Fireworks greet the Texas Eagle in Hope, ARK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stntylr

OBS Chief
Picture from this morning as the Texas Eagle makes it's first stop in Hope, Ark.

http://www.hopeprescott.com/fireworks-welcome-amtrak-to-hope-depot/

01-IMG_8931-600x338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice indeed.

I wonder how many other towns along active Amtrak routes would take advantage of the opportunity to put up the money and add themselves to the Amtrak network? I'd bet that there are more than we might realize.

Very nice indeed.
I wonder how many other towns along active Amtrak routes would take advantage of the opportunity to put up the money and add themselves to the Amtrak network? I'd bet that there are more than we might realize.
Just about any place that has a (Ex)President that calls this his home town !

Good thing the train doesn't stop there during the day, as the fireworks display would have much less

impressive. :)

Nice to see the excitement in Hope about getting train service. Impressive that 100 people got on before 5:30 AM for inaugural trip.

A google search says the nearest commercial airport is Texarkana Regional Airport. Which appears to be only served by American Eagle. And the airport is slated to have the air traffic control tower closed on May 5 when the FAA withdraws funding due to the sequestration. Interesting. Air traffic can still use the airport, but American Eagle may not want to fly to an airport w/o a manned control tower.

The Texas Eagle may get more business in Hope starting in May than Amtrak was anticipating.

Anyone know what the bus service options are for Hope AK? Given how much fuss the town made over the start of TE service, my guess is that the bus service options are limited.

Nice to see the excitement in Hope about getting train service. Impressive that 100 people got on before 5:30 AM for inaugural trip.
A google search says the nearest commercial airport is Texarkana Regional Airport. Which appears to be only served by American Eagle. And the airport is slated to have the air traffic control tower closed on May 5 when the FAA withdraws funding due to the sequestration. Interesting. Air traffic can still use the airport, but American Eagle may not want to fly to an airport w/o a manned control tower.

The Texas Eagle may get more business in Hope starting in May than Amtrak was anticipating.

Anyone know what the bus service options are for Hope AK? Given how much fuss the town made over the start of TE service, my guess is that the bus service options are limited.
Greyhound appears to have daily departures to Dallas (westbound) and Little Rock (eastbound).

As far as the control tower...it's not unusual for a small airport's control tower to have limited hours, and some small

airports with commercial service don't have a control tower at all. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

I can imagine there were just a few very surprised passengers aboard that train who were clueless about the new Hope stop... And were thrown awake in their seats/sleepers with a start when fireworks began erupting outside the train at 5:30 AM!

I wonder if the conductors and attendants remembered to say something the night before about the possible disruption.

Now when will the Texas Eagle finally start stopping at Crawford Texas this town (with George W. Bush's ranch outside of) the eagle also goes through.

I don't know if anyone else looked through the photos of this article but it looks like the crowd was accommodated in the Sightseer Lounge, so the train didn't have a bunch of empty seats for its run except for the hour between Hope and Texarkana between 5 and 6am.

Eh, there are dozens of airports that don't have control towers, but are still served by the a commercial airline. It's really not a deciding factor. And this is before the planned tower cuts are to take place.

I don't know if anyone else looked through the photos of this article but it looks like the crowd was accommodated in the Sightseer Lounge, so the train didn't have a bunch of empty seats for its run except for the hour between Hope and Texarkana between 5 and 6am.
Looks like one of the few times that the vestibule for the SSL was used to embark and disembark passengers. Make sense though, considering the time of morning and the party atmosphere.

Looks like one of the few times that the vestibule for the SSL was used to embark and disembark passengers. Make sense though, considering the time of morning and the party atmosphere.
I bet there weren't any lounge lizards sleeping there that night!

No fireworks for us this morning, :angry: just a busted rail up a head. Good news, they are going to walk us over the break.

Wonder if the cafe attendant opened early to take advantage of the crowd. Would seem like some easy bonus tips!

Those Union guys almost NEVER go against their own rules no matter how much it makes sense. It's hard enough getting some of them to do the work they are supposed to.

Anyone know, in the end, how much it cost to add that stop in Hope? Also would be very interested to know the breakdown of the cost: State, county, city, UP, Amtrak, etc.

No fireworks for us this morning, :angry: just a busted rail up a head. Good news, they are going to walk us over the break.
Joe....

Do you mean that they had everyone get off the train and walk past the 'busted rail' or what?

That would be a serious early morning wake up :eek:

I'm confused - not an unusual state for me :p

Joe....

Do you mean that they had everyone get off the train and walk past the 'busted rail' or what?

I suspect he meant the train would go very slowly over the busted rail, hence "walk".

Joe....

I suspect he meant the train would go very slowly over the busted rail, hence "walk".
Ah, like I said... confused :)

Learn something new every day - thanks.

Joe....

Ah, like I said... confused :)

Learn something new every day - thanks.
Well, I could be wrong :eek: but that is my interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back