First Coast Starlight Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLY

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

Finally getting around to taking my first long distance train trip since 2007. I've decided on the Coast Starlight. I have used the search function and read some previous trip reports. Seems like a popular route. Here's my plans:

I'm planning to get a Roomette from EUG (Eugene, OR) to VNC (Van Nuys, CA). I will be arriving to Eugene by rental car and will return it to the nearby airport. I am hoping that getting from the airport to the station will be minimally difficult. I plan to print my tickets from the Quik-Trak machine when I arrive just before I board. (I will be traveling for several days prior and don't want to lose them!) I assume this will not be an issue.

Since I will board at 5:10PM (scheduled), I plan to eat dinner onboard. I am very anxious to experience the Parlour Car.

I have read many discussions about the views one can experience on this route. I am hopeful that I am not missing all of the good sights between Seattle and Eugene and that there will still be something nice for me to see on the way to Los Angeles. Having not booked, I don't know which roomette I will get. Once I do, I assume someone here can tell me if I'm getting the "good side" of the train and will face the "right direction." If not, I can always venture down to the Parlour or Sightseeer, I guess.

When I arrive in Van Nuys, I'll need to figure out the easiest and best way to get to the Burbank Airport.

So, are there any things I should be aware of for this trip as "do not miss" items?

I did notice that for some reason the price went up by about $40 in the last few days. Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,
Hey there! Welcome to AU.

Finally getting around to taking my first long distance train trip since 2007. I've decided on the Coast Starlight. I have used the search function and read some previous trip reports. Seems like a popular route. Here's my plans:
Check mine out--it's linked in my signature below.

I'm planning to get a Roomette from EUG (Eugene, OR) to VNC (Van Nuys, CA). I will be arriving to Eugene by rental car and will return it to the nearby airport. I am hoping that getting from the airport to the station will be minimally difficult. I plan to print my tickets from the Quik-Trak machine when I arrive just before I board. (I will be traveling for several days prior and don't want to lose them!) I assume this will not be an issue.
Shouldn't. Eugene is both staffed and has Quik-Trak machines. Waiting as long as possible before printing has two benefits: it reduces the chance you'll lose the tickets and it also allows for maximum flexibility for changes and cancellations. (Note that sleeping accommodation charges are only fully refundable 7 or more days prior to departure, though you can change them and use the value towards another ticket with no problem up until departure.)

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about transiting around the town of Eugene. Someone else here may have words of wisdom on that for you.

Since I will board at 5:10PM (scheduled), I plan to eat dinner onboard. I am very anxious to experience the Parlour Car.
You're boarding early in the run, so it's not likely the train will be significantly delayed. I'm not sure what time they stop serving dinner, but if the train is much delayed, be prepared to miss out on dinner that evening and have a backup plan. Also, I'm not sure if they'll do it, but you can ask the station manager if he or she can call the train and secure you a dinner reservation. I believe I've heard of that happening a time or two here before. Alternatively, you can pray you get a proactive sleeper attendant who will already have taken care of that issue for you (another thing I've heard happen here!).

I have read many discussions about the views one can experience on this route. I am hopeful that I am not missing all of the good sights between Seattle and Eugene and that there will still be something nice for me to see on the way to Los Angeles. Having not booked, I don't know which roomette I will get. Once I do, I assume someone here can tell me if I'm getting the "good side" of the train and will face the "right direction." If not, I can always venture down to the Parlour or Sightseeer, I guess.
I'll be able to expand on this a bit more after next week, when I'll be traveling the SEA-PDX route, but aside from nice foliage and perhaps a mountain vista or two between SEA and PDX, the most scenic part of the northern end of the journey is the running along side Puget Sound just south of Tacoma along Point Defiance (it's actually just north of the station, because the train sort of heads northwest before turning back to the south when heading south of Tacoma). Otherwise, I get the impression the scenery is mostly flat and only mildly interesting all the way through the southern end of the Willamette Valley (or at least to Eugene), at which point you turn east and start heading through the Cascades. You then wind through gorgeous mountains and along placid lakes until you reach the northern edge of California's Sacramento Valley. The scenery is mostly then flat and uninteresting until well south of the Bay Area, when you start to get into the wine country of Paso Robles (my old home!) and then climb Cuesta Grade (be watching for the scenic horseshoe curve!). Not far south from San Luis Obispo, you come to the coastline and then parallel the ocean for a good several hours before turning inland and arriving shortly thereafter at Van Nuys. It's this southern part along the water that gives the train its name, and it's definitely a highlight of the trip. Heading south, there's a chance you'll miss some of the scenery if the train is delayed (or you're traveling in the winter), as the sun can set before you pass this majestic part of the trip. If not, though, have your camera ready for the quintissential California vista!

The best side of the train to be on will depend on what part of the line you're on. The coast will be on the right side of the train, but north of that, scenery can be on either side. Unfortunately, you can never predict what side your roomette will be on (because the car can be oriented in either direction--there is no standard), but you're right--you'll definitely be able to partake of the views from the Parlour Car or the Sightseer Lounge.

When I arrive in Van Nuys, I'll need to figure out the easiest and best way to get to the Burbank Airport.
The late arrival of the Coast Starlight in Van Nuys (8:05pm) presents some challenges to getting to BUR. Normally, you'd just wait until the next passing Metrolink and ride it one stop, but Metrolink doesn't run its Ventura County trains southbound that late.

Fortunately, Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner does run 7 days a week and has a 9:04pm departure, which will whisk you to the airport in 8 minutes. Your Coast Starlight can even be delayed by almost a full hour, and all it will do is reduce your waiting time at VNC. :)

(If you do want to pursue this option, you can pre-book the Pacific Surfliner's ticket in advance and mark it for pick-up at the VNC station using a Metrolink ticketing machine, thus allowing you to cancel and refund it if you miss your connection.)

If your train is later than the Surfliner's departure, there are other options (some which take you on bus routes WAY out of the way)--see Google Transit for more details (you can play with the "Depart At" time to see your options if your train is late).

So, are there any things I should be aware of for this trip as "do not miss" items?
Eat in the Pacific Parlour Car! It's a treat reserved only for sleeper passengers, and it's very different from the normal dining car menu (especially noteworthy if you plan on traveling other trains in the near future!).

Also, have your camera out for the sections from Eugene south (east) through the Cascade Range and then from Paso Robles south to Ventura.

I did notice that for some reason the price went up by about $40 in the last few days. Is that normal?
There's a link in my signature to an explanation of how Amtrak fare buckets work. But yes, it is "normal" in that fares can rise any time.

If you're familiar with airline pricing at all, you'll find Amtrak's fare structure remarkably simple. Unlike airlines, there are a set number of fare buckets (four in coach and five in sleeper, IIRC), and each fare bucket always has the same fare associated with it. Amtrak doesn't place artificial restrictions on fare buckets such as minimum advance purchase, round trip requirements, Saturday night stay restrictions, or the like, and they don't play games like introducing new, lower fare buckets to try to stimulate demand. The way it works is this: If there are 12 (arbitrary number) roomettes available in the lowest fare bucket and 10 of them are booked, and three days before departure you snag the 11th room in that lowest bucket, you'll still pay the lowest bucket. But if (as was probably your case) there were 12 (again, arbitrary number) roomettes in whatever fare bucket you were first looking at and 11 were booked, all it took is someone booking that 12th roomette and then the bucket is "kicked" over to the next more expensive one ($40 more, in your case). So with Amtrak, it always pays to book early, as you never know how many rooms are left in whatever fare bucket you see (and it's very rare to see a price go down--some mass cancellations would have to happen). With Amtrak, too, there's almost no reason not to book as soon as you have even a rough idea of your plans, since [almost--but don't worry about this!] tickets are fully refundable as long as you have not yet picked up your physical tickets (which is why we always suggest waiting until the last minute to print them out!).

Safe travels, and do keep us posted as to your progress--and treat us to a nice trip report after you're done! :)

Hi everyone,

I agree with Jackal about eating in the Parlour Car. Usually they do reservations for the diner and Parlour Car for dinner, ( and lunch) so depending on your Sleeping Car Attendant, he/she may reserve it for you in advance of your boarding.

There is some beautiful country through Oregon & Northern Cal, keep your camera handy. If you are a night owl, you may want to stay up to look at Mount Shasta-you can check the sunset/ moonrise times here If you enjoy drinking wine, be sure you go to the wine tasting the next afternoon! It's only $5 for sleeper passengers. There are many trip reports on the main page of this board, I suggest you check them out for more info. Enjoy your trip! We did!

Sleeping car attendants are required to secure reservations for passengers boarding after the reservation process but before or during a meal period. Most LSA's when they are walking through the sleepers taking reservations from the passengers already on board also remind their sleeping car attendants to make reservations for those passengers.

I agree with jackal on the 2 scenic portions. The northern portion in OR is mountaineous (although it may be dark when you pass through) and the southern part in CA is right along the Pacific Ocean coastline! You'll be going along the coastline at sunset!

If you're lucky, as I was last October, I was stopped next to a bay just as the sun dropped below the ocean on the horizon! BEAUTIFUL - and being in the PPC made it more so! ;)

I know driving and traffic is a factor, but if you continue to LAX, there is a Flyaway bus that goes directly from the train station to LAX (the airport) where you could also get a rental.

The way it works is this: If there are 12 (arbitrary number) roomettes available in the lowest fare bucket and 10 of them are booked, and three days before departure you snag the 11th room in that lowest bucket, you'll still pay the lowest bucket. But if (as was probably your case) there were 12 (again, arbitrary number) roomettes in whatever fare bucket you were first looking at and 11 were booked, all it took is someone booking that 12th roomette and then the bucket is "kicked" over to the next more expensive one ($40 more, in your case). So with Amtrak, it always pays to book early, as you never know how many rooms are left in whatever fare bucket you see (and it's very rare to see a price go down--some mass cancellations would have to happen).
No mass cancellation required: All it takes is one cancellation, even from a nearly-full sleeper, to potentially put a lowest-bucket fare back into the system.

Say there are 15 roomettes, and 5 buckets with 3 roomettes in each. The first three roomette reservations--roomettes 1, 2, and 3, made by passengers A, B, and C--are at the lowest bucket... and then when D, E, and F reserve the next three they get roomettes 4, 5, and 6 at the next bucket up, and so on... and now when you're ready to book you discover there's only one roomette remaining, roomette 15 (passengers A through O reserved the other fourteen) and that one remaining roomette is offered at the most expensive bucket. You hem and haw and wait a day and check back. And in that day, passenger B just had to change his plans and cancelled. So now there are still thirteen roomettes booked, and there are two for sale... so that new one is offered at the most expensive bucket, just like the fifteenth, right? Nope! The new roomette is roomette 2, and roomette 2 was initially sold at the lowest bucket... so it goes back into the system to be sold again at that same bucket.

So, if there are 15 roomettes evenly distributed among the buckets and 14 are sold already, and then one passenger cancels (just as above)... there's actually a 21% chance that there will suddenly be a lowest-bucket roomette available again, and a 42% chance that the newly available roomette will be in one of the lowest two buckets. Compared to the highest bucket, that's likely to be a savings of a few hundred dollars, or more, depending on how far you're riding.

Now, I don't know if the roomettes are evenly distributed like that--it's possible that if there are 15 roomettes they'd be distributed among the buckets as 2, 3, 5, 3, 2 for instance, instead of 3, 3, 3, 3, 3. In that case, with 14 roomettes reserved and one last minute cancellation, there's only a 14% chance the cancellation is of a lowest-bucket roomette and a 35% chance it's in one of the lowest two buckets. But still, decent odds that a last-minute fare drop can happen as a result of a single cancellation.

Hi everyone,

I agree with Jackal about eating in the Parlour Car. Usually they do reservations for the diner and Parlour Car for dinner, ( and lunch) so depending on your Sleeping Car Attendant, he/she may reserve it for you in advance of your boarding.

There is some beautiful country through Oregon & Northern Cal, keep your camera handy. If you are a night owl, you may want to stay up to look at Mount Shasta-you can check the sunset/ moonrise times here If you enjoy drinking wine, be sure you go to the wine tasting the next afternoon! It's only $5 for sleeper passengers. There are many trip reports on the main page of this board, I suggest you check them out for more info. Enjoy your trip! We did!

I find the Pacific Parlor food much better than the general dining car if you like their limited menu selections, which sometimes I do; sometimes I don't.

As far as your connection to Burbank Airport, here is what you do. Assuming you arrive in Van Nuys on time, at 8:05 PM, you can catch a Pacific Surfliner train at 9:04 PM. It will get to Burbank Airport, 8 mins later at 9:12 PM. Its only a few miles from Van Nuys, so if you can't wait for that train, a cab ride won't be expensive.

Are you planning on taking a flight that night? If so, I would think twice about that. Although the Coast Starlight has immensely improved its on time performance, I still wouldn't book a flight. Maybe a redeye flight that leave around midnight or something.

On Train 11, I would venture that the best views from EUG south would be on the right side. In the Willamette Pass, after the first horseshoe turn (on the trestle over Salt Creek) the right side will look down into the canyon, of which the train has just come up the other side (don't know if the tracks are visible, though). After the second horseshoe turn (less dramatic, and mostly in a tunnel), the views will be to the left, where passengers can see the track that the train has just been on. However, by that time, depending on the length of days and the train's punctuality, it may well be already dark. Crescent Lake, near the summit, is on the left, but views of it may be obscured by darkness and/or a parked train or cut of cars.

Klamath Lake is on the right, but late or not, the train will pass it in the dark. Mt. Shasta will be on the left, but the train will also pass it in the night (unless it's way late). Daybreak will probably find you somewhere north of Sacramento. On the left side of the train you can see the miles and miles of railroad yards before arrival at the station. The crossing of the Delta just north of Martinez is probably equally interesting on either side. From Martinez south, best views are probably of the San Pablo and San Francisco bays on the right.

Approaching San Luis Obispo, coming down the Cuesta Grade, the best views are on the left, though being on the right will let you see the prison just north of SLO. :D South of SLO, the best views of the ocean are on the right, where, as others have pointed out, the train (at least the Coast part of it) gets its name.

Are you planning on taking a flight that night? If so, I would think twice about that. Although the Coast Starlight has immensely improved its on time performance, I still wouldn't book a flight. Maybe a redeye flight that leave around midnight or something.
Nope, renting a car there and flying out a few days later.

Thanks to everyone for the replies thusfar. I will probably book before this weekend.

Burbank Airport has a curfew of 10pm on flights (currently they're trying to make it earlier.)

So if they have any red-eyes at all, they won't be very late, and even if you find a flight headed the right place that leaves just before 10pm, that's cutting it awfully close. And that's IF train 11 is on time. If it's not on time, that had better be a refundable airline ticket...

Edit: Sorry you posted just as I did. Problem solved. :)

Burbank Airport has a curfew of 10pm on flights (currently they're trying to make it earlier.)
So if they have any red-eyes at all, they won't be very late, and even if you find a flight headed the right place that leaves just before 10pm, that's cutting it awfully close. And that's IF train 11 is on time. If it's not on time, that had better be a refundable airline ticket...

Edit: Sorry you posted just as I did. Problem solved. :)
Yeah, but you may have given a heads-up to a future traveler. :D

Aloha

Having just been in the area for the OTOL SoCal Fest I wish I could remember the stops etc. but there is a Metrolink Stop at the Burbank Airport, Amtrack California trains may also stop in Burbank while the Coast Starlight wont. Both should show on their schedule info web pages

Eric

looking for my memory.

Aloha

Having just been in the area for the OTOL SoCal Fest I wish I could remember the stops etc. but there is a Metrolink Stop at the Burbank Airport, Amtrack California trains may also stop in Burbank while the Coast Starlight wont. Both should show on their schedule info web pages

Eric

looking for my memory.
Here's a link to the Metrolink Ventura Line schedule. It looks like the last Metrolink runs through Van Nuys long before the CS comes in.

A cab from Eugene airport car rental return to the Amtrak station will probably be pricey. Does your car rental firm have a downtown location? The Eugene Amtrak station can be very busy. The staff are friendly and helpful. Your sleeping car attendant will have your dinner reservation for the dining car. If you prefer the parlour car, ask about making the change asap. Parlour car selections are more interesting than the usual dining car fare, some even spicy. There was an apple caramel dessert a few months ago that must have been pretty good or I wouldn't remember it. Others have filled you in on where to sit when for the best views. All pretty subjective. If you get into Salinas ahead of schedule take a look at the murals inside the station. If you're on time or late don't even try. Not worth getting left behind. Have a great trip.

AlcoLoco

Aloha

Eric

looking for my memory.
Here's a link to the Metrolink Ventura Line schedule. It looks like the last Metrolink runs through Van Nuys long before the CS comes in.
Hence why I suggested the Pacific Surfliner and, failing that, the various bus options. ;)

I've been booked into Room 012. I think the last time I had an upper level room, and not sure which side of the train that means I'll be on.

Any comments on that position, and what is the procedure should I want an upper level room?

Aloha

Eric

looking for my memory.
Hence why I suggested the Pacific Surfliner and, failing that, the various bus options. ;)
The Pacific Surfliner appears to stop at Van Nuys about an hour after Train 11 is scheduled to stop. If the CS is on time, or even less than an hour late, there should be no problem with the connection.

Any comments about lower level vs. upper level with my room placement?

Roomettes 2-10 are on the upper level. Higher numbered rooms are below. I prefer the upper level for the view. An agent can make a change if space is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back