Newark probably could have handled it.
In addition to NYC being a bigger inherent source of ridership, it has better connections. Coming from upstate NY, catching a train originating at NYP is a lot easier than catching one originating at WAS, and the same is true for anyone from New England.

(I managed to miss the special originating from Albany due to scheduling conflicts, though...)

The train will leave from Washington, D.C. in the morning and chug toward Philadelphia, where it will turn around and head south.
Writers can never resist that word in train stories. But if there's one thing an electric locomotive does not do... it's "chug."

The train will leave from Washington, D.C. in the morning and chug toward Philadelphia, where it will turn around and head south.
Writers can never resist that word in train stories. But if there's one thing an electric locomotive does not do... it's "chug."
Might be some chugging going on in the cafe car. :p

They certainly to spit a lot though ;) Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that the train will spit its way to Philadelphia :p

SQUEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLL!

The boy-child and I will be there with our proverbial bells on. Cannot wait to tell him when I collect him from school today.

Back