FINDING RAIL BUDDIES

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

travbug

I am about to take my first trip on Amtrak, I am just wondering if you are allowed to split the cost of a roomette (etc.) with another traveler or do you have to pay for accomodations individually. If you can share the cost, does anyone know of any forums to find other solo Amtrak travelers? Thanks for any tips/advice!!!

Hi,

The cost of a Roomette, or Bedroom is the same, whether one person or two are travelling. The basic rail fare per passenger is added to the room cost. The difficulty seems to be that you need to find a travel companion before you reserve your room, in order to keep the paperwork in order. I don't know of any websites that would be of use, most people I believe would not be too keen to share with a stranger in a private arrangement. It is common in Europe to have several individuals

in a sleeper compartment (couchette), but this is done via the rail booking system, not on an informal basis.

Ed :cool:

Most people here will poobah your idea, saying it's un-American. And I don't know of any forum that does what you want.

That being said, it could work. Whether you reserve the room first or recruit the companion first, both of you would have to be named on the reservation. If you reserve the room first, paying the rail fare and accommodation charge (usually the higher of the two), and then recruit a companion, you would have to call Amtrak to add them to the reservation; and another rail fare, but NOT accommodation charge, would be due. You could then split the accommodation charge.

As Caravan mentioned the formula for two people in sleeper is 2 x rail fare + 1 x accommodation charge. So, if you split the latter equally, the formula per person is 1 rail fare + 1/2 accommodation charge.

As said, the cost of the room is the same for 1 or 2 passengers in the room. However if 2 people are going to be in the room, this must be booked before travel begins with both names.

I do not know of any site that does what you want. (I personally would not want to travel with a stranger!) However if you join this site, and people get to know you by your postings, you may get a traveling companion sometime in the future! (I'm not saying you will, but I have gotten to know many posters - and some I would consider as friends!
mosking.gif
)

interesting information. The same price weather there is one or two people?
The accomodation charge is for room, not for the berth. Think of it like a hotel room that can sleep one or two; you are paying for the room, not the individual beds. If there are two people traveling, that is 2 rail fares and 1 accomodation charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have if you were going to LA this past July and you lived near NYC. Its a shame. I could have used a travel buddy and got myself a roomette cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back